How to end co-sleeping?

(10 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Fri 22-Mar-13 13:56:51

Thanks for the replies, I've tried with something that smells of me which unfortunately didn't work, and I like the idea of her sharing with DD1 - thank you very much for the link, I think its probably going to end up as the only option other than sending her to North Africa for a couple of weeks.

rrreow Thu 21-Mar-13 17:30:48
rrreow Thu 21-Mar-13 17:30:32

Don't expect to do it overnight. We used the tips in this post: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/a1394888-What-worked-for-us-Hope-this-helps which really worked for us and was in keeping with our parenting wishes. We first went from co-sleeping to cot next to our bed, then moved the cot to the other end of the room, then finally cot in DSs own bedroom. DS is now 22mo and very happily sleeps in his own cot, in his own room and has recently even slept through the night a handful of times! shock

vess Thu 21-Mar-13 17:21:47

Mattress on the floor in shared room with sibling. If she wakes up, she can go to your bed or you can go to hers. Worked fine with DD1 and DD2.

Nicolaeus Thu 21-Mar-13 17:12:34

Sorry on phone

To stop BF at night I upped milk intake in the day and chose a weekend expecting bad nights. To my surprise it worked without tears ! I offered a sip of water then carried DS around upright (so not in feeding position) until he calmed then put him back to bed.

At 17 months we put him in a normal single bed - he suddenly refused his cot. We still co sleep occasionally but he usually falls asleep in his bed. The trick for us is getting the timing right. Last night he screamed ad cried when put to bed. I let him stay up an extra 20 mins and he went to bed quietly ...

Oh and when we first bought the bed we encouraged him to play on it

Nicolaeus Thu 21-Mar-13 17:08:17

To stop BF at night I upped milk intake in the day and chose a weekend expecting bad nights. To my surprise it worked without tears ! I offered a sip of water then carried DS around upright (so not in feedin

LastTangoInDevonshire Thu 21-Mar-13 16:52:32

If DH cuddles her to sleep during the day, and you BF and co-sleep with her at night, why are you surprised she doesn't want to go in her cot by herself?

I would stop the daytime cuddling to sleep to start with and see how you get on.

MamaBlue4 Thu 21-Mar-13 15:44:59

Have tried laying them in the cot with something you've worn or something that smells like you?

Some babies use the smell as a comfort, so if you put them in a cot that is entirely new and nothing smells like you or your DH, they may feel unsettled.

When I breastfed and nursed ds1, I used the same blanket and when moved to the cot (at 18 months), gave him the blanket to sleep with, he was unsettled a few nights but I kept nursing him then putting him in the cot once he was asleep, eventually he settled.

That's the only advice I have, sorry! Good luck though,

lolathemagnificent Thu 21-Mar-13 15:39:08

Bump

Watching with interest op as I am in the exact same position. I tried before putting DS in his cot but perhaps he could sense he wasn't in my bed, with me as he would constantly wake throughout the night (which he normally never does) kept at it for a fortnight but was so exhausted in the end he's now back in with me and it's back to square one blush

BeeMyBaby Thu 21-Mar-13 13:52:40

Yes I know I've made a rod for my own back etc. but now I would like said rod removed and to sleep on its own.

Basically DD2 is almost 16 months old, co sleeps and BFs over night. She will not go in a cot under any circumstances, and during the day DH cuddles her to sleep in our bed, or DM puts her in the pushchair for a nap. I was hoping to put her in her own bed maybe at 18months, but didn't know how feasible this would be, and if anyone had any tips for success? My only other option would be for DH to take her to visit his family for a couple of weeks, as at least there would be an end to bfeeding and an end to needing me, but perhaps a little brutal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now