13 week old with strange (?) changes in his sleep

(9 Posts)
Ethlinn Thu 25-Apr-13 13:32:08

My DS has been sleeping through the night since he was 10 weeks old. I know all about sleep cycles and how they sometimes wake up in between the cycles etc but for the last few nights he's been doing something really strange. He would wake up, wide awake with eyes wide open, and stay like that for about 20-30 minutes, then back to sleep. He used to wake up for a feed at 1am and 4am and even when he stopped doing that, he would normally wriggle a bit at these times. But I am not sure if it's entirely normal that he wakes up and stays awake for that long now? He didn't cry, didn't seem to need my attention at all, went back to sleep by himself. Should I maybe get up next time it happens and help him get back to sleep? Anyone else had their DC waking up like that? It all maybe sounds a bit silly but I'm a first time mum and anything slightly odd worries me.

amazingmumof6 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:58:21

if he settles back I'd leave him to it - I wonder if it is a baby version of sleep walking? if it is you'd better off leaving him, if you touch him he might freak out!
I guess it is unusual, but if he's quiet and don't know if you should worry at all.

If mine did this I probably wouldn't know because I'd be asleep...

have you thought of keeping a diary about these things? should this waking up turn into a problem you'd have a documented history of what he's been doing, easier to look back on it than just to rely on your memory.

I don't think you should worry about it for now!smile

EarnestDullard Thu 25-Apr-13 14:02:07

If he's happy and is going back to sleep by himself I'd leave him. Helping him to get back to sleep might interfere with his ability to settle himself.

(Very envy of 10wo sleeping through btw wink)

Ethlinn Thu 25-Apr-13 14:24:09

Thanks for advice, I'll just leave him alone then! Amazingmumof6, I wake up literally every time he moves or takes a deeper breath, I am absolutely paranoid, he's been such a difficult baby (reflux etc)
EarnestDullard, he sleeps through the night but only catnaps during the day and feeds every 2.5 hours!!!! So this leaves me NO time to myself. Hope this makes you feel a bit better ;-)

amazingmumof6 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:28:34

I bet that waking at every little sound will change when he is older and sleep deprivation has caught up with you!grin

Ethlinn Thu 25-Apr-13 14:32:30

My OH says the same thing: wee man knows how to sleep through the night, now I should let myself do it too! And he's probably right...

amazingmumof6 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:11:27

oh first time mums, so sweet!smile

my SIL called the hospital in a panic because her newborn's head kept on "bobbling" about. she was hysterical, thinking the worst - until being told that she has to support the baby's head coz the neck is too weak yet and that is NORMAL!
she had never seen a newborn up close before and did not have a clue! grin

today this "bobble head", my oldest nephew, is 18 and is travelling in through Asia on a 3 months "gapyear". He is a gorgeous young man, very smart, loving and kind with 4 younger siblings, all a credit to their parents.

SIL got the hang of being a fab mum and and so will you!

amazingmumof6 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:12:02

I meant to say fab and confident mum

Ethlinn Thu 25-Apr-13 21:40:02

OMG that just absolutely made my night, I had a good laugh, thank you :-)
I have been around quite a few babies in my life but mine has been really difficult, irritable and in general not well. That's my excuse for being so paranoid. First 9 weeks of his life he was never awake and content, just constant screaming. He was dehydrated, then reflux.. And now I worry that I will miss something...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now