Weaning - when did you introduce spices??

(34 Posts)
mumtosp Sun 26-May-13 10:15:41

Hi all,

Just wondering when you started introducing herbs and spices for your LOs. DS is 7 mo and is on 3 meals a day - he takes purees and is not that interested in BLW.

I have read that I can puree whatever food we're having and give it to DS. But the food that we cook contains quite a few spices - turmeric, cumin, corriander etc (we are Indians).
Because of the way our curries are cooked, the spices need to be added at the beginning - so I can never give DS what we are having.
I usually batch cook his food separately, but it would be so much easier when he can start eating what we eat....

So just wondering when your LOs started on spices....

Thanks !! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Jun-13 09:51:07

never if you start a new thread in the weaning section, I'm sure you'll get some responses smile

MiaowTheCat Sat 01-Jun-13 10:18:45

Puree/progressively more badly blended food - introduced some spices from the start... we'd basically make a very mild jobbie by our standards and "water" it down with yoghurt or whatever in the case of curries and then its gradually gotten back up to adult strength over the last few months.

DD1's fave food on this planet is chilli at the strength I'd eat - ok so I'm a wuss with spicy food but it's still "strong" by bland baby-mush standards.

Only things she's rejected so far are fresh tomatoes and mango. Funnily her daddy hates fresh tomatoes too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Jun-13 11:16:36

Oh and Never there is a reflux support thread going in the breast & bottle section smile

mumtosp Sat 01-Jun-13 21:45:15

JJJ The GP has referred us for an allergy test as DS had a bad reaction to wheat.. just waiting for the appointment..

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Jun-13 21:57:35

Its good that you are getting the support you need then, hope wheat is the only thing smile

mumtosp Wed 05-Jun-13 20:36:09

JJJ I am hoping the test comes back negative for gluten.... or else it's going to be difficult planning a separate gluten free menu when he is older !

MsPickle Wed 05-Jun-13 21:10:12

Mumtosp-don't panic! If it is wheat/gluten you'll be surprised at how quickly you adapt, especially as it sounds like you're a good cook already!

Potol Wed 05-Jun-13 21:19:49

I am Indian and introduced spices gradually. Would make a tarka for the dal and then give him the dal without the spices so he got the flavour but not the heat. By 1 year he was pretty good and at 16 months he eats 'our' normally spiced food. Has a bit of yoghurt (a lot actually) and likes rice and yoghurt. Ask your mother and in laws for help. Both of mine were very helpful about spices.

mumtosp Thu 06-Jun-13 17:03:10

Thanks MsPickle smile

Potol that's reassuring... and being Indian you will agree that we don't really need to ask our moms and in-laws for help and advice... that's given to us by default smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now