Baby suddenly playing independently

(9 Posts)
Runningblue Wed 27-Feb-13 20:43:54

We still dont have this at 3.5 years... How lovely! Embrace it and enjoy

lifesobeautiful Tue 26-Feb-13 22:24:47

Read that book! How wonderful!

My DS is 2.3. He's fabulous, but is going through this stage of wanting me to play dinosaurs/gorillas/leopards with him all day long - which requires me to chase him around the house making roaring sounds or pretending to gobble him up. Very sweet to see such an imagination...but after 10 mins an hour all I want to do is sit down and chill - particularly as I'm 7 months pregnant! When he does play by himself, I'm very careful not to interrupt him, as I think it's so great for their development to learn to play by themselves. I used to feel guilty and try to get involved, but then i read something somewhere about how important it is to allow them to entertain themselves without hovering.

Enjoy your day tomorrow!

melonribena Tue 26-Feb-13 20:23:39

That sounds gorgeous belinda!
I sadly agree about the awful night though...

belindarose Tue 26-Feb-13 19:25:51

Mine too, OP. He's 7 months too. Unfortunately, I also have a very demanding 3yo!

It's lovely to see them play and really make choices about what they like. My DS is really communicating too, in all kinds of ways. I especially love a little thing he does when he's playing near me and wants a cuddle. He turns and reaches, almost standing up, while making a cute cooing sound.

Makes up for the awful nights...

melonribena Tue 26-Feb-13 19:21:22

Thank you! I'm going to try and read a few pages of a book I got for Christmas tomorrow!

How old is your little one/s Life?

lifesobeautiful Tue 26-Feb-13 18:44:44

I am JEALOUS. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Enjoy!! It's brilliant he can entertain himself! Plus if he goes through a stage of not playing on his own, you'll wish you'd put your feet up when you could! He sounds lovely.

usualsuspect Tue 26-Feb-13 15:45:31

Put your feet up, and enjoy.

No need to feel guilty.

FancyPuffin Tue 26-Feb-13 15:40:49

How lovely smile

Enjoy it! <stern>

Feet up <sterner>

melonribena Tue 26-Feb-13 15:29:24

Hi everyone
After 6 months of breastfeeding, cuddling, pacifying and entertaining my gorgeous ds he can now at the grand old age of 7mths play independently on his play mat for ages! Up to an hour and many times in a day.

I read to him and play with him throughout the day and we go out a lot but I feel strangely guilty for letting him play alone for quite a while while I do chores or just put my feet up.

Am I being totally strange? Should I engage him more in organised activities?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now