Newborns, Bfing, Toddlers and Tantrums

(259 Posts)
SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 01-Apr-13 11:36:40

A carry on from the Pregnant and Overdue - 37/38 weeks thread in Pregnancy.

For those of us who have finally met our bundles of joy!

Come here to share birth stories, newborn issues, feeding, tips on how to deal with toddler siblings, or just general gripes and chit chat.

DS was born on Saturday and just sleeps and eats. I have a 2.5 yo DD who is being a bit of a monkey (understandably) with the new addition.

DS looks like he has a posterior tongue tie which is making latching incredibly painful. Have sent DH out for nipple shields - anyone used these?

yogafan Tue 21-May-13 07:42:07

Hi birdofthenorth - hope things are going ok and you're managing to survive each day. I don't really belong on this thread (I am preg and expecting the same gap between DC2 and my DD as you have between yours) - I've just been reading this thread to prepare (and totally freak myself out! Just wanted to offer done support and let you know what a friend if mine does at bedtime, in case it helps you. She bathes them together, puts baby in a bouncy chair while reading to and settling the oldest one (baby sometimes cries, think they ignore but speed up bedtime - oldest is generally pleased to have the noisy babe our the room at this point) then mum pours herself a glass of wine, gets into bed with baby and feeds /settles for the night. Good luck with it all, it sounds incredibly tough. But the main message I have picked up is to have low expectations and just survive (as you already know) and that it gets easier / which you also already know but hopefully you'll start seeing soon. All the best x

birdofthenorth Fri 10-May-13 15:13:19

Hello all, can I join in?

I have DD aged 2.8 and new DS who
is four weeks (born 11th April). DH works away 2-4 nights a week -this week was his first back after 3 weeks paternity leave & chaos has well and truly descended!

DD is being pretty good with DS except during her bedtime routine and first thing in the morning when she is a needy monster... she has also regressed to having disturbed nights, usually just as I've got DS off -argh! She is also still in the midst of potty training so I am having to leap up during breastfeeds to get her to the nearest loo!

DS is not a bad baby but has a bit of reflux (megavoms after most feeds) which is starting to cause him more discomfort and make him grouchier and sometimes un-put-downable).

Oh, and I have two large dogs to manage too. And as I'm self-employed work is still rearing it's ugly head when I least need it!

My ambition for each day is no more than survival at the moment so I very much need a thread where I can rant and sob!!!

RubyrooUK Sat 27-Apr-13 14:56:50

Hi Pontouf! Welcome and congratulations on your baby!

Today DS1 is ill. He has a fever and is watching back-to-back DVDs and has only just eaten for the first time...a biscuit. Argh. He is highly pathetic and prone to weeping because he can't find the owl in a particular DVD that doesn't feature an owl.

DS2 is still on antibiotics for his rash which aren't doing anything apart from making him vomit up feeds. I am going to give up and phone the doctor on Monday. He also has a cold and is constantly snotty.

I am considering barricading myself into a health spa and leaving them all to become an international pop star with a massage therapist on call, no cellulite and my team of nannies dealing with these smelly, messy, ill children.

Dirtymistress Fri 26-Apr-13 08:11:36

My age gap is a crazy 17 monthsgrin I do not recommend!

Pontouf Fri 26-Apr-13 06:53:53

Hi Dirty, DS is 2.6. He has slept through pretty much since he was 4 months old so am fairly certain this is an attention/jealousy issue. He has taken to his new baby sister really well generally, keeps stroking and kissing her etc, but there are moments (usually when she's screaming) that he is clearly a bit pissed off at her presence! What's your age gap?

With regards to it being a second birth, it was an attempted (hollow laugh) VBAC, DS was born by elective c-section due to being breech, so first attempt at a vaginal birth. It's funny, it wasn't till I wrote it all down that I realised just how shit it had been!

Poor you with your bad cough. I can't imagine anything worse than having everyone else finally asleep all at the same time and still not being able to get some shut-eye! Those first few seconds as you drift off after a 3am feed are utter utter bliss!

Dirtymistress Fri 26-Apr-13 06:34:59

What's your age gap pontouf? I have no family nearby either. It is tough. Yes, yes to be super organised.grin

Dirtymistress Fri 26-Apr-13 06:33:01

Oh pontouf you poor thing, that sounds absolutely hideous and not what you would expect from a second birth. I really feel for you, it's hard enough as it is trying to juggle newborn and toddler without physically feeling rubbish. I hope things get better quickly.
I am on antibiotics now for my horrible cough. I have had it for nearly six weekshmm it stops me sleeping even when dirtybaby and dirtytoddler are snoring. Hopefully the pills will clear it up.

Pontouf Thu 25-Apr-13 20:08:56

Hello all, I finally made it over here - was a bit of a latecomer to the Pregnancy thread and then went 11 days over with DD.

Birth was pretty hideous. Went from 0 - contractions 2 minutes apart within two hours. By the time I'd called the hospital and had a quick shower they were at 1 minute 30 and lasting 30 seconds. Arrived at hospital to discover I was 1cm! Oh God, the disappointment! Anyway they broke my waters and over the next 14 hours I managed to get to 8cm at which point I asked for an epidural because I was exhausted and in agony. Then I stopped progressing. Consultant said the baby was a bit stuck and said she was recommending a c-section, but not an urgent urgent one. Then she left the room and DH left to go and get chnged and suddenly everything went to shit. DD's heart rate was dropping to 60ish and then just not recovering so I was rushed to theatre very quickly.

The epidural was only working down one side at that point so they topped it up and hoped for the best. It wasn't great and I ended up having G&A in theatre during the op because I could feel a lot of what was going on. I then went into shock a little bit and got uncontrollable shakes on the table. Anyway in the end DD was born on the 17/4/13 weighing 7lb 12oz and is utterly perfect. I can't believe how much I love her!

The aftermath has also been a bit crap. I have had major problems BFing due to totally flat nipples blush so found it nigh on impossible to get a good latch and DD has shredded my nips to ribbons. I persevered for 5 days, despite having bitten a hole in the inside of my top lip trying not to scream every time she latched on. On day 5 I tried nipple shields which did not help really - they wouldn't really stay on. Then I ended up expressing milk instead and cup feeding. This helped for a bit but have ended up mixed feeding so she's having EBM for about half her feeds and formula for half which is working for us at the moment.

I was very very upset about not being able to BF, especially as I had managed with DS but as I have also had a wound infection causing flu like symptoms and horrendous abdo pain, and have a toddler who has decided that he doesn't want to sleep through the night either, it was just one battle too many!

DD is 8 days old today and things are gradually getting easier. Am dreading DH going back to work though as I have no family support around at all. Will just have to be super organised I think confused. Lovely to read everyone else's experiences, congrats to all on their growing little bundles smile

Whereisthesnow Thu 25-Apr-13 03:03:21

Oh dear ruby and twinkles hope you and your wee ones feel better soon.

My antibiotics are kicking in at last. Not before getting horrid ear pain. How can an infected boob lead to a sore ear?! Plus it's made night sweats return with a vengeance - woke up earlier and it was so bad I thought I'd wet myself!

RubyrooUK Wed 24-Apr-13 21:45:54

Oh bummer Twinkles. Your poor DS.

Hopefully your baby won't get it. DS2 was exposed to chicken pox three weeks ago when he was enthusiastically kissed by a snotty toddler who came out in CP the next day. He seems fine apart from,
er, his rash....but that doesn't resemble CP at all. So I think he has escaped it this time and will get a bit older before it hits him.

So fingers crossed your DD will be ok. Glad to hear she is gaining weight well.....you needed some good news!!! smile

twinklesparkles Wed 24-Apr-13 18:41:23

Hope you and your dc's are well rubyroo

I've also just come back from the drs with ds.. He's on penicillin. He either has chicken pox or he has an infected year and then rubbed his stomach and the rash has spread.
Nice.

Dd went to baby clinic today, is now 9lbs exactly smile and on 75th percentile. She's 3 weeks today. Hope she doesn't get the pox if ds does indeed have it sad

RubyrooUK Tue 23-Apr-13 16:45:44

....and so DS2 and I both return from the doctors with antibiotics. I may have a c section scar infection - AGAIN - and DS has a nasty rash that hasn't cleared up and looks a bit "pus-y" according to the doctor.

We are such an attractive family right now. grin

RubyrooUK Tue 23-Apr-13 08:38:22

Oh bummer Whereisthesnow. I got mastitis with DS1 and it is so nasty. Hope the antibiotics knock it on the head quickly.

Had my first day totally alone with the two boys yesterday. Up till now we have had visitors/family/friends dropping in whenever DS1 is not at nursery.

It was fine. We left the house twice (I had to bribe DS1 with Rich Tea biscuits to use his legs) and watched far too much telly. But we all survived!

Now I am busy feeding DS2, who woke up every hour from 2am last night as he has a cold and had to sleep on DH's chest the whole time.

Question to anyone who had a c section - my scar has swelled up again after 6 weeks. I think I overdid it picking up DS1 on Saturday after he fell off a chair. Should I go to the doctor? Or will it go down? Doesn't look infected but worried in case I have done some damage....

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 23-Apr-13 02:56:42

Oh no, Whereisthesnow sad Hope it clears up very soon. Poor you. Hope you don't feel too rubbish with it.

DS has just done his millionth fifth poo of the night. confused Bowels like his father.....

Whereisthesnow Mon 22-Apr-13 23:37:33

Glad to hear its going better saycool.
Blah, I have got mastitis. Wasn't sure whether to go to gp today but really glad I did for antibiotics as main symptoms of flueyness came on very suddenly tonight - make sure you all go to gp right away if you suspect it!

num3onway Mon 22-Apr-13 05:46:31

Saycool good to hear you had an easier day!

Its 5.45ish and we are feeding again, also hsve ds2 in my bed as he had a bad dream.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 22-Apr-13 02:43:01

Been so much better and easier today with bottles. Expressed some so DS isn't totally overwhelmed by so much formula all at once. Thanks for your support ladies!

Twinkles hope you managed to get some sleep. Don't feel bad about your DH doing the school run - it's what they're there for! grin

Dirty I can't believe Dirtybaby is 6 weeks already! Wow.

<waves at Num3 doing the 2am feed>

num3onway Mon 22-Apr-13 02:05:00

Saycool, you sound to me like you have tried so hard to bf but it really Doesn't sound like a nice experience for you. I do think switching to the 'dark side' might be a good idea.

Sat here feeding dd, she had 4oz at 10, just over 4 now. Hopefully now sleep til 4ish and then 7/8ish!

Just need get her back in the basket!

Hope everyones having a good night x

twinklesparkles Sun 21-Apr-13 23:00:59

Saycool- I just left mine, didn't express at all.. They went hard but I went in the bath and they went squishy again grin I did leak everywhere though.... Especially when the baby cried sad made me feel so guilty. Wish I was still doing it now, but dd is a much happier baby on the bottle. So you do what's best for you and your baby flowers

Taking my dd to baby group for the first time tommorow and dh starts his new job smile should be a good day, not massively looking forward to getting back into the habit of the school run, especially with 2 kids and dh to get dressed in the morning. Dh has been doing all the school runs since dd was born, I only collected ds once in a week [embarassed].

Oh god, I just wanna stay in bed and sleep .. Yawn

Dirtymistress Sun 21-Apr-13 10:28:13

Hello all! Dirtybaby six weeks old today and DP now off for second week of paternity - thank god for that! We are alright, dirtybaby doesn't much like sleeping between the hours of 1-3am but it doesn't really bother me. He is struggling with reflux but given this is second time round for me I feel much more able to deal with it. Dirtytoddler still stroppy as hell about life in general but now very affectionate with his brother. Here's to having survived a trying few weeksgrin

SayCoolNowSayWhip Sun 21-Apr-13 10:05:42

<Sigh> Thought everything was going so well, but it's all gone downhill now. DS is screaming and crying after every feed now. In desperation, convinced that my crappy booby milk is the problem, gave him some formula last night and he slept for 3 and a half hours! (That's a long time for him btw...!) So I think I might, as Dirtymistress put it, go to the Dark Side.... Anyone have any ideas how you go about switching from breast to formula?

I'm upset about it because I really wanted to give bfing a good go, and have that whole nice magical bonding thing, but it's just not happening like that. He struggles at the breast, doesn't latch properly, milk squirts everywhere, he's screaming afterwards... It just doesn't seem right! Whereas he took the bottle of formula quite peacefully, I could stare into his eyes and smile, and he burped beautifully afterwards and went straight to sleep.

My boobs are massively leaking today, so not sure whether to express a little or just leave them....

twinklesparkles Sat 20-Apr-13 11:15:17

Saycool, its deffo doing something good smile its quite thick and doesn't taste nice so you'll have to put it in the milk. Cheaper than infacol, I've not used infacol on dd yet. Used it with ds, don't remember it being that good. I'm sure it says on the infacol that it takes 2 weeks to work.... Bit pointless really. Haven't heard that many people have a good experience with infacol though...

It could be the milk also that's helping, its very thick, but she's managing to get it out of the bottle so thats good. Will get faster teats soon

SayCoolNowSayWhip Sat 20-Apr-13 09:05:43

Hi all! Catching up on sleep?? Hahaha! Although last night wasn't too bad - DS seemed to be in a bit of a 3 hourly routine so I got a couple of 2 hour stretches of sleep. Makes all the difference!

Glad your DD is better twinkles - do you think the dentinox colic drops are better than infacol? DS is still getting very bad wind and gas but I remember that infacol made DD worse when she was a baby.

Zuleika, how did the TT snip go? Has there been any difference in feeding?

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun!

twinklesparkles Fri 19-Apr-13 21:25:39

I got dd cow and gate comfort and dentinox colic drops

She's much better already, don't know which one has made her better, she's managed to have a poo, have plenty to eat, no sickness and she's even had a couple hours sleep smile excellent.

twinklesparkles Fri 19-Apr-13 10:48:57

I used aptimil for ds but he was just too hungry for it, even the hungrier baby milk. Dd is less hungry than ds though, so it may be worth a try.

smile thanks num3 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now