Is it normal for newborn to be awake for 4 hour chunks at a time?

(4 Posts)
EssexWelsh Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:36

My DS is nearly 3 weeks old and has already got himself into a routine of feeding every 3 hours at night and pretty much sleeps 9pm til 8am each night only stirring to eat but during the day he is awake for 4 hours solid, sleeps for 4 hours then awake for 4 hours, this is fine as he's not crying only slightly whingey towards the end of the 4 hours, it's just that every book and website says newborns wont stay awake for more than 45mins at a time and also encourages 3 hour cycles of eat sleep play if you want to get them to sleep through the night later on, does this matter? Should I be manipulating his routine? How do you do that? I find it impossible to wake him when he's out cold or to get him to sleep during a 4 hour awake window, he just does it when he's ready!

exoticfruits Fri 26-Apr-13 07:21:25

They are all different- they haven't read the same books!
He has his own routine which sounds fine- especially the solid night's sleep.

MiaowTheCat Fri 26-Apr-13 08:20:21

I've got a good 2-3 hour window at the middle of the day when DD2 (5 weeks) won't sleep - she just wants to sit and look around at the world. It's followed by a feed and then a huge long zonk out time from about 2pm to almost 6pm.

Unfortunately this window directly coincides with DD1's lovely long nap time - grrrr!

EssexWelsh Fri 26-Apr-13 21:23:01

In fairness he's got himself into a routine from only about a week old just a very odd one for a newborn! But not complaining as sleeps well at night, just stirring for feeds but being awake for 4, even 5 hours at a time seems crazy but he seems happy enough, so we're going with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now