Baby insists on being attachment-parented!

(8 Posts)
delilah88 Wed 27-Mar-13 10:21:35

My DD (5 months) has become more and more clingy. At the start she was very happy to nap in her basket/crib and play alone, but now screams unless she is in our arms or the baby carrier (doesn't really like the pram any more). She won't nap in her cot and increasingly cries out in the night so much we've ended up having her in our bed where she instantly calms down. So she is now carried all day and co-sleeps, eats with us etc. but these are not things we decided! She is EBF but with some small bits of food now.

Is there any way I can get her back to being more independent? I love carrying her but do need her to nap and sleep in cot.

HearMyRoar Wed 27-Mar-13 10:40:49

Babies go through phases of being super clingy. It can be a pita but if you ride it out this to shall pass smile

ZuleikaD Wed 27-Mar-13 11:00:03

Best thing to do is go with it. Trying to ignore it or force them to do without the physical closeness they want generally strings things out longer or - worse - can result in longer-term anxiety.

NeedlesCuties Wed 27-Mar-13 15:24:45

"...but these are not things we decided!..."

Yep, thus is the way motherhood goes. Lots and lots of things will happen that weren't what you envisioned prior to baby being born.

You're doing a good job following your baby's lead, hard as it might be. They're still very very tiny and need you all the time for everything, it's totally natural.

nethunsreject Wed 27-Mar-13 15:26:31

Ach it's hard work, but babies are not designed to be independent.
Enjoy the cuddles, rest as much as poss.
You're being a great mum giving her what she needs (and it is a 'need', not a 'want').

MamaBlue4 Thu 28-Mar-13 14:26:02

My 23 month old is still clingy and was like it as a baby, I used to put her in the cot with something that smelt like me or Dh, eventually that worked. Sorry cant be more of help! X

delilah88 Fri 29-Mar-13 19:52:23

LOL I thought that said 23 year old for a moment....! Thanks everyone.

MamaBlue4 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:07:27

I hope she's grown out of it by 23! Haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now