Newborns, Bfing, Toddlers and Tantrums

(259 Posts)
SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 01-Apr-13 11:36:40

A carry on from the Pregnant and Overdue - 37/38 weeks thread in Pregnancy.

For those of us who have finally met our bundles of joy!

Come here to share birth stories, newborn issues, feeding, tips on how to deal with toddler siblings, or just general gripes and chit chat.

DS was born on Saturday and just sleeps and eats. I have a 2.5 yo DD who is being a bit of a monkey (understandably) with the new addition.

DS looks like he has a posterior tongue tie which is making latching incredibly painful. Have sent DH out for nipple shields - anyone used these?

Radiator1234 Tue 02-Apr-13 06:28:15

Re. Waking to feed....I tried to do it in the first few days during the day but struggled to wake her. Even employed a damp cloth on her face a few times if she fell asleep during a feed (how mean am I?!). Keen to tank up baby as much as poss during the day to try get more sleep at night. Generally though I respect the never wake a sleeping baby mantra. I never wake to feed at night.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 08:16:52

Thanks Radiator, that all sounds like me smile Nope, would definitely never wake a baby at night!

Second night at home was ok - DS and I are co sleeping which I could never do with DD and it's really working with getting sleep.

Definitely think he's a bit jaundiced so going to see if our MLU can see him today.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 08:24:30

I know what you mean about the latch. DS does not seem to open his mouth wide enough. Plus my boobs and areolas are massive - literally twice the size of his head! I'm seriously engorged already and my nipples are just excruciating sad

But judging from his nappies he's definitely getting some!

Dirtymistress Tue 02-Apr-13 08:26:52

Everybody slept in our house! Toddler (N) did 11 hours, bubs (E) just woke twice! Needed it after hellish two nights prior to thatgrin

DeathMetalMum Tue 02-Apr-13 08:32:53

Morning ladies, glad you had a good night SayCool how was everyone elses night? I second not waking during the night though I don't really let dd go more than 4 hours during the day.

Dd was a little jaundice but it dissapeared after a week (we also had it with dd1 slightly worse.) My mw last time suggested daylight and feeding lots as the best way to flush out the jaundice. We had the moses basket next to the window though not in direct sunlight. Seemed to work.

Whereisthesnow Tue 02-Apr-13 08:33:44

Hello I was lurking on the original thread, can I join? I have ds1 who is 3. Ds2 arrived on 25th march, had a successful vbac with just gas and air. He was 10lb!
Bit of a challenge this two child malarkey isn't it? Dh is still off on pat leave at the mo. think ds1 is really craving attention so doing silly stuff like throwing toys at ds2... Will get there in the end!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 10:00:47

Hi Whereisthesnow. Wow, 10lb! Ouch! grin
Yes, the 2-child thing is definitely challenging. At the moment DH is on DD and I'm on DS as obviously DH can't feed. It's going to be tricky once DH is back at work!

Dirtymistress that's great that you had such a good night - hope it continues!

Szeli Tue 02-Apr-13 10:42:25

We slept too; did resort to using a dummy a couple of times (really disappointed in myself) but sleep was required.

So not jealous of those with the tots and newborns, brave ladies! I'm sure itl get easier tho smile

xx

TheCountessOlenska Tue 02-Apr-13 12:22:40

Hello everyone, Radiator our new babies share a birthday! DS born 11/03/13, weighed 7,10. Smaller than DD which was a surprise! DD is 2.11 - 3 at end of this month.

DD has always been horrendous sleeper - still gets in our bed every night, I'm also co-sleeping with the babe (although hoping DS will get used to his basket!) so there are sometimes 4 in our bed atm shock Fortunately DH works away a few nights a week so there's more room in the bed on those nights grin So new baby up for a feed every 2 hours and DD kicking me in the back most of the night . . .shattered!

Whereisthesnow Tue 02-Apr-13 12:28:18

Szeli nothing wrong with dummy - whatever it takes. We have been topping up with formula already - did mixed feeding with ds1 and it worked well. You have to look after your own sanity !

RubyrooUK Tue 02-Apr-13 14:37:43

Hello. Can I join? <very weary wave>

I have DS1, who is 2.7 years old. And DS2, who was born on 13.03.13.

Sorry to hear about your crappy birth Szeli. I had a terribly traumatic birth with DS1 (red lights flashing, emergency, overdose of my drugs by midwife and so on...). DS2 was therefore a c section, which was much more sedate but I've had a hard time recovering. It is particularly hard wrangling a toddler who you can't pick up but who doesn't understand that.

DS1 ignored me and the baby for a few days telling everyone that "mummy isn't here anymore" when I was RIGHT THERE. But now he seems to like the baby - he asks me to pick him up and cuddle him, he says "don't worry baby, it's ok" a lot and so on. He wants to show the baby his toys and TV. So I think it's getting better.

Although he has been having some almighty wobblers too. Hard to tell if it's related or just his age. grin

DS2 is pretty chilled. DS1 screamed from the day he was born and first started napping at 12 weeks. He breastfed for 45 minutes every 45 minutes.

Comparatively, DS2 has been sleeping quite well. He was up for three feeds last night but that felt entirely normal for me and at least there were a couple of hours of straight sleep in there! Shame DS1 was up in the night three times too....smile

Radiator1234 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:45:09

Ahh good stuff Countess. Congrats on the 11th March baba too!

Szeli honestly don't beat yourself up about the dummy. I think most people end up using them in the end (including me). All the books even recommend it in the first six months or so. Babies need to suck on something so it's either a dummy or your boob. Ouch to the latter!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 17:45:55

Hi Rubyroo! grin Yes that's the problem with two of them - even if one is sleeping well, you can bet the other one won't be!

DD has had D&V since last night - joy. DS has started korma-ing. So our nappies are just joyous!

RubyrooUK Tue 02-Apr-13 18:13:09

Oh no SayCool - your poor DD. And obviously poor you. D&V is my worst of all nightmares.

DS1 had an ear infection when DS2 was born which has now settled into a nasty cold. DS2 also has a nasty cold already, which seems extremely unfair. And he is blocked up and vomiting his breastfeeds so I have to repeat them.

But....DS1 has been giving me enormous cuddles and being very sweet with his little brother so I should stop complaining as things have been worse!

Dirtymistress Tue 02-Apr-13 18:19:43

I have survived another 12 hour day alone with themgrin And made it to soft play and the swings! Everyone is still alivegrin will be starting on the jack Daniels as soon as DP walks through the door in ten minutes though, Christ on a bike, I am knackered!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 18:22:26

It's horrible when they're ill, isn't it. Your poor DS2 - really hope that clears up. And your DS1 of course, but ill newborns are just so difficult to treat.

Am stuck on sofa bfing DS while DH puts DD down. It's heartbreaking cos she keeps asking for 'mummy cuddles' and I'm powerless to do anything! What do you do when they both need you??!

Arrgh. I need wine.....

SayCoolNowSayWhip Tue 02-Apr-13 18:22:57

X post with DirtyMistress - good on you for surviving the day!

Whereisthesnow Tue 02-Apr-13 18:34:21

Rubyroo your ds2 has the same birthday as my ds1! Sounds like you're doing well though.

Just did ds1's bedtime and bath. He was desperately trying to get all his toys out for me to play with and procrastinating a lot. Felt like I was going to have a little weep with it as I just feel very torn as could hear ds2 starting to yowl for a feed

RubyrooUK Tue 02-Apr-13 18:43:58

Well done for surviving the day DirtyMistress - you appear to have accomplished activities too!

SayCool - it is so so hard to divide your time. Every time I feed DS2, my DS1 comes and sits on the front of my lap. It's very sweet but suffocating. This also occurs when I go to the toilet which is even worse. grin

At the moment, I'm putting DS1 to bed while DH wrangles DS2 and walks him up and down until I'm done. This won't last when DS2 gets more vocal with his objections but it is such a nightmare getting DS1 to bed without me at the moment that he takes priority.....it all feels like we are surviving on a knife edge and everything may fail at any moment.

Dirtymistress Tue 02-Apr-13 20:19:57

I agree with everyone else, trying to keep them both happy is really hard work. I feel like a coiled spring all day long. I can't ever relax. I back to the weight I was before I had ds1 already I think just from all the nervous energy, oh and never having time to eatconfused

TheCountessOlenska Tue 02-Apr-13 20:22:36

Ha ha Rubyroo my DD is doing the lap thing too - I have to check every so often that the life hasn't been crushed from poor little DS, who is manfully remaining latched on under my jumper somewhere!!

Staycool I know, it breaks my heart that I can't snuggle with DD at bedtime anymore - I am still doing bedtime because DH not here, but I have to sit and bf DS (next to the bath, next to the bed etc etc) rather than actually getting in for a cuddle like I used too sad

Szeli my dummy is MIDWIFE APPROVED grin . Never used one with DD but my boobs were so sore for the first week than my midwife told me to use the dummy to give me a break. I am finding it great for the car and pushchair although he is not a big fan of it at night (prefers boob) but I will persevere as I think they are great for self settling (which DD still struggles with age nearly 3)

beanzmum Tue 02-Apr-13 21:11:12

Yay that I can join in the newborn thread, and that I've got time to post!! Double whammy grin

I've got DD, who was 3yrs at the end of Feb, and DS was born on Saturday - 30.03.13. He was 4.26kg (9lb 5?-ish) & a natural birth on gas & air. After he was born I think I was in shock that I'd actually done it (although I know that's what our bodies are designed to do). We were home the same evening, which was great as we could introduce DD to her baby brother before bedtime. Although must admit the 'grass is greener' version is that it would have been nice to have some time just with DS to bond a bit before launching headlong into the attention-juggling act.

BFing seem much easier with DS than it ever was with DD, although admittedly it is early days. Think it's slightly down to DS latching well instinctively and being super hungry. He seems to be a cluster feeder. Which is ok as it means he's sleeping in big chunks. Just awkward to manage DD's need for my time as well in the feeding 'zones'

Szeli, so sorry to hear about your birthing experience. I hope things improve dramatically from a low starting point. And I'm all for the dummy as well. My mum gave me some sage advice about the dummy for DD - sucking is a natural self-soothing reflex, and as they get older, a dummy habit is far easier to break than a thumb/ finger sucking one! (ie- you can't very well take away a finger wink)

Dirtymistress Wed 03-Apr-13 02:35:34

Hi beanz. I am shock at you going home so quick. How are you feeling physically? X

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Apr-13 04:21:38

Ok if there was ever a night to make me give up bfing, this is it. I have literally not stopped feeding since 8 in the evening.

I am exhausted.

RubyrooUK Wed 03-Apr-13 04:28:45

Ah I feel your pain SayCool. Here I am awake and feeding too. Since DS2 likes to overeat and vomit, his last feed has taken an hour with breaks for winding. But I have had a couple of hours sleep between 11-1am and 2-3am so I haven't done a marathon session like you.

Damn these babies with their need for food. I can't see anybody bringing me a full meal at 4:30am. Apparently adults have to show some self restraint. All very disappointing. smile

And hello Countess and Beanz too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now