Ewan the sheep?

(14 Posts)
Purplecatti Wed 24-Jul-13 19:34:02

Bit of an update. I bought the sheep. Dd LOVED it. It was the first toy she's ever been interested in. However, it has nil sleep aiding. If dd is trying to go to sleep she needs quiet or she goes ballistic. If I put ewan on in the middle of the night her screams escalate to something frightening.
She likes him when she's awake and he does calm her when grumbly though

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 23-Jul-13 09:45:47

I have Ewan for my 3 mo but he's been in use since birth. TBH at 4 mo I'd see if white noise settles him first, just stick the hair dryer on. If that works then yes, I'd get Ewan.

If it helps, I was torn between Ewan and a tranquil turtle and I think the turtle would have been my first choice at that age.

Portland573 Tue 23-Jul-13 09:33:39

Ewan is great, our little one has had one since coming home and still loves him now.

Hint for people having the 1 minute cutout - probably got him set to "demo" mode which he's set as default so setting him rocking in the shops doesn't wear the batteries out - there's a dip switch on his control box that changes to "full 20 mins" mode, along with one for loud/quiet and light on/off.

Something I thought I'd bring up on the Ewan threads to help people is a link that has been conspicuously absent from the manufacturer's site for a long time - the very talented lady that plays the harp on his front right foot as it were.

http://www.bethanmyfanwy.com/

As far as I'm aware, she doesn't get any royalties from the makers of Ewan, and her playing is wonderful. If you like what you've heard, give her a run for either a physical CD or a download from her site or iTunes - most of the money she makes ploughs back into various charities, and she does an awful lot of work playing for patients in hospital for no fee.

Cheers

knitterati Wed 27-Feb-13 20:36:15

Yep - our Ewan (bought summer 2012) plays for 20mins. I introduced Ewan to DD at 6months and it really helps settle her.

smellysocksandchickenpox Wed 27-Feb-13 17:04:46

really?

PeazlyPops Wed 27-Feb-13 13:27:24

Sounds like you have a faulty one smellysocks - ours plays for 20mins.

smellysocksandchickenpox Wed 27-Feb-13 11:17:20

also the timer is really short so you have to sit there pressing it every min or so

used the music on our BT150 with DC1, that was good

smellysocksandchickenpox Wed 27-Feb-13 11:13:03

doesn't work for us, the white noise isnt loud enough, babysooth cds work (about £4) as do the hair dryer or hoover. there's pics of it being used on push chairs but theres no way you would hear it out and about with background noise!

v diappointed!

unfortunately our 4 yo is in love with ewan (probably because it's "the baby's so she wants it hmm) so can't sell it!

apparently there's a flaw in the older batches so we paid full price for a new one - boo!

scratchandsniff Wed 27-Feb-13 11:07:00

We got a Ewan when DS was about 4 weeks and used it a lot. We phased it out at about 10 weeks for night time sleep, but I still use it in the day for naps. As he naps in the cot I like to differentiate between day and night time. If he really won't settle at night or the neighbours are being noisy we will use it. At other times we have tuned an analog radio into white noise and put that on low volume in his room.

MiaowTheCat Wed 27-Feb-13 10:43:36

I introduced some other sleepy, lighty, annoying (for us) music thing about 3-4 months - it's become such a strong sleep association for her that it only takes 5 minutes of the infernal Mozart loop for her to be out for the count 99% of nights.

My DS is 10 weeks and we bought Euan this week. Seems to have a calming effect and is going well so far

PeazlyPops Wed 27-Feb-13 07:45:59

I introduced ewan at 4 months, it worked very well.

Loislane78 Wed 27-Feb-13 07:40:26

I got one around 8 wks but I think it would work equally well at 4 months. I love Ewan smile. Not guaranteed for sleeping through the night but defo helps us!

Purplecatti Tue 26-Feb-13 10:03:50

I was wondering whether it would be worth getting one for my 4 month old rubbish sleeper. Most of the rave reviews are from people who introduced
them to newborns.
Has anyone introduced one to a baby who's not a newborn? How did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now