How many children do you want? Ideally?

(108 Posts)
redplanet Mon 25-Mar-13 16:43:31

Are you having less than you would like to becuase of financial/ social/ practical restraints? Do you think you always regret not having the last one?

RealityQuake Mon 25-Mar-13 20:20:44

I have 4. Originally planned 5 or 6, and still think of it, but pregnancy/birth is too risky for me at this point, I don't think I could handle it and don't want to risk not so DH has had the snip. We're hoping to be in a place to foster or adopt in a few years.

However, my friends are wanting 2 or less, most want none. Same with family - my kids make up over half the grandkids on both sides (and DH is from a family with 5 kids, I'm 1 of 3). Very personal, no right answers.

CheerfulYank Mon 25-Mar-13 20:30:07

Yes OP, I think I'll end up with 5-ish. smile I have one right now and one coming in May.

I doubt they will all be biological though, DH and I would really like to adopt.

CheerfulYank Mon 25-Mar-13 20:33:46

Agree with "no right answers". My dad has two, his brother has one, his other brother has three, and their "baby" sister has six. She and her DH didn't plan on all of them certainly, but it happened and my cousins are all amazing. She's a fantastic mom.

I, as I said, want five and everyone I know thinks I'm insane. All of my friends plan on one, two, or none.

louisianablue2000 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:04

We wanted three and have three. Very lucky, we didn't have DD1 until I was nearly 37 and had DC3 when I was 42.

BertieBotts Mon 25-Mar-13 21:45:52

Zero. Too late grin

Nah, not really. I've always wanted a big family, I'd love to have four or five, I'd never cope though sad

I have one and would like one or two more so that DS has a sibling.

NotSoNervous Mon 25-Mar-13 21:46:50

I would like 3 ideally but as always it depends on finances ect...

Zatopek Mon 25-Mar-13 21:48:59

I have two. I love babies and would love to give birth again but I don't want any more children. Two is hard enough.

rubyrubyruby Mon 25-Mar-13 21:52:25

I planned to have 2 - I have 4 and then considered 5

Too late now

mrsjrob Mon 25-Mar-13 21:53:13

I have 4 would like 5/6 but can't afford anymore

Annunziata Mon 25-Mar-13 21:53:42

I wanted 6 and was lucky enough to have them.

We have 1. I would like 4...maybe even 5. OH only wants 2, at that is at a push.

For us, it's personal constraints. He wants less than me, so he wins.

(for now...!)

Velvetbee Mon 25-Mar-13 22:00:06

Wanted 2, have 4. Wasn't concentrating at pertinent moments.

chesticles Mon 25-Mar-13 22:01:53

I have 3, but only really wanted 2. (2nd preg was twins). Although I wouldn't change it now that they are here, I still think 2 would be easier so ideally would still only like 2.

Pregnant with dc2, would like three in total.

I wanted 2, I have 2. After dd1 I knew I wasn't done, but now I feel contented with what I have.

grin at Velvetbee. You need to pay attention!

ariane5 Mon 25-Mar-13 23:35:06

I would have LOVED 5. We have 4 but due to their health problems we just wouldn't manage with anymore sad

Ds2 is 11months and it is going too quick-I think Iam in danger of babying him forever!

If we won the lottery then I'd probably have another one !

SquidgyMummy Mon 25-Mar-13 23:47:57

I have one DS who is 2.5.
Would like another but DP says no, DS was / is too much hard work (true). Time is running out as I am 42.5
Also DP has 2 older D(S)C's who live abroad so DP obviously feels he has enough DCs.

Funnily enough I am one of 3 and not very close to my DSis or DB so actually wondering if siblings are all thery're cracked up to be and it would be better for me to help DS cultivate good friends instead....

TheSecondComing Mon 25-Mar-13 23:49:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgathaPinchBottom Tue 26-Mar-13 07:35:43

I have one ds just turned 2.
Would love another one. DH is 30 years older than me with grown up children and doesn't want any more. It wouldn't be practical or financially astute to have another. But it doesn't stop me wanting one.

windywoo26 Tue 26-Mar-13 07:43:32

I have always wanted 2. I have one DS and am 9 wks pg with DC2. Not sure if this is another boy if DH would want to try for a girl. I would not be bothered at all. We'll find out in 7 months all being well

chickabilla Tue 26-Mar-13 07:48:52

Dc3 arrived 4 weeks ago and we are definitely done.

redplanet Tue 26-Mar-13 09:48:13

Thank you all for your replies!

duchesse Tue 26-Mar-13 09:58:51

Always wanted 4, even as a 21 yo. Had a massive unexpected gap before number 4 but they are all here now. I do not want any more.

duchesse Tue 26-Mar-13 09:59:31

Oh, and had the last one at 41 (not by choice but it's been absolutely fine).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now