5 yo stealing food

(9 Posts)
Tailtwister Sat 02-Mar-13 13:49:11

A lock might be a good idea Whirliwig. He does lots of baking with me (daily) and I do let him do all the non hazardous stuff, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm just glad you all think it's not a sign of anything sinister. I'll keep an eye on it though, just in case.

Whirliwig72 Sat 02-Mar-13 06:31:37

Can you put a child lock on the baking cupboard but have regular supervised baking sessions?

QTPie Fri 01-Mar-13 23:12:22

Definitely sounds like he is experimenting with his passion for baking.

Good luck smile

Tailtwister Fri 01-Mar-13 21:55:11

No, he's definitely no eating it, just messing around with it. I'll try to give him more of a chance to do his own thing and hopefully that might encourage him not to do it secretly. He does love the GBBO, so maybe he's copying that. It is driving me a bit mad though!

QTPie Fri 01-Mar-13 21:45:44

Yes I do, tail twister, at least from what you have written.

My DS is just over 3 and not into baking yet (we do a little together, but not loads), but he is very much an "I do it! I do it!" boy.... He often wants to do it buy himself and not together. It sounds as though this is the same sort of thing: I want to try it out by myself without mummy interfering (not that you are!). I used to be very similar. If you were into gardening, he would probably want to go off and dig his own holes and plant his own "things" (in addition to anything that you do together). I actually think it is "healthy": he is wanting to practice the same things on his own. As Writehand says - "play baking"

Also as Writehand says, unless he is eating it (well lots of it) it shouldn't be a problem. But I understand worries about cost/waste/mess.

See what you can do to give him his own supplies and opportunities to "play bake" in a way that is comfortable to you. In addition to all of the baking you do together (lucky boy!). Sounds like he is developing a passion for cooking and baking - definitely worth encouraging smile

Writehand Fri 01-Mar-13 17:33:46

Unless he's eating all this stuff, and suddenly getting much fatter (which could be an illness) I don't think you've anything to worry about. If you bake together he's probably just "play baking" in his room.

Tailtwister Fri 01-Mar-13 17:30:47

You think it's innocent QTPie? I hope so, it's really starting to concern me a bit. He doesn't have any food issues I'm aware of, eats a variety of food and a decent amount.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps I need to give him a bit more independence. It's hard in the kitchen though (for safety) and I generally do let him do all the non hazardous things too. I'll have a chat with him and see what he says about having his own supplies. Thanks for giving your opinion.

QTPie Fri 01-Mar-13 16:34:18

It sounds pretty innocent to me (I think!): sounds like he is copying you but with "independence" (ie wanting to do it himself and in his own way).

Can you maybe spare him his own ingredients and give him his own cupboard and ration him? On the condition that he doesn't raid yours. So he does his own "baking" on his own terms?

Sounds like a very clever little boy, but can see why it drives you mad and could work out expensive sad

Tailtwister Fri 01-Mar-13 15:45:02

DS (5) has started stealing food and hiding it. It's usually ingredients, stuff like sugar, marzipan, sugarpaste (I make a lot of cakes) etc. I've found stuff hidden in his room, under his bed, in the dining room and it's driving me nuts. He very nearly didn't get his birthday cake as he kept taking the sugar paste I needed for it.

I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work. He gets fed well and regularly and it doesn't seem to do it out of hunger. He sometimes takes water and mixes stuff up in bowls. It's a complete nightmare and I don't know what to do about it. Is this a sign of something more serious? It's not normal behaviour is it? He got up at 4am once and did it!

Also, we do lots of stuff together and as a family and I let him bake and cook with me daily.

All advice welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now