Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

how do you cut 2yr olds hair?

(11 Posts)
PolterGoose Sun 10-Feb-13 09:50:21

My dm was a hairdresser, her top tip is to cut it in the bath.

raisah Sun 10-Feb-13 06:10:12

My DS has ASD so cutting his hair is challenging. I cut it while he is asleep. I wait until he is 30-40 mins into his sleep & then snip away. It usually takes 30 mins and I do it over 2 days depending on which side he sleeps on. Don't force him as you will make him even more scared.

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 09-Feb-13 17:29:48

I take my two boys to the barbers. Never had any issues with them not sitting still. The eldest has set a good example to the youngest and it's never a problem. I'd be crap at cutting their hair!

HeartShapedSaw Sat 09-Feb-13 13:00:44

I just took him to the barbers and he was an absolute angel! Who knew? Lol.

HeartShapedSaw Sat 09-Feb-13 12:59:39

I just took him to the barbers and he was an absolute angel! Who knew? Lol.

iliketea Sat 09-Feb-13 09:00:24

At hairdressers, on my knee with ipod (downloaded some nursery rhyme videos) and she keeps still.

At nursery, if the hairdresser comes, they use a dvd to get cuttee to sit still.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 09-Feb-13 08:56:17

go to the barbers? When they are that age they let me sit with ds on my lap while they cut his hair

HeartShapedSaw Sat 09-Feb-13 08:56:14

Haha mine has a beatles style cut..

I tried the tv thing, he just swishes his head into the blade of the scissors when he realises what im doing..

pansyflimflam Sat 09-Feb-13 08:53:22

My two year old has a haircut like he-man from the 80's. He has long blond hair but a 'fringe'. I cut it during a nap..... his not mine obviously.

OohMrDarcy Sat 09-Feb-13 08:49:21

put favourite program or film on, sit him in front of you with teddy and snip away grin

that's what I did when mine were smaller. now we go to childrens hairdresser with fun seats and DVD players!

HeartShapedSaw Sat 09-Feb-13 08:42:10

DS is 2.7, he will not let me cut his hair at all. I have once managed to give him a little trim but I had to chase him round the house and I was terrified I would hurt him with the scissors because he was thrashing around!

His hair is a mess, its kind of wavy so he looks dishevelled all the time and unkempt.. I know its not that much of a big deal that he looks messy but surely other people can cut their child's hair?

I dont want to pin him down and force him because that seems pretty cruel for something so superficial.

I was cutting my dad's hair with clippers and DS seemed willing to let me do his, but as soon as they touched his head he freaked out..

Any tips? Should I just force him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now