Please someone come and talk sense to me, I know I am doing it wrong

(5 Posts)
IDoTakeTwo Thu 25-Apr-13 20:46:46

I think they just see it as a label , 'I'm middling, so will perform at that level'

Not much sense of striving. But I suppose I have tried not to pressure but encourage them

MaryRobinson Thu 25-Apr-13 20:36:40

Maybe deal with the shock head on. For almost all things the effort put in does profoundly impact the result. Are they happy being mid-set? Or could a competitiveness against someone that has moved up tables be used to get them to reassess what they're doing and what they want to achieve

IDoTakeTwo Thu 25-Apr-13 20:27:27

Probably a bit of both. Elder does try mostly, but younger does not seem to equate effort with results.
I always tried to boost the attitude that learning is fun. Now they seem shocked if abit of graft is needed

MaryRobinson Thu 25-Apr-13 20:15:01

Do think it is motivation or execution for want of a better word

IDoTakeTwo Thu 25-Apr-13 20:09:56

I have 3 dc
They all start out top groups for everything in primary. One has stayed there doing very nicely, aced 11 plus etc.

The other two seem to gradually, inevitably become more middle of the road and even below average,

They are fairly bright, not genius or anything, but I keep feeling they are under performing. I feel I am getting it all wrong. I feel I have chosen the wrong school.

I suppose because it took so long and a lot of persistence to get one child's dyslexia diagnosed I'm scared I'm missing something. I'm also worried the other dd has some spld.

Argh, I also know I am not very good at accepting my children might be a bit dim.

Someone please tell me something sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now