Nursery...illness and distress...please tell me it gets better.

(30 Posts)
PumpkinAndHoneyBunny Wed 27-Mar-13 19:04:44

Second day of daycare for dc1 whose 16 months old. It's going horribly. She's so ill and seems to have caught everything going - vommitting, cold, cough, eye infection etc.

Everytime we approach the doors she becomes hysterical and staff have old me she doesn't stop crying all day until I pick her up 9 hours later. She won't eat anything except a bottle of milk and won't nap.

I feel like the worst mother in the world and am happy and cheery to her face but crying on the inside.

Please tell me it gets better?

rrreow Thu 28-Mar-13 15:13:25

Did you have a settling in period? It's a big change, going from a primary carer in her home environment (which I assume she's had up till now) to a nursery environment: strange place, strange people etc.

When DS started nursery he had a 2 week settling in period where you stay for a few hours, leave for a few minutes, building up to leaving several hours until they've connected more with their key worker and are not as distressed when you leave. Still took about 3 or 4 months for DS to be completely happy and not cry at drop off though, but I'd say crying all day is unacceptable, something needs to be done so she can either transition properly or have a solution that is better suited to her needs.

PumpkinAndHoneyBunny Fri 29-Mar-13 11:22:24

Yesterday was a much better day for her, they said she cried for 20 mins after I left a bit before nap time but rest of the day she laughed an smiled and played. She ate breakfast some lunch and tea plus snacks and slept for an hour.
Feel cautiously positive...could this be a sign shes happier or a fluke?

PumpkinAndHoneyBunny Fri 29-Mar-13 11:24:34

Also took her to docs and he gave her antibiotics for her ear so she was obviously unwell.

Think keeping her in during mat leave makes sense even just a couple afternoons.
Really hopes the easter break doesnt set her back.

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 29-Mar-13 11:26:35

Fingers crossed for you - sounds positive smile

juneau Fri 29-Mar-13 11:26:58

Adjusting to nursery at your DD's age can be hard, because many DC are going through separation anxiety at this age i.e. they are very strongly bonded with you and don't understand a) why you're leaving and b) that you will come back and get them. This often leads to a very stressful and upsetting adjustment period both for them and you. The good news is that most DC do adjust. The not eating and not sleeping is part of that, but could you perhaps send in a couple of little pots of food from home? That's what I did with my DSs and it seemed to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now