Recommendations needed for books/conversations to get a toddler used to idea of a new sibling

(10 Posts)
gutzgutz Wed 10-Jul-13 10:05:45

There's a line in 'there's a house inside my mummy' that always makes me hmm grin. If you get it you will see what I mean! I don't think you can prepare toddlers for such an event really. Just be patient when it happens. DS1 and 2 (2.9 and 6 months) now really love each other, it's great to see. Also a present from the baby helps plus big brother presents from friends.

AlbertaWildRose Wed 10-Jul-13 01:52:27

We used 'Waiting for Baby' and 'My New Baby' for subsequent pregnancies, and I think they really helped the older ones understand what was happening. My kids were all book crazy, but I think that any toddler would benefit from them.

Believeitornot Tue 09-Jul-13 22:09:30

Don't make a big deal of it. We didn't mention it to ds until I was near the end and even then kept it quite vague. Then we just brought baby dd home and that was it.

You can't ever fully prepare a toddler - they don't have that appreciation of time. So just be armed with techniques for when baby is actually here as opposed to building it up and actually making it worse.

PeriodMath Tue 09-Jul-13 21:58:02

Ooh, I'm looking for one too - ideally for a big brother to a baby sister! I don't want to get his hopes up it might be a boy - it won't.

Letticetheslug Tue 09-Jul-13 21:56:48

Dino baby..all about a new baby (dinosaur) arriving..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dino-Baby-Mark-Sperring/dp/1408836726/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373403347&sr=1-1&keywords=dino+baby

PoppyWearer Tue 09-Jul-13 21:55:43

Don't start too soon or you risk a backlash!

We also used "There's a House Inside My Mummy" and Topsy and Tim.

mummywantsaliedown Tue 09-Jul-13 21:54:22

I used to say things like, 'the baby will be happy to have you for a big sister' mostly. And occasionally point out other babies with their siblings. As the time grew nearer, I told her that it was nearly time for the baby to come, and that I'd be going to the hospital to have her. Stuff like that.

Flossie82 Tue 09-Jul-13 21:53:36

my DD loved Topsy and Tim new baby book

Zaza's Baby Brother and There's a House inside my Mummy were the two we used.

MrsBloop Tue 09-Jul-13 21:46:30

DS will be 2 and a half when the baby arrives in four months time, and I'd like a book or two to read to him to plant the idea that the baby is coming to live in our house etc. We make mention of 'our baby' in passing, and he kisses my tummy and says "hello" to the baby, not sure what else we could or should be doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now