Riding without stabilisers

(8 Posts)
Margetts Mon 22-Apr-13 09:16:18

Lower the seat of the bike so your child can touch the ground and allow them to scoot along. When they feel confident they will lift there feet off and start to peddle.

wigglesrock Sun 21-Apr-13 07:03:12

I have pretty much the same story as sowornout My almost 8 year old dd just couldn't "get it", so I didn't bother. A few months ago, she asked herself to give it another go without stabilisers and 10 mins later she was whizzing about. The same thing happened with swimming I am a very lazy parent

Tommychoochoo Sat 20-Apr-13 21:17:57

X post. I was thinking of just taking them off, bit worried he might going flying off. Seem to remember my mum just taking mine off and promising she was holding on the back of the bike, she then let go and I could ridesmile

deleted203 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:17:45

It will one day just come, I think. I'd been vaguely thinking the same about DS3 who is almost 8 and has constantly wimped out of riding a bike without stabilisers. (I had visions of him aged 15 still wanting his stabilisers on).

He reluctantly allowed DH to take them off at 7 and promptly wobbled about and fell over and then wept that 'Dad pushed me in the nettles'... He then refused to get back on the bike again and had 2 holidays at Centre Parcs where he insisted on walking.

We just left it. Suddenly over the Easter holidays he's had a go on his bike, cracked it without any worries and is now (8 next month) peddling confidently up and down the garden on his bike.

Tommychoochoo Sat 20-Apr-13 21:12:44

No, but ds3 is 3 has a balance bike but doesn't seem to go very fast on it. I wasn't sure if they actually work, is it worth getting one for ds1?

MrsPnut Sat 20-Apr-13 21:12:21

Take them off and get him to learn to scoot along without peddling. The balance bit is the most important thing to learn which is why balance bikes are so popular. Also make sure he can reach the floor really easily, you might need to lower the seat to get the right position.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 20-Apr-13 21:04:54

Has he tried a balance bike?

Tommychoochoo Sat 20-Apr-13 20:44:14

ds1 is 6 and still has stabilisers on his bike. We have tried taking them off but he doesn't seem to be peddling fast enough and falls straight over. We live on a cul-de-sac and lots of children ride there bikes out but he's too embarrassed as some of the children are 4 and don't have stabilisers on their bikes. I've been taking him to the park to practice but its hard with ds2 and ds3 in tow. He can't seem to get the hang of it, wondered if anyone had any to ideas on getting him off stabilisers.

Feel silly asking this but feel like i'm learning so much with ds1, then when it comes to ds2 is seems so much easier and I think why didn't I do this before nowgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now