Help?! DD (nearly 2) stopped breathing in her sleep

(12 Posts)
Somermummy1 Thu 23-May-13 14:43:55

Anyone had experience of something similar?!!

She was having a nap at nursery when apparently she stopped breathing and they had to shake her to wake her up

DH has collected her and she's apparently fine but I'm still shaking!

Can anyone help please? Am I panicking to get her checked out by GP?

elfycat Thu 23-May-13 14:49:04

Call the GP now and be seen today. You are not panicking, this needs investigating and before tonight!

Not at all. Get her seen. If gp can't see her go to a&e

Hope she's ok x

mamacoffee Thu 23-May-13 21:05:42

Definitely get it checked out. But to reassure you, I stopped breathing for about a minute when I was a baby, only happened once and im fine smile not something you'd forget though, which us why I know the story so well!

Hope all is well with dd x

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Fri 24-May-13 11:48:47

I'd have called the Gp before posting on the internet personally.

Hope she is OK.

pudcat Fri 24-May-13 13:13:43

Why did the Nursery not call 999 if she had stopped breathing? Why shake her instead of trying to resus her?

mamacoffee Fri 24-May-13 22:53:46

hope evertything's ok somermummy.

when i stopped breathing as a baby my mum went into blind panic and ran up and down the stairs holding me whilst waiting for the ambulance. she had already just a few months before lost my 1mo little sister to cot death so she was totally freaked out. the ambulance people told her that running up and down was probably what helped to kick start my breathing again. so there may be something in shaking when this happens to babies, but i don't know for sure.

Somermummy1 Sat 25-May-13 00:13:13

Thanks everyone

She's seems absolutely fine

Took her to GP yesterday who checked her over thoroughly.

Seems as though she was just in very deep sleep and didn't move when nursery nurse checked on her, put hand near mouth to check breathing, put hand on back to feel her breathing, then gently shook her.

Scared the hell out of me and nursery nurse though and am resisting urge to sit up all night watching her sleep

And for the record...

Of course I'd phoned GP before posting on the Internet!!!

I was waiting for a call back from GP and was stuck on the bus from work waiting to get to her and looking for advice from anywhere I could find it until I could be with her.

Apologies if that wasn't entirely clear from my OP I may have been a bit preoccupied .......

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sat 25-May-13 07:52:38

Glad she's ok. May actually be worth watching her breathe whilst asleep to make sure she doesn't have obstructive sleep apnoea which is surprisingly common in children, usually due to oversized tonsils or adenoids.

On the other hand it does sound like the nursery worker may have over reacted a bit to a deeply sleeping child. Hopefully that's all it was.

Jellybellyrbest Sat 25-May-13 21:33:56

Hi there...maybe get an Angelcare or similar monitor? It'll be a reassurance for you...Hopefully though it was the first & last time (if she had actually stopped breathing & it wasn't a false alarm).

Somermummy1 Sun 26-May-13 08:44:25

Thanks everyone.
Discussed sleep apnoea, adenoids etc with GP who gave her thorough check over - chest, down throat, ears etc etc
And all seems fine

Nursery sat with her during nap on friday and all fine then and
Have kept eye on her at nap time at home too

All seems fine and does seem like false alarm

Am looking into angelcare thing just in case though!

Thanks everyone so much x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now