6 yr old playing COD

(9 Posts)
Notmyidea Mon 25-Feb-13 13:41:32

primary isn't my area but I have known very young, (ks1) children flagged up for having detailed knowledge of violent games/tv etc, especially if accompanied by other issues.

nobutts Mon 25-Feb-13 08:58:41

Thanks for the replies. I'm a teacher and don't think it would warrant cup concerns but I would actually hope the school had something to say. D's has had comments from other parents about the films he's seen..not nasty just shocked and I'm sad he's had to feel like that and that due to ex he is being judged in a certain way. I am going to talk to ex about it if only to have said it iykwim. He will ignore but at least I'm not simply keeping quiet. I will user to discuss internet safety too as D's has that pass code for his computer and tablet..no filters.

BlahBlahBlahhh Mon 25-Feb-13 08:27:36

Could that really start child protection concerns ? If that is the case then half my sons primary school would be under suspicion.

Notmyidea Mon 25-Feb-13 07:58:04

the 18 rated game.

BlahBlahBlahhh Mon 25-Feb-13 07:34:30

Just out of interest Notmyidea, when you say it's a child protection issue, what aspect do you mean...playing an 18 cert game or dad telling son to keep secrets from mum ?

Notmyidea Sun 24-Feb-13 23:20:11

it's been a few years since I last worked in a primary school, but in my experience, if your ds mentioned it to a teacher it would be reported as a child protection concern. If your ex can't be reasoned with and you need to distance ds from him I think you could expect to be taken seriously in court. COD is vile.

nobutts Sun 24-Feb-13 22:26:01

I think you have a very valid point.and you're right, he does take pleasure from it. One of the issues attached and not meaning to drip feed was that Ds said that daddy had said not to tell us and that they jars"secrets" and ds clearly felt guilty and I'm v pleased he didn't keep the secret. perhaps I should focus on this point and not the content etc of the game when talking to ex.

BlahBlahBlahhh Sun 24-Feb-13 21:56:20

Your Ex obviously takes some kind of twisted pleasure pleasure from your reaction by the Sound of it. I would not rise to it, don't even say anything about it to him. Continue to be a responsible parent yourself. If your 6 year old brings up details of the game or changes his behaviour due to it, explain that it is a game and that in real life it is not right to act with hostility to others. It sounds like your ex will not be willing to play ball and stop him playing/watching game so I think is about damage limitation. Hope this helps.

nobutts Sun 24-Feb-13 20:17:15

Sorry x post from aibu to get further opinions.
Ex h insists on allowing D's to watch 12a films regardless of content and though I've discussed it with him he doesn't listen and seems to relish my reaction when I hear what the latest is. Actually I'm open minded and always judge films by reading up the BBC info or viewing myself. Also I don't think D's will copy stuff he sees or have nightmares necessarily but think adult themes are just that; they can confuse children and upset them even if it seems normal..
Latest inevitably is that ex has bought him COD but much worse asked him to keep it a secret. Tell me how do I reason and discuss this with someone unreasonable wwyd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now