Washing cloth nappies - newbie needs advice...

(10 Posts)
Xiaoxiong Tue 21-May-13 15:58:56

We've used our bumgenius and motherease nappies and washable wipes daily for 17 months and have never needed to strip wash them. Like everyone else we dry pailed with a drawstring net bag, washed at 60 with 1/4 cap persil non-bio and 1/2 scoop of soda crystals, and line dried when sunny to bleach stains if necessary.

Actually thinking about it I wonder if my use of soda crystals means I've been mini-strip-washing them all along...

I never soaked mine, like others I dry pailed. Make sure you buy a big net to line your nappy bin so you just pull out the net and shove the whole lot in the washing machine. I used flushable paper liners. If the nappy was just wet (so liner didn't need to be flushed) i'd roll the liner up with the nappy and put through the washing machine and reused as the liners usually lasted for around 3 washes. I used whatever washing powder I happened to have (usually non bio) and occasionally would put something like vanish in the wash too to whiten them up a bit (but not that often).

Tea tree oil - if I remembered I would put a few drops in the nappy bin as it helped to neutralise any smell.

I also used washable wipes - either wet or with a squirt of baby lotion

Thanks! I want to buy the Rockin Green Funk Rock ammonia bounce powder just cos it sounds awesome wink

MatriarchalDreams Sun 19-May-13 22:37:34

I'd say strip wash whenever they're starting to smell of ammonia rather with any particular regularity, don't use vinegar as it can damage the PUL and may mean you can't return them if you have any problems, I've used the loads of rinses method and the dishwasher tablet method, both have which have worked quite well. I'm planning on trying out the Rockin Green Funk Rock ammonia bounce powder, that's supposed to brilliant at stripping nappies.

Thank you all so much smile
Dry pail, normal non-bio (half volume) and line dry. Got it.
Thanks again!!

Last Q. Strip wash: how often and vinegar or something else?

YBR Sun 19-May-13 19:33:15

We have BumGenius and we dry-pail them, wash with our usual non-bio liquid (but use less of it) and line-dry if possible. You'll need a bucket with a proper lid but there's no need for any special laundry powder/liquid or additives.

mumtosp Sun 19-May-13 15:47:57

I washed mine a few times before use, but didn't use any washing powder... Plain water does the trick. Also, AuntPepita's idea pf soaking them in the bath sounds good...and also easier...

Non-bio works fine. I never soak before a wash... Just dry pail in a bucket with lid. No idea about napisan, so can't help you with that...

Check out the NappyLady website for general advice.... U can also call her if you have any questions.... I've always found her helpful smile

I used liners and dry pailed mine, using one if those small plastic dustbins with a lid that look like real dustbins. Used non bio at 60 to kill germs, no conditioner and they were fine. Top tip, line dry them, sunlight does a brilliant job at bleaching out stubborn poo stains.

AuntPepita Sun 19-May-13 14:51:24

I soaked mine in the bath for 24 hrs when new rather than keep washing them, seemed to do the trick.

Yy to no softener. Only half the powder you would usually use, more than that and you get stinky nappies, counter intuitive I know.

No need for bio IMO, and I never pre soaked, just dry pailed.

Got an awesome bargain on bumgenius elemental yesterday at the baby show and am now wondering about washing. I know I need to wash 3-5 times before use to maximise absorbency and no fabric conditioner but what washing liquid/powder should I use? Also, what about once I'm using them with the LO? Non bio won't do the job once they are wee/poo filled I presume?

Someone mentioned tea tree to me - should I pre soak dirty nappies in water with tea tree then wash in non bio? I've also been told napisan is evil?

Help!! I thought the minefield was which nappies to buy but I've just discovered a whole world of minefields :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now