Where do you put your baby at night?

(16 Posts)
Meringue33 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:30:12

Ah good thinking smile

MamaBlue4 Thu 28-Feb-13 16:45:37

At the minute my twins share a co-sleeper, which isn't safe for them, if I'm not there. When they're napping we try to keep them were we are, I don't want to keep running up and downstairs to deal with them. So they sleep on their own Doomoo seats (amazing!)

You can put him upstairs with the baby monitor if he's in a cot not a co-sleeper. Or you can try baby ear muffs.

Sounds crazy but my daughter was an extremely light sleeper. We were skeptical but they seemed to work (after she stopped fussing about the new accessory) we could stir a spoon round a cup and close cupboards normally!

Worth a try smile

Meringue33 Thu 28-Feb-13 12:11:13

Thanks guys. I will look into an Angelcare monitor. It's what Life says, tho he sleeps thro noise in the day I think it's better hes somewhere quiet after his "bedtime". When he was littler he slept through telly but now seems to wake up around 9pm if we have it on loud then get very fractious and hard to settle.

PogoBob Thu 28-Feb-13 00:03:01

8 week old DS sleeps downstairs until we go to bed.

He sleeps through lights, the tv, his 2 yo sister crashing around and hard of hearing DH who is about as quiet as a herd of elephants!

steppemum Thu 28-Feb-13 00:01:47

I would definitely stop tiptoeing round, just get on with it.

When mine were little we lived in a small flat with bedrooms off living room. We put baby in the moses basket in our bedroom and then went on with normal life (quite noisy at times)

But it was good practice as they always had to sleep just a doors width away from the living room!

lifesobeautiful Wed 27-Feb-13 23:54:25

Sounds like your little one's got a wonderful routine!

If I was you I'd get an Angelcare monitor, as previous posters have said, and put him upstairs. It's bliss getting your evening back and watching a movie - even if you do have to run upstairs to check occasionally! Also, though I agree it's good that babies get used to noise during daytime naps, I think evenings and nighttimes should be quiet and peaceful for them. When I fall asleep in front of the TV, it's never quite as restful a sleep as one taken in a quiet dark room overnight.

I put my baby in his own room at 8 weeks (which was very close anyway). I just found I couldn't sleep through his little noises, no matter how hard I tried. The Angelcare made me feel much more confident, and I always used to check him before we went to bed, and in the night if I went to the loo. Still always do now and he's 2.3 years.

greenbananas Wed 27-Feb-13 23:41:54

We co-sleep so 3 month old baby is in the family bed at night and stays downstairs with us during the evenings. He sleeps in a moses basket in the living room or is held in our arms. As others have said, it's amazing what a baby can sleep through if they feel secure enough (e.g. hoovering right under the moses basket). Also, I don't think it's a bad idea to 'train' babies to sleep through a bit of noise - not only so that you don't have to tiptoe around them, but also because they are more likely to sleep soundly through a bit of racket when they are older.

flower11 Wed 27-Feb-13 23:06:19

have you tried your baby with noise, its surprising what they will sleep through, and its not always easy to create noise free environment for day time naps, I think its helpful if they get used to noise. DD stays down with us in the evening from birth and still does at 18 weeks, she refuses to go to sleep much before 9pm and I wont put her upstairs after a friends experience of sids. we have the lights on, tv at normal to loud volume, phone ringing etc dd sleeps through it all when she finally goes to sleep.

honeytea Wed 27-Feb-13 20:57:27

We keep our DS with us in the evening and DP holds him whilst he sleeps, he doesn't wake even if we watch tv or listen to music or chat, he actually likes it noisy and I am happy with that, I don't want him to becoms sound sensitive smile

Jac1978 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:47:18

Another vote for the Angelcare monitor - it's brilliant for peace of mind! You've done brilliantly to get the sleeping pattern established so early so enjoy it! (Before teething starts!) wink

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Wed 27-Feb-13 20:21:02

DS2 is 9 weeks, has been going up to bed at 5-6.30 since 6 ish weeks as we found he was becoming overstimulated (and therefore screamingly overtired) downstairs.

It took 2 nights to get him used to being left / self sooth himself off to sleep but it really is a godsend as DS1 also in bed 6-6.30 so we get our evenings back.

I was nervous though, however we have angel care monitors with the breathing mat so I'm not too nervous.

Fairylea Wed 27-Feb-13 20:13:32

We put ds in his own room from about 6 weeks... with a very clear monitor, I could actually hear him breathing on it (bt pacifier one). I do understand the sids risk (ie they need to be close to you to hear you breathing as it helps them to regulate their breathing) but I was going mad for my own space etc and he was sleeping through more or less by then.

Are you sure he'd wake? Babies are good at sleeping through racket. We kept dd wish us in the evenings for about 4 months and in our room til 7.5 months

tiredteddy Wed 27-Feb-13 20:07:58

From what I understand guidelines say babies should sleep in the same room as parents until 6 months old. This is all sleeps. our 6 week old sleeps in the evening downstairs we watch tv and films and keep lights on. We then all go up when ready together.

We moved DD into her room at 7 weeks. I keep the monitor right by me, and yes, I do go up every 20 mins or so just to check she's breathing! I just figure at some point you have to trust that they will be ok.

Meringue33 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:02:30

Our 7 week old baby is not cluster feeding at present and is sleeping calmly from 7-7, with regular waking to feed every 3-4 hours. In the evening we have him in the lounge with us but end up tiptoeing around so as not to wake him and sound down low on tv. It would be nice to watch a movie or something, relax and not worry - but is it safe at this age to put him upstairs with baby monitor? Think I'd be running up to check his breathing every ten minutes sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now