Moving baby to own room

(7 Posts)
Vespar7 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:59:03

My DD is almost 5 months and my DP is very keen for her to move into her own room. I will definitely wait till 6 months but I am feeling a little nervous about moving her out. I know I am probably being ridiculous and it would be better for DD because we wake her up when we go to bed and wake up. She generally sleeps very well so I don't need her in my room for practical reasons. I am feeling anxious about the prospect of it and I'm not really sure why. Have other people found that their babies noticed they were not in the same room as their parents?

Maebe Wed 27-Mar-13 20:15:52

I can't say that DD noticed at all! We used to take her in to her room to do the night feed when she was still sleeping in our room, and then we just started putting her back to sleep in her cot there, and she didn't seem to notice.

Could you start putting your DD down to nap (if she does nap in a cot) in her room during the day, to get her used to it?

delilah88 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:18:27

Hi Vespar I empathise, I have exactly the same situation. I think if I was a single parent I'd have DD in my room until much older, but my DP also eager for her to move.
I don't have any advice, though! But good luck.

Vespar7 Thu 28-Mar-13 06:58:31

Good to know Maebe. I think I will be more stressed about it than her. She naps in her cot during the day and I can't really move in to the other bedroom that easily because there are a few steps involved and would be quite a faff. Think I just need to get a grip and move her out!

MortifiedAdams Thu 28-Mar-13 06:59:58

DD honestly didnt notice. She had had the odd.nap in her cot but never anything longer, but we just popped her in one night and shes been there ever since.

Welovegrapes Thu 28-Mar-13 07:02:56

Just to give the other perspective, I felt funny about moving DS out so he stayed in with us until past one - made it less hassle to go to him at night, so worked well for us.

mumsnoc Thu 28-Mar-13 16:30:01

I had exactly the same feelings when it came to moving our little guy out of our room at 6 months but, like you, we were starting to wake him up when we were going to bed or during the night if we'd go to the bathroom etc. He was not taking a night feed so I didn't need to be right beside him as well but I thought he might be scared if he woke up all alone in his own room and when it came to it I was also a little sad about him moving out myself even though it was becoming a pain tiptoeing around and being afraid to turn over in case I'd rustle the bedclothes too noisily.

Turned out he didn't really notice. We've always changed his nappies in his room so he was familiar with it for that but had never slept in it as his cot was in our room. I think he might have woken up a bit earlier than usual the first morning but after that it's been fine and I think he does actually sleep better in there than he did in our room. He doesn't seem to miss us at all! shock
And I got used to the big gap (and extra space) his cot left after a couple of days... wink.

Long story short, it won't be as bad as you think it will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now