Come and recommend a balance bike

(24 Posts)

We'd like to get dd1 a balance bike for her 2nd birthday. Can anyone recommend one for us. Ideally less than £60.

Thank you!

Fairyegg Tue 26-Mar-13 16:05:08

I just got one from tesco, think it was about £30 but that was a couple of years ago. It was a bit big for her at just 2 though, was better as she approached her third birthday. Any bike will do, you an just take the pedals off.

NaturalBaby Tue 26-Mar-13 16:35:01

We got one from decathlon - it's plastic so light and easy to carry, and I have a scooter strap so I can carry it if DS gets fed up and wants to walk. We got it for his 2nd birthday but his big brother ended up using it for nearly a year! It's still a bit too big for 2yr old ds3 and he's quite tall.

JollyYellowGiant Tue 26-Mar-13 16:43:05

I think it would be a good idea for you to go and look at what your local shops have to offer. At just 2, quite a lot of balance bikes will be too tall for her, so you'll likely need to sit her on them first to judge the height.

DS has a Specialized HotWalk, but it is quite heavy and around the £100 mark.

BikeRunSki Tue 26-Mar-13 16:49:30

Islabike Rothan, Islabike Rothan, Islabike Rothan, Islabike Rothan....

but about twice your budget. Beautifully designed and built. Light but not skippy, well balanced, proper brake, proper pneumatic tyres to absorb bumps and can be replaced when (if) they wear out (plastic wheels can and do wear through).... I am a big fan, a good investment if you are planning more than one DC, because it will last forever. Actually, even if you are not, because it is so well engineered.

equiliteral Tue 26-Mar-13 19:25:24

Isla bikes will also let you trade in your Rothan when your dc is ready for the next size up bike. Love ours, it has been used almost daily for 2 and a half years, is on DC2 and still looks and works like new.

AliceWChild Tue 26-Mar-13 19:26:30

Isla bike

JoulesM Tue 26-Mar-13 19:33:42

Isla bike...eBay! There are some fab second hand ones and if yr outside of London and not trying to buy at peak times (I.e. Xmas) you can get one for around £60. Your toddler won't notice it's second hand and if you get a good one like we did it will look brand new anyway! They are simply fab!!

Dd's puky small balance bike was just under £60, although I bought a strap and helmet too, so a bit over. She got it for her second birthday, she isn't large or physically confident but she took to it straight away. I like it.

We bought DS a Kiddimoto but he's never taken to it, he kept asking for a 'proper bike' shock

IslaValargeone Tue 26-Mar-13 20:06:56

Zoom.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can get an islabike on eBay then, if not look at a puky.

Thank you!

lljkk Tue 26-Mar-13 20:28:45

Less than £60 you need to research 2nd hand bargains on Ebay. We got a LikeaBike on there for £25 (sold it for £40), occasionally a Rothan will sell for under £60 delivered. There are several other good makes.

Watch out for plastic wheel ones, they are okay as occasional toys but not half as good as pneumatic tyres.

nellyjelly Tue 26-Mar-13 20:31:03

Tinybike.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Tue 26-Mar-13 20:32:15

Don't bother. If he's anything like DS he'll say 'I want a proper bike with pedals' and refuse to go near it

FairyPenguin Tue 26-Mar-13 20:39:50

We have a Firstbike. It is so light and the seat is height adjustable. Really good. We looked at other ones but DS wasn't strong enough to manoeuvre them, and this light plastic one was so much lighter. He loves it. smile

YeahThatsTheBadger Tue 26-Mar-13 20:45:06

Lidl have some for £25 this week.

Tournesol Tue 26-Mar-13 21:21:08

We got a puky for my very small two year old DS and he loves it! Only problem s he is a total speed demon on it and so I now have to run to keep up with him.

rumbelina Tue 26-Mar-13 21:30:19

We got a decathlon b'twin for £25 online. It's light and easy to adjust and ds loves it.

rumbelina Tue 26-Mar-13 21:31:27

Meant to say he is quite tall but there's plenty of adjustment left in it.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see if I can get an eBay deal on one of the brands recommended.

ihearttc Wed 27-Mar-13 20:36:49

We have just got DS2 who is 2.5 a Puky one. He is tiny though and it was the smallest one I found. It was £59.95 with free next day delivery from Puky if that helps at all?

Tournesel-thats exactly why we got the Puky one...he is tiny also and all the others were way too big for him! He is a speed demon as well and when I saw him attempting to try and ride his Scuttlebug on 2 wheels rather than 3(he was sort of sideways riding it so only 2 wheels were on the floor!) I figured it'd be worth a go! Haven't tried it yet cause the weather here isnt great but looks really good quality.

DS2 loves the Scoot balance bike he's inherited from DS1.

fiddlemethis Sat 30-Mar-13 21:16:09

I sell balance bikes, I could do you a bit of a mumsnet deal if you like. They are both bamboo and very well built. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now