Those with older children - at what age did you stop reading a bed time story?

(9 Posts)
Graceparkhill Wed 27-Feb-13 22:58:16

Probably about 10 or 11. I am unsporty and rubbish at board games but I enjoyed the reading and so did my boys so it wasn't a chore.

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:57:26

Yes both of mine do read to themselves, but they also enjoy me reading to them

ceeveebee Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:35

At that age I was reading to myself under the duvet with a torch grin!

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:55:49

I enjoy reading to them - just not that late. Perhaps I need to negotiate over an earlier reading slot. Or maybe do it just at weekends

dd is 9 and reads to herself at night now. I still read to ds (6) when he manages to get upstairs early enough

whethergirl Wed 27-Feb-13 22:54:05

Would it suit to read to them at an earlier time? So not quite 'bed time' story.

I still read to ds age 8 and we both really enjoy it. However, I've always liked reading stories and can sympathise if you don't, as there are other things I don't enjoy doing as a parent. How long do you read for? Maybe just cut it down?

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:53:49

Mine still love it too - but for dd (age 10) if I read to her we are not done and dusted until half nine and i'm ready for bed myself an hour after that

MirandaWest Wed 27-Feb-13 22:51:13

I sometimes wonder about it (mine are 9 and 7) but overall think I'd miss it. They both still enjoy it and I generally do too. I also find they are more likely to talk to me about other things when I'm reading to them which it would be a pity to miss out on I think.

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:49:06

I guess I am just looking for validation that it is okay to stop at age 8 and 10. Now they go to bed later (at 8.30 and 9pm) I just don't get an evening if I have to read to them come bed time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now