Can't get DD to eat rice or pasta

(12 Posts)
mummysbigsmiles Wed 24-Apr-13 18:11:06

*currently in tears*

This is the third time i have tried to get my 7mnth old DD to eat pasta or rices dishes and she is just spitting it all out and screwing up her face. I have made it with her fave veg puree so i know its not the sauce. I have tried teeny bits at a time... She just stores it all in her mouth and at one point choked!! What can i do as these are important parts of her diet IMO

Stressed mumma!

She's only 7 months old! Don't worry, wait a few weeks, then try again. She should be getting the main bulk of her nutrition from milk, so they're not important parts of her diet.

MissSusan Wed 24-Apr-13 18:41:41

Relax, she is tiny. Just keep on giving her food she does like and try again with rice and pasta later.

alienbanana Wed 24-Apr-13 18:42:10

Ah don't worry, she's so young!

Leave it a couple of weeks and just put a few cooked pasta shapes on the high chair tray and let her play with them.

Really don't stress about it. Offer the food, take away what she doesn't eat.

AnyaKnowIt Wed 24-Apr-13 18:44:44

DD hated rice and pasta at that age, I think its the texture.

Please don't stress east said then done

Her main source will still be milk so doesn't 'need' food as such.

fairylightsinthespring Wed 24-Apr-13 18:44:50

first, relax. they are not important parts of her diet, they are stodge that can be substituted with potato. DS never ate pasta until he was 3 and still doesn't eat rice. Try not to worry about every meal or even every day having a balance - look at what she is getting over a week instead. Is she easting cereal and bread? If so, she's getting carb. Unless you are using wholegrain, its refined starch so really don't worry, and please god don't cry over it - what will you do when she's 12-18months and stops eating all the lovely fruit and veg she's been eating up til then? Honestly, I know it seems like a huge deal but it really isn't, babies rarely suffer from malnourishment smile. Like Bf/FF , this is something that people angst about at the weaning stage and by the time you are potty training you will be laughing at how worried you were about this and tearing your hair out about bottom wiping and hand washing!!

piratecat Wed 24-Apr-13 18:46:20

my dd wasn't keen on any textures.

pasta at 5 yrs

rice at 10 yrs!

mummysbigsmiles Wed 24-Apr-13 18:47:26

Thanks everyone! That has made me feel alot better! I can stop stressing now! I think i just pressure myself and her to eat the best nutritious food available! I let her taste a little bit of my cooked chicken there and she liked it. I think its the pasta & rice texture that has her beautiful little face as screwed up as ever! smile

daftdame Wed 24-Apr-13 18:49:41

Do not worry! Rice or pasta is not an absolute necessity anyone's diet. If she likes vegetables, starchy ones are a good source of carbohydrate.

I remember when I was weaning my DC (who coincidently was slow to like food but now eats like a horse) one book stated potato, rice and stewed pear were all good first foods.

I expect she could also have bread / other flour products - all contain carbohydrate. What I would say is try not to make it a battle - no one eats very well in stressful situations.

mummysbigsmiles Wed 24-Apr-13 18:50:12

She is currently necking down a bottle! Happy days!

Notsoyummymummy1 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:06:22

Other posters are right - food is just for fun until they are one - they get their nutrition from their milk at this age. My dd is 14 months and loves pasta but at 9 months she hated it!!! I just waited a few weeks then tried again and she had a go with pretty much anything eventually - I started off with tinned spaghetti hoops then moved on to little macaroni pasta shapes in a cheese sauce - she found the pasta too bland on its own. I found it got easier after the one year mark as she started wanting to eat whatever we were eating!!! Plenty of time yet - new textures are very strange for them at first but she will get more interested in these foods as she gets bigger x

QTPie Wed 24-Apr-13 20:36:15

DS couldn't tolerate proper solid food (ie non-purees) until 11 months old: he would choke and turn purple on all finger food.

He was ok on pasta (cut up very small) from maybe 12 months.

He didn't like rice AT ALL until probably 2.5 years - much to the disdain of the Chinese in-laws wink. He now loves rice (3.25).

They are all different and develop at different rates and 7 months is incredibly young.

QT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now