Before I had kids I never understood...

(135 Posts)
ellesabe Fri 31-May-13 10:28:20

...why it always took so bloody long for a family of four to get in/out of the car.

Surely you just put the kids in their seats and click the buckle in. Right?

grin

Any more?

Why parents let their toddlers go out dressed like 'that', because parents are in full control of what their DC wears and are able to drag clothes onto something flailing like a recalcitrant octopus.

Why parents don't just say 'no' to their children and that would be the end of it. I have a very persuasive 2 yo who won't take 'no' for an answer, though I was secretly delighted this week when after a long discussion she declared, "I'm not going to play with you because you said 'no'".

girliefriend Sat 08-Jun-13 23:00:32

Love this thread, have been to a bbq this afternoon were it was mostly adults who haven't yet had children.

I felt them judge me and my dd when she ran around very over excited, when she ate way too many crisps and would only eat the bun of the hotdog ('the sausage is a bit different to the Richmond ones we have at home mummy') and in a million other ways that I too would have judged pre child blush

Did inwardly smile at my friend looking at another 5yo boy who was also running around like 5yos do when she said 'What is wrong with him?!!

She will learn grin

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 08-Jun-13 23:17:52

Oh god blush I've just remembered when DS was a newborn and I was sooooo judgy of the mum next door who was constantly (to my ears) screaming and shouting at her four year old son.

Fast forward four years and I probably am that mum sad

2kidsintow Sat 08-Jun-13 23:40:37

That anyone would willingly pick up a wasp in their hand. One landed on DD1's face and I didn't think twice, just scooped up the wasp (that I would normally be backing away from hastily) and wafted it out of the window.

GetYourSocksOff Sun 09-Jun-13 22:03:37

How women could let themselves talk in such a ridiculous way to children.

Now I catch myself often sometimes and think, dear god I sound like a cbeebies presenter wannabe. And even though I'm thinking that, and the voice in my head is muttering stop, STOP it right now can you HEAR yourself, I just keep going.

(might need to post on the children affecting your mental health thread next hmm )

GetYourSocksOff Sun 09-Jun-13 22:05:51

and YES to all the judgy behaviour stuff.

No way were my kids going to mess me around, just let them try it.

hahahahahaaaaahhaha blush

SquidgyMummy Sun 09-Jun-13 22:18:13

Why you automatically hold your hands out to catch vomit

The contents of your own baby's nappy isn't disgusting and you quite often examine it to check s/he is eating ok or is that just me

Never truly understood the meaning of "relentless"

flipflopson5thavenue Tue 11-Jun-13 21:05:34

I never understood why friends with kids took so long to reply to texts. Surely you have 5 mins to spare once the kids are in bed? And surely in those 5 mins replying to MY text MUST be their number one priority??

And i used to think " my baby will never have a snotty nose". ahem...

Although to be honest i still find myself being judgy about future stages, as DS is only 11 mo. Stuff like "he certainly wont be having chocolate or junk food til he's x yrs old etc". I guess i should learn from experience!,

BigDomsWife Fri 14-Jun-13 12:48:54

Why Mums 'let themselves go' after they had children. Why do they put on weight, have flabby tummies & such shabby hair when they could look so gorgeous? I'll never let myself go just because I have children I used to think

Ha ha. Here I am 2 stone heaver, looking 5 months pregnant unkempt and shabby everything. That reminds me I need to shower and get dressed. . .

mamij Fri 14-Jun-13 13:11:37

Loving this thread! Agree with all the above posts!

Also, why do mums sing to their children in public i.e. in the supermarket, pushing a buggy on the street, in the park.

Why would you let your children play in the bath for an hour? Surely it's easier to do it quickly as possible?

Now I am both these mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now