Reusing sleeping bags for DC2/ SIDS risk

(13 Posts)
Springforward Tue 21-May-13 21:53:05

This may possibly be a stupid question but I can't find an answer.

DC2's arrival is imminent. DH went into the loft this evening and found DS' baby sleeping bags, packed away in a cardboard box and forgotten. The oldest is almost 5 years old.

Now, I know that you can't use a second-hand mattress, but is it ok to reuse sleeping bags, in SIDS risk terms?

DH thinks yes, I'm not sure. Anyone know, and if DH is right, is anyone able to explain why to me?

TIA.

ColdWindsOfSuburbia Tue 21-May-13 21:54:14

It is fine because you can hot-wash it.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-May-13 21:55:21

It never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't be OK to reused sleeping bags, and did quite happily. Have also used 2nd hand ones. DC2 went into a bed with a duvet a couple of weeks ago, and was happy in DS's old sleeping bags til then.

letsgetreadytoramble Tue 21-May-13 22:02:48

I used third hand grobags for my DS (my sister's children's) and it was fine. Used their sheets too, and their cellular blankets. It'll be fine, just wash them on a hot wash several times :0)

MiaowTheCat Wed 22-May-13 08:42:38

Good god - one of mine's on child number 5!

mummy2benji Wed 22-May-13 09:21:52

Uh I buy my grobags off ebay as so much cheaper for good quality still - a hot wash and I can't see them presenting any risk.

Be fine just wash it. Pointless buying stuff you don't have to.

Rosa Wed 22-May-13 09:30:28

One of my grobags is on child no5.....

DinoSnores Wed 22-May-13 12:00:10

This is from BUPA:

www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/c/sids?tab=Common%20questions#textBlock198800

Is it safe to use second-hand baby equipment such as mattresses and sleeping bags?

MoelFammau Wed 22-May-13 12:14:00

All of DD's sleeping bags were secondhand. Didn't even think about it.

dietcokeandwine Wed 22-May-13 14:24:24

DS3 is currently fast asleep in one of the bags bought 9 years ago for DS1. Bags have been used for all 3 of mine AND been lent to various friends in between, I reckon DS3 is about the 7th child to have used them.

As others have said, fine as long as they are washed thoroughly.

fairylightsinthespring Wed 22-May-13 18:48:30

can't imagine why it wouldn't be safe and for what its worth, our moses basket mattress did 4 babies and the cot mattress has done 2.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Thu 23-May-13 15:27:27

I emailed the Lullaby Trust with the same question (not stupid IMHO). They replied that there's no evidence of increased SIDS risk when reusing sleeping bags, and just advised that they should be given a hot wash before use. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now