ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

2 children different ages. 1 bedroom. bedtime routine.....??

(8 Posts)
sjupes Mon 25-Mar-13 11:21:25

We've got an 8 year old and a 16 month old sharing just now - we put the baby to bed at 8 wait till he is definitely asleep then the 8 year old goes up at 9 ish.

It works well unless the baby is unwell then poor dd ends up sleeping on the sofa as ds beats her up when he wakes up sad it's a pain but 9/10 it works.

God help when dc3 arrives and we're still in a flipping 2 bedroom...

mrsR1991 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:57:07

hopefully they won't wake eachother, i'm just a huge worrier over anything child or pregnancy related so i am now worrying about them sharing a room! xx

Poledra Mon 25-Mar-13 09:46:50

You might find that they don't wake each other - my two younger DDs share a room and it has been known for one to wake up vomiting and crying, DH to change a bed and me to change, clean and comfort said child and the other one snores on blithely through the whole thing!

popsnsqeeze Mon 25-Mar-13 09:42:22

I have 2 daughters, one 5 and one 21 months. I bath them together then get them dressed on my bed. I read the 21 month old a couple of stories, then I put her to bed. Then I read the 5 year old a longer story which takes about 10 minutes, sometimes I'll let her watch a short show - Charlie and Lola or similar. Then as soon as the youngest has fallen asleep I put the big one down. Works fine for me!
I did put them to bed together for a while but they just wound each other up.

mrsR1991 Mon 25-Mar-13 09:09:27

pregnantpause that sounds like a good plan. thanks smile xx

I do them together. The baby has a later bedtime than her sister did, but it is the easiest way for me and she naps in the day.
I bath them together dress them and read two stories on the floor before putting each in their bed with a kiss and goodnight.smile
I tried it in turns and it meant waking the younger taking the elder to bed.

Bearandcub Mon 25-Mar-13 08:36:52

Worry about it closer to the time.

If I'm on my own I take both upstairs read them stories in the same bed, whilst DS2 drinks his bottle. Sing to DS1. Leave the room.

If I'm not DP does one, I do the other.

mrsR1991 Mon 25-Mar-13 08:29:30

Hi i'm not sure if this is the right section to post but i will anyway. Really need some help/advice. I am due by second baby in August. When baby arrives our daughter will be 18 months and i know baby will be in with us for the first 4-6 months but my question is, How shall i do the bedtime routine when they are sharing a room? Our daughter would be around 2 and baby would be around 6 months so may still wake during the night and wake our daughter... Anyone else have children this age that share and how do you do it? Do i put them to bed at the same time or one before the other and which order?? Was really hoping to move into a 3 bed house but we don't have the money at the moment so will be staying put in our 2 bed house. Thanks in advance xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now