2 year old swallowed a penny???

(10 Posts)
valiumredhead Sat 27-Apr-13 16:50:28

IIRC it's important to have an xray as it can lodge half way down and either get stuck or when they cough come back up and choke the child.

If the doctor says go and have an X-ray, go and have an X-ray!

differentkindofpenguin Thu 25-Apr-13 20:12:06

Hahaha, spend a penny indeed!!! He's still in nappies, can't wait! (Not)

Hopefully he will spend his penny soon.

Just listen out for that "Kerching" in the pan.

robyn2 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:39:18

swallowed a penny myself when i was little, apparently it came out the other end and the other posts seem to suggest you shouldnt worry

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 25-Apr-13 13:58:13

My DD swallowed a hair grip and we were told anything smaller than a 2p will pass through we should just keep an eye out for it.

differentkindofpenguin Thu 25-Apr-13 11:07:53

I think if it was stuck in his airways he wouldnt have been so happy! thats what i thought, it will come out soon enough, don't want to waste A&E time takinh a perfectly happy toddler!

thanks for responding smile

My Db6 swallowed a pound coin n was rushed to hospital because it was stuck in his windpipe & around an hour later he vomited & brought it up .
Anywho my point is , it will come out just depends which route it will take grin

Bluebell99 Thu 25-Apr-13 10:43:29

My dd swallowed a charm out of Christmas cracker when she was nine years old! We went to the walk in centre and after a long wait they checked her chest to be sure she hadn't inhaled it into her lungs - I think that is the main danger. I read recently about a grown woman who inhaled a needle she put in her mouth into her lungs and she had to have an operation. My dd's charm passed out a week later, I was suprised it took so long grin

He will shit it out soon enough. This happens to my 2 year old brother often.

differentkindofpenguin Thu 25-Apr-13 10:38:41

hi all, would like some advice please! My 2.4 year old little boy MAY have swallowed a penny!

he came out of a room looking sheepish and like he just swallwed something (can't explain, but he did look like he did), and he has a thing for putting coins in his mouth- not sure how he got hold of it, we always make sure there aren't any around because he does that!

anyway, he looks totally well, I phoned my GP and they said last time this happened they were sent up to the hospital for an xray. Seems unnecessary to me, given that he is well ( I will of course watch him closely and get him to the hospital if he shows any signs of not being well), especially since we are not 100% sure he did swallow it!

Has this happened to anyone? what would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now