Running around eating in the playground

(11 Posts)
craziedaisy Mon 13-May-13 16:13:46

We have always had a rule in our house that we sit down while we are eating to minimise the risk of choking. Now my son has started at school I am suprised that they offer fruit for the children to eat in the playground. Is this the general for most primary schools? My sons says that you can run around eating your fruit. Should I complain or am I being OTT? I seem to remember a child in the news choking to death on a grape in the playground a few years ago.

hedgefund Mon 13-May-13 16:14:24

are you being serious?

HumphreyCobbler Mon 13-May-13 16:14:46

I don't give grapes to my child for this reason. Everything else I am fine with.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 13-May-13 16:15:17

I wouldn't complain. You can tell your child to stand still while they eat their snack.

Really? Way OTT hmm

CitrusyOne Mon 13-May-13 16:22:02

HumphreyCobbler Mon 13-May-13 16:23:13

A child DID choke on a grape last year. I hate grapes, I have a thing about them. I feel I am right to have a thing about them though.

Jinty64 Mon 13-May-13 19:52:52

We have to send a play piece with dc's. I send them with things they are less likely to choke on for that very reason.

Whilst I don't think you should "complain" I don't think you would be unreasonable to bring it to their attention and ask if they could eat their fruit before going out.

A 5 year old died choking on a grape at an after school club last year.

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 13-May-13 20:01:47

I though I was being a but "pfb" cutting up DS1s break time grapes. No, don't complain. You could, by all means, ask that they encourage your child to eat before running around. Anything else would be a significant overreaction and waste of time since anyway
At least they're exercising and eating fruit grin

craziedaisy Mon 13-May-13 20:17:37

Thank you for your replies. I realised after I posted that complain was the wrong choice of words. I just felt that I should ask as you suggested Jinty to eat before they go out to play. I tried looking on the web on choking and an American Website suggests that 1 child dies every 5 days due to choking on food in the USA. It suggests all children should be seated to eat and never walk, run etc when eating....

Jinty64 Mon 13-May-13 21:50:32

DoingTheSwanThing I was too scared to mention that I cut up ds3's (6) grapes and cherry tomatoes. My childminder used to laugh at me doing it when he was 2. Goodness knows what she would think now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now