How many after school activities is too many?

(13 Posts)
sarahtigh Sat 20-Apr-13 12:47:34

I think at least 2 school nights and 1 day at weekend should be free, and at least 1 day a week when nobody in family has activities so there is at least one night for just family

often if they have to go with you while you take another sibling to activity it can be tiring too

hillbilly Fri 19-Apr-13 22:56:06

DD (7) and DS (5) do swimming, Farsi, art club and gymnastics after school, and kick boxing and Farsi on Saturdays. DD also does art club. It's a lot but they are enthusiastic and not over tired.

cathers Fri 19-Apr-13 14:36:54

Depends entirely on the child. One of my ds does something 5 out if 7 days, the other ds only 2! As long as they are happy, not too tired and I can afford the time and money, I don't see the problem.

superfluouscurves Fri 19-Apr-13 14:22:30

I dunno. It does depend on the child I think. DD (9 yrs) does three things a week (ballet x2 and tennis x 1) + has a fairly pressured time at school (we're in mainland Europe where the system is v. rigid) and it's fine when it's an "ordinary" week. But if she has tests, we have visitors, she's tired, it's the end of term and there are lots of school plays events/going on - then it sometimes gets a bit much.

I think we'll be sticking to x 2 a week from Sept.

Respect to those of you like Tumble coping with the logistics of 4 lots of dc activities to organise!!

spottyparrot Fri 19-Apr-13 13:50:34

As long as child enjoys it, has enough time and energy then fine. My 5yo has 2 x after school stuff and also Saturday morning.

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 13:47:14

That's very odd - no idea why it's reposted that hmm
I do apologise - as you were.

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 13:21:20

* my dds.... his sisters grin

LittleBairn Fri 19-Apr-13 12:57:10

It's very individual some kids can manage activities every day some none. The most important thing is that the child is happy to go to the activities and not too tired for school and has plenty of time to free play each day.

humblebumble Fri 19-Apr-13 12:54:11

I don't think it is necessarily bad as such. However this works for us as a balance.

I usually organise 2 paid activities a week for each of my children 5 and 3. However, now the weather is starting to warm up my oldest is only doing one activity (his choice) as he said he'd prefer to have play dates or just spend time with me and his younger DS. I had offered him football and he said he didn't want to do it (he loves playing, so I was surprised).

I like the structure of having the two activities usually, but equally it is nice to spend this extra time with him. I am a SAHM.

tumbletumble Fri 19-Apr-13 12:53:31

I think after school activities are great and my DC do several. Who says they are bad?

DS1 age 7 - football, beavers and tennis after school, football and swimming on Sat

DD age 5 - gym and tennis after school, swimming on Sat

DS2 is 3, so he does music and swimming during school time

We have 2 days a week with no after school activities so they can play with friends or chill out at home.

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 12:47:33

* my dds.... his sisters grin

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 12:46:26

I think it depends on both the individual child, and on the dynamics of the rest of the family.
When my ds was 5/6, I would have had to traipse his 2 younger dds round to everything he wanted to do, and then, as they got older, there's be no 'spaces' to fit their things in, without him dropping some, etc. etc., so, for me --even putting aside the fact I was working 3 days of the week) it would be far too many.
However, if he's an only, and you don't work, and he's enjoying it, and you can afford it, then I don't see the problem.

SebbysMum Fri 19-Apr-13 12:36:23

Is it really so bad to be doing an after school activity most days of the week when you are 5/6? How do others decide value of unstructured time versus benefits of sport and learning new skills?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now