Getting my nearly 2 year old to brush her teeth

(7 Posts)
Amber76 Sun 24-Feb-13 20:45:56

Hi

My toddler used to mess with the brush and sort of act like she was brushing her teeth but now she won't open her mouth when the toothbrush is anywhere near her. Singing songs or distracting her doesn't seem to help. She usually copies everything I do but she really doesn't want to brush her teeth. Any tips?

Thanks!

tuttavia Sun 24-Feb-13 20:51:52

Mine will let me brush his teeth if he is brushing his toy hippo's teeth at the same time (with a proper toothbrush and real toothpaste).

Also, he got a bit better at it when he saw his favourite cousin having his teeth brushed.

bigbuttons Sun 24-Feb-13 20:54:02

I used to have to pin mine down in a half nelson.

HappyAsASandboy Sun 24-Feb-13 20:57:14

I bought flashing toothbrushes yesterday and they're a hit!

DS use to eat the toothpaste and then rub his tongue with the brush. With the flashing one, he brushes his teeth.

I have no idea why it changed his brushing technique, but for now, flashing toothbrushes are the thing.

I got them in tesco.

fairylightsinthesnow Sun 24-Feb-13 21:01:10

sometimes takes both of us and a sort of rugby tackle / wrestling manouvere I'm afraid smile

peacefuleasyfeeling Sun 24-Feb-13 21:05:20

DD (3 in a few months) has never really minded, but what really got her into brushing was
a) my mum explaining how she has to do a big "Aaahh!" for brushing the chewing surfaces and a big "Iiiihh!" (a kind of mental grinning) for brushing the fronts / exteriors. She now does this without fail. My theory is that it works because it sort of breaks up the brushing into two managable chunks; aaahh at the top, followed by the bottom, iiihhh at the top followed by the bottom.
b) picking a toy to "supervise" her brushing; I'll say "So, who's going to watch you brush this morning?" She'll think hard for a moment and say "...umm... Buzz Lightyear!" before propping up said toy on the shelf and brushing under his vigilant gaze.
Good luck!

geewaf Sun 24-Feb-13 21:07:05

We had similar issues but had great success with this little video on you tube. We watched it numerous times over a period of a couple of weeks and my DD loved it. Since then since we have had no issues. In fact my DD seems to enjoy getting her teeth cleaned as long as I tell her a good story during it. Good luck - I'm sure it will pass soon.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=btGqUT2HEKU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now