Any tips for fashion disaster 3 y.o?

(7 Posts)
orangeandlemons Sun 21-Apr-13 10:10:00

I think tights and dresses are normal for a 4 year old. She will grow out of it though

SingleMama Sat 20-Apr-13 20:17:37

Hey. Yeah she is always happy to wear tights and dresses! Her leggings are really comfy and she was wearing them no bother but has now decided against all bottoms. (I think if I got her a pair of nice trainers maybe they'd look better with them as she only has a pair of Mary Jane's at the moment, which she calls her 'beautiful shoes' and won't wear any of her others. Coats are the same. She has 3 but will now only wear her ladybird raincoat, which is fine now as its warm but a week ago was a bit cold. She is very single-minded!

nextphase Sat 20-Apr-13 19:52:52

Another one here who give 2 choices, both of which are acceptable to me. If he's on short sleeves only phase, I might ask vest or jumper, or long sleeves / short sleeves, or grey or blue.

If the trousers aren't comfortable, would tights be acceptable? Or boys trousers, which seem to be wider in the leg?

orangeandlemons Sat 20-Apr-13 19:51:38

My dd was exactly the same. It was a bloody nightmare. She wouldn't wear, sleeves of any sort, trousers, tights, jumpers, cardigans or anything with buttons on ever. Every morning was meltdown. Starting school and having to wear uniform helped.

Now at 7 she only wants to wear trousers, but is still awkward about cardis and buttons. She hates feeling constricted in anyway. Won't wear scarves hats etc

Yes a choice of two things. Don't make a big deal about it. She's 3!
I just get ds dressed. Sometimes he expresses a preference which is fine - I will go with it unless it's inappropriate eg shorts on a snowy day. But generally we don't get into a battle - if he insists on something then fine.

Are her leggings and trousers comfortable? I have to buy bigger sizes for my dd especially as the waist bands are too tight so can't be comfy.

OnceUponAThyme Sat 20-Apr-13 19:22:25

I give my 4 year old a choice of two things to wear or I'd be there all day as she decided what to wear. so, for example, a red dress or a green dress.
so she gets a say in it, but it's something that we're both happy with and weather appropriate.
she dresses herself but has a time limit of ten minutes to get everything on because she's a daydreamer. I use a sticker chart for her getting dressed on time and seven stars equals a small reward such as a sweet or something.

SingleMama Sat 20-Apr-13 18:07:34

Right well my little girl has very recently turned into a fashion disaster zone!
She refuses to wear jumpers, trousers and any sort of bottoms or leggings at the moment. She insists on wearing dresses or skirts. Then, this morning I suggested 4 different long sleeved dresses and she said no- she didn't want to wear any of them and she would just wear nothing!
Lol!
Trying to get out the door in the mornings is terrible and then it's the same deal with pyjamas at bedtime- insisting on putting shorts over night-time pull ups and then pyjama bottoms on top.
Do I just have to grin & bear it? Or just teach her to put things on over her head and let her dress herself? (I have her clothes on a high shelf at the moment. I dread to think what would happen if I gave her free reign!!) ;-)

Appreciate your feedback. This website is invaluable to me for this kind of thing as I don't really have anyone to talk about these things with! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now