Crazy measles worry

(9 Posts)
Moomoomee Fri 26-Apr-13 06:26:21

Anyway I'm going to sound like an absolute crazy person but....

Me and DS were at a baby group yesterday and there was a little boy who was quite poorly. I remember the childminder saying that he has ulcers in his mouth.

Fast forward to last night and I suddenly thought what if it was measles. Only because of the spots in the mouth. My DS hasn't had his jabs yet as he is too young.

Should I ring GP and see what he thinks? What would you do?

Thanks

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 26-Apr-13 06:38:50

I would ring your GP for advice, try to stay calm on the phone, but a phone call is ok IMO, it's not like you're rushing to a&e! The GP may know whether there have been outbreaks local to you.

You don't sound crazy, it is natural to care about your kids.

AuntieStella Fri 26-Apr-13 06:47:50

Ulcers in the mouth are not a measles symptom. Koplik's spots are not ulcers.

Here is the NOIDS report which will tell you of there are any cases local to you. Your GP won't know more than this, especially if you are in England.

If you are going to worry yourself this much when encounter someone with something that isn't a measles symptom, then I think you'll have a hard time when your baby meets someone with what could be an early symptom (eg runny nose). Would you consider staying at home until he is jabbed?

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 26-Apr-13 06:50:30

Yes, but I assumed the op was worried the ulcers were actually koplik spots, not that ulcers were a measles symptom.

kelda Fri 26-Apr-13 06:51:04

Multiple ulcers in the mouth are often a symptom of hand, foot and mouth. This is a common childhood illness, but can cause painful ulcers and a high temperature.

awkwardsis Fri 26-Apr-13 06:57:56

I agree, far more likely to be hand foot and mouth. How irresponsible of the childminder though.

Moomoomee Fri 26-Apr-13 06:58:23

Yeah indeed I was worried the ulcers were actually Koplik spots. I had a check of the data and there is only one case in my area which is good. I normally don't worry so much but what with the measles scare and it being quite a serious illness for someone so young, my mind went into overdrive.

Moomoomee Fri 26-Apr-13 09:48:03

Update

Rang GPs and spoke to doctor who said that spots in mouth could be many things so I shouldn't worry overly so and to bring DS in if there are signs of any illness with him being so young. So pretty much my instincts but nice to hear it from GP. I did start the conversation off with "I know I sound like a crazy mum but....".

Thanks for all your advice. Woke up this morning and thought 'I'll ask Mumsnet!'

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 26-Apr-13 18:04:03

Glad you spoke to the GP. It is ok to call them, our doctor is always fine with a quick call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now