Those with older children - at what age did you stop reading a bed time story?

(9 Posts)
hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:49:06

I guess I am just looking for validation that it is okay to stop at age 8 and 10. Now they go to bed later (at 8.30 and 9pm) I just don't get an evening if I have to read to them come bed time

MirandaWest Wed 27-Feb-13 22:51:13

I sometimes wonder about it (mine are 9 and 7) but overall think I'd miss it. They both still enjoy it and I generally do too. I also find they are more likely to talk to me about other things when I'm reading to them which it would be a pity to miss out on I think.

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:53:49

Mine still love it too - but for dd (age 10) if I read to her we are not done and dusted until half nine and i'm ready for bed myself an hour after that

whethergirl Wed 27-Feb-13 22:54:05

Would it suit to read to them at an earlier time? So not quite 'bed time' story.

I still read to ds age 8 and we both really enjoy it. However, I've always liked reading stories and can sympathise if you don't, as there are other things I don't enjoy doing as a parent. How long do you read for? Maybe just cut it down?

dd is 9 and reads to herself at night now. I still read to ds (6) when he manages to get upstairs early enough

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:55:49

I enjoy reading to them - just not that late. Perhaps I need to negotiate over an earlier reading slot. Or maybe do it just at weekends

ceeveebee Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:35

At that age I was reading to myself under the duvet with a torch grin!

hmc Wed 27-Feb-13 22:57:26

Yes both of mine do read to themselves, but they also enjoy me reading to them

Graceparkhill Wed 27-Feb-13 22:58:16

Probably about 10 or 11. I am unsporty and rubbish at board games but I enjoyed the reading and so did my boys so it wasn't a chore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now