Before I had kids I never understood...

(135 Posts)
ellesabe Fri 31-May-13 10:28:20

...why it always took so bloody long for a family of four to get in/out of the car.

Surely you just put the kids in their seats and click the buckle in. Right?

grin

Any more?

BalloonSlayer Fri 31-May-13 11:56:02

Why parents lifted up their babies and smelled their bums.

Why parents made such a fuss about their DCs having sweets (am aghast at how much crap my DCs can eat if I don't limit it)

enormouse Fri 31-May-13 11:56:50

Parents who haven't bothered to put socks on their kids. I mean how hard is it to stick their socks back on and the poor things feet must be freezing.
[Judgey face/slight cats bum mouth emoticon]

Fast forward to DS who hates socks and shoes and will take them off as I put them on and is now too big for sock-ons. I've lost track of how many socks I've lost in asda/at grannys/round the shops.

BalloonSlayer Fri 31-May-13 11:59:21

Why parents sent DCs to school in trousers that are too short (they can suddenly grow overnight and the trousers were fine the day before)

Why parents send DCs to school with no coats (he has left TWO coats at school, I am not buying a third for it to be left at school as well, he can bloody well get cold on the way to school and hopefully that'll remind him to LOOK for a coat when he sodding well gets there)

Ditto raincoat

Ditto PE kit

Ditto character lunchbox and lunch in a plastic bag.

Why it takes months to organise a meal out of an evening when you're a parent.

Why you don't have any money (spent on childcare)

Why parents go on about their kids. It's because we're too tired to think of anything else witty to say.

Why you must leave work at 5pm.

cupcake78 Fri 31-May-13 12:06:35

Why parents would go out with snail trails on their clothes. Surely you'd get changed before you go out.

Little did I realise you can get changed every hour on the hour and your still covered from top to toe grin

GoblinGranny Fri 31-May-13 12:08:17

'Why parents lifted up their babies and smelled their bums.'

I used to worry that DD would think that's what you did instead of a handshake. That she'd go round sniffing random babybums. grin

cupcake78 Fri 31-May-13 12:10:55

My dsis (no children) still thinks pregnant ladies just make a fuss and should get on with it! Crying baby's are the fault of the parents and naughty toddlers just need a firm hand. Hahahahaha. When she has other people's children they behave winkgringringrin.

Me and my other sister can't wait for her to get pregnant. We're both just going to sit back and watch.

noisytoys Fri 31-May-13 12:15:20

Why small children never wear clothes that fit. They are always too big or too small. I now realise babies and toddlers clothes are bought with growing room then fit properly for about half an hour before they are too small grin

spiderlight Fri 31-May-13 12:17:49

Why parents don't teach their kids to play quietly when they're on the phone.

Why mums had to breastfeed in public, could they not just wait until they got home? I thought babies were only fed every four hours...

Jojobump1986 Fri 31-May-13 12:43:27

Why SAHMs would send their children to nursery - surely they should want to spend time with their own children?! I still don't plan on sending mine, but I totally get why people do!

Why my DSis couldn't just let DNiece (5) stay with us for a couple of days without ringing several times to check on her. Did she not trust us?! DS has recently spent 24 hours with my parents, during which I was in regular text-contact with DMum & a whole weekend with DPILs which was agony because I wasn't in contact with them at all. DH rang them once just to check pick-up arrangements. DS was fine & had a great time!

MadameOvary Fri 31-May-13 12:51:41

Why parents didn't just take their squawking, screaming progeny home rather than deafen everyone within earshot. So inconsiderate.

How little I knew.

NeedsAHome Fri 31-May-13 12:54:39

How someone could kiss their snotty/vomit spattered child.

SimoneDeBeaver Fri 31-May-13 12:57:22

Why on earth anyone would bring a baby on a long-haul flight. And FFS, can't they just feed it to shut it up? This is like my honeymoon flight, innit.

Now I have 3 siblings living abroad and dcs have a dozen cousins they wouldn't otherwise see grin

BlueberryHill Fri 31-May-13 12:58:56

Why don't parents just tell their children to eat their vegetables. That is was I was going to do with mine, and they would do it because they are well behaved.

I now liquidise tomato sauces with vegetables so that they do eat them.

BalloonSlayer Fri 31-May-13 13:09:23

Why parents think it's cute to let their DCs answer the phone and therefore force their friends to attempt to have a jolly conversation with a silent child for 5 minutes before finally taking pity and letting them speak to who they rang for.

Oh, sorry that's something I STILL don't understand! Never let my buggers anywhere near the phone, I have never got over the "DC wants to talk to you..." sinking feeling.

MadameOvary Fri 31-May-13 13:41:47

Why my friends kitchen floors were all so grubby. Surely a quick vacuum would get rid of all the crumbs/dustbunnies/suspect crusty-looking detritus? And surely with kids you needed to keep the place spotless so they didn't pick up germs etc.???

<bitter laugh>

Oh yes Madame. My friend's house was awful, fingerprints all over the telly and up the patio door. How disgusting I thought. blush

A clean tv screen and clean patio doors are like a blank canvas for ds1. Although I was shocked at how tall he is now from the height of his kiss/saliva/dribble marks on the bedroom mirror smile

matana Fri 31-May-13 13:52:37

Why parents couldn't wait for a night out without the DC.... and then when they eventually got a night out, spent the whole night talking about them anyway!

ellesabe Fri 31-May-13 13:54:28

YES to the phone thing!

And why did parents always make their snotty-nosed children give everyone in the room a goodnight kiss?

eggybrokenoff Fri 31-May-13 13:54:54

the true meaning or tiredness. even now when childless friends say oh im so tired i think - you're so not. not at all. and if you are, you can lie in on saturday rather than counting down the minutes til cbeebies starts

ShipwreckedAndComatose Fri 31-May-13 13:58:40
Accidentallyquirky Fri 31-May-13 14:08:25

Why parents doing the school run looked like shit ( I worked in a school at the time) now I'm heavily pregnant and have the school run for dd - I generally look like a young bag lady and tbh I couldn't care less, the fact I'm not still in pjs is, in itself a huge accomplishment lol

Frogstomp2299 Fri 31-May-13 14:32:01

The immense love u feel for this little person and how funny a toddler can actually be, but the lack of sleep really is a killer and sometimes the little beings fool you into thinking that they're finally sleeping through and it goes back to square one!!! And everything takes twice as long even if ur just popping to the corner shop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now