ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

There's no pooh!!!

(6 Posts)
mummy2benji Tue 23-Apr-13 10:14:00

You could try Aptamil Comfort if he's already on Aptamil, but don't chop and change with formulas or that can make it worse. Either try it and stay on it or stay with the normal Aptamil unless your GP suggests otherwise (I'm a GP). I would give small amounts of cooled boiled water to help with the constipation. I have had to do that with dd2 on occasion. At 7 weeks old she had about 1oz or 1 1/2oz of water spread over 2-3 'feeds' every day and that was enough to sort the problem, and then she would have maybe 1/2oz daily until she no longer required it and her bowels were soft and opening daily. I gave it to her between her milk feeds. Your dc doesn't have to be going every single day, but if it is hard and she is straining at it and getting upset, then you should give water. If that isn't enough, talk to your GP again.

Hermionewastherealhero Tue 23-Apr-13 09:12:50

We found aptimal comfort sorted the problem for our son

CornMonster Tue 23-Apr-13 09:05:50

We were told to give a little bit of cooled boiled water (by our GP) after a feed. Also massaged her belly in a clockwise motion and moved her legs around in a bicycle motion. It worked and she is no longer constipated. We've also changed formula, but gone from aptimal to sma gold, so we will see if it makes a difference. Still early days.

KatAndKit Tue 23-Apr-13 09:02:51

You could try comfort milk - that is supposed to help with constipation.

Only pooing every 3 days sounds completely normal to me in a baby that young - I was told not to even think about worrying until you get to a week. And even then you only need to worry about the explosion that awaits you grin

newmum2Jack Mon 22-Apr-13 23:38:15

Hi, can anyone help. I'm a new mum to 7 week old who is constipated. We started on sma then moved to Aptimal, but he only has a pooh every 3 days and its very little and hard'ish. We gave him lactulose following the doctors advice, and then he is able to go for a day or 2, then constipated again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My little one is sufferinghmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now