20 month old swimming - random question!

(10 Posts)
QTPie Wed 27-Mar-13 21:50:14

We have always just done a mixture of holding and using a pool noodle (under the armpits). Now DS can swim half a (fairly small) width unaided (3 years 2 months). If he learnt to keep his head above water, he would be able to swim further ;)

MegMogAndOwl Wed 27-Mar-13 17:12:20

I've just got my 19 mo dd one of these

float suit

It's inflatable so you can adjust the buoyancy and also has sun protection to SPF50.

I was a bit dubious about buying it as the reviews were a bit mixed but I used it for the first time yesterday and she definitely seemed more confident than when we've used armbands.

FeckOffCup Wed 27-Mar-13 17:04:59

These ones here.

FeckOffCup Wed 27-Mar-13 17:01:58

My 2 year old has used armbands for a while, the float vest was rubbish. Invest in a decent pair of armbands and that should be enough, I got zoggs roll ups ones and she can swim on her own when wearing them.

Beatrixpotty Wed 27-Mar-13 08:49:13

Arm bands are a good idea and he can splash about safely,I used them with mine at 20 months.

emalushka Wed 27-Mar-13 08:19:09

I would guess that there aren't many 20 month olds that can swim! We started with armbands around this age, but they did take some getting used to. Just hold on to your child and don't fully let go. Enjoy the water and get them used to it (splashing, wetting face, kicking legs etc). They'll love it.

snowchick1977 Wed 27-Mar-13 08:18:15

Zero entry....so he can walk into depth gradually rather than just having to jump off the side into depth.

He'll probably just splash about to waist height in that case.

Ill maybe try armbands, but the flotation vest things looked quite good too.

chocolatecrispies Wed 27-Mar-13 08:11:36

I don't think any 20 month olds can swim without aid no matter how many swimming lessons they have has. We have a buoyancy swimsuit which we got from Amazon and we also used arm bands at first as she seemed to over balance with just the swim suit. She gets herself around the pool independently which she prefers to being held all the time.

BettyStogs Wed 27-Mar-13 08:07:45

What's a zero entry pool?

DS is 18 mo and has been having swimming lessons since he was 6 mo. He can't swim on his own but can get around with one of those big foam noodles. Otherwise he is always holding on to me or DH. Best thing would be to not put anything on him and just don't let go.

snowchick1977 Wed 27-Mar-13 08:00:58

Sorry to post here...not really sure where to post a question about swimming?

We are going away in 2 weeks with our ds who is 20 months old. There is a zero entry pool. He can't swim....we have been to baby swimming lessons when he was tiny but he can't swim.

What should I put on him to keep him safe...sounds daft but I mean armbands, float vest etc?

Im really unsure....and stupid probably!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now