is your 6 year old difficult at the moment?

(23 Posts)
TreadOnTheCracks Tue 26-Feb-13 22:06:09

I did a ed pysch course at work (am a TA ) and apparently they have major brain developments at 5 and 7 - could it be that ? clutches at straws

Concerned about ther 'testosterone' explanation .... doesn't help me with DD ... it must be my rubbish parenting, then. sad

TreadOnTheCracks Tue 26-Feb-13 20:56:13

missy - your DS will be fine, ours have mostly been like this for a while. Hide this thread grin

Missymoomum Tue 26-Feb-13 06:06:14

Oh great, you've just all depressed me having reading this. DS is 6.1 and lovely at the moment, but now i'm filled with dread waiting for him to become a nightmare!!

LiegeAndLief Mon 25-Feb-13 23:20:02

Oh god yes mine too! I struggle with him a lot at the moment, he can be so unacceptably rude and I seem to spend a lot of time telling him off or punishing him for being truly vile despite trying hard to be calm and positive. He as started asking me a lot lately if I like him sad and i think we have got into a horrible viciou circle.

His 3 yo sister is an absolute dream in comparison, which makes it a lot worse!

Bakingtins Mon 25-Feb-13 13:50:59

I'm so glad you posted this. My lovely 6.4 yr old has been taken in the night and replaced with a sulky, whiny, entitled teenager. He can't play nicely with his brother, he complains about everything, he whines, he collapses dramatically into tears if the tiniest thing goes wrong. It's exhausting.

Oh, is this all it is? A testosterone surge? I did wonder. My wonderful, helpful, kind 6 yr old has turned into the child from hell over the last 2 weeks, shouting, arguing, screaming, throwing things, sulking, back-chatting and general unpleasantness. I hope it's over soon and my son comes back. it's exhausting, it really is.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 24-Feb-13 21:26:03

Doody. I agree and I do try. I find myself trying to avoid upsetting him to avoid tantrums but have an uncomfortable feeling that pandering to it is not helping iyswim.

I also find it very hard to keep calm when he is hitting DD (8) although she will usually have wound him up first. I divide them up wherever possible. Wearing though isn't it.

ceebeegeebies Sun 24-Feb-13 21:18:08

God yes, mine too! He will be 7 in July and is prone to sulking, tantrumming and slamming doors if he doesn't get his own way provoked - I naively didn't expect that until his teen years wink He also seems to be getting more aggressive towards DS2 so I wonder is this is due to a surge in testosterone aswell hmm

And, yes to the sense of entitlement shock When we say no to him, he moans about how he never gets anything blah blah when in fact he probably gets too much as I like to treat him and his brother.

However, when he is not in a mood, he is lovely - very cuddly and can be very helpful if he wants to be.

Doodyanna Sun 24-Feb-13 21:12:00

The best advice i've had is to keep them close and keep loving them even when they're vile, its not easy and it takes lots of practice. Sometimes its hormones and sometimes there's a real issue behind their behaviour that comes out eventually, my DC are 8 & 12 so both testing their limits etc in different ways, our kids are sent to try us (a lot!)

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 24-Feb-13 20:57:25

My DS is still throwing tantrums at 6.2.

Marking place for empathy and possible bright ideas...

ReluctantBeing Sun 24-Feb-13 20:45:21

Yes my ds is! I'm glad it isn't just me.

fattybum Sun 24-Feb-13 20:44:33

So it might not be my shit parenting? That's a relief!

HorribleMother Sun 24-Feb-13 20:41:23

6 is the worst age, ime. Eldest now 13 so am braced for the delights of 13+, but 6 still the worst so far with every child.

peanutMD Sun 24-Feb-13 20:38:10

I feel for you!

My DS, also 6.8 funnily enough, seems to have turned into a stroppy 14yo constantly back chatting, shouting and stomping around.

I had put it down to change as I'm 38 Weeks pregnant so assumed he was reacting to that but the hormone thing is interesting to note.

Madcaplady Sun 24-Feb-13 20:29:06

OMG yes! My DS is 6.3 & has been awful for the last couple of weeks! Sulky, argumentative, miserable, very tearful etc. proper Kevin stuff smile sad

I have heard that they have hormone surges approx every 3 years until puberty (then it lasts for about a decade grin ) so I do wonder if it might be that combined with a growth spurt - he's eating me out of house & home plus he's sleeping for England.

Any hints or tips of how to help him - and me - would be amazing!

sleepyhead Sun 24-Feb-13 20:27:53

Yep, ds (6.3) is much cheekier than he was a few months ago. Dn however is nearly 7 and sil reckons is coming out the other side - so there is hope!

newbiefrugalgal Sun 24-Feb-13 20:25:04

Yep same here!
Had the same entitlement lack of appreciation of family and everything that is done for him.
Glad we will be back to school but we've had an exhausting holiday so its going to be a loooooong week!

fattybum Sun 24-Feb-13 20:22:22

It makes me so sad! Feel like too much of half term has been spent lecturing/punishing him. Just feels like I'm getting it all wrong.

olivo Sun 24-Feb-13 20:14:50

Yes, my DD is 6.5 and very hard work, especially when she is tired. She can be very rude at times, answering back, and flies off the handle very quickly. We have had to be very strict with her recently.

lucjam Sun 24-Feb-13 20:05:26

Yes! My ds1 is also 6.8 (7 in July) and he recently has been rather challenging. Might be a testosterone surge? I also have a DD who is 10. She is a nightmare, hormone city. No real advice but I feel your pain!

fattybum Sun 24-Feb-13 20:00:28

Bump

fattybum Sun 24-Feb-13 16:18:35

Mine is. Ds1 is 6.8 and seems to be going through a bad stage. Argumentative, back chatting, bad attitude etc.

Moaning that things are "boring" or "i don't care". He's turned into Kevin the teenager.

I'm not well at the moment so after making breakfast, I sat down to rest. Ds1 asked for water, I said you'll have to get it yourself, "can't you do something for once" he said. I got very angry about this and explained all the things I do for him. He seems to have a horrible sense of entitlement and I don't know how to change it.

Finding I'm doing a lot of ranting at the moment.

Any tips on encouraging gratitude, or at least sympathy!

Tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now