unborn childs father rights

(18 Posts)
ilovesprouts Sun 03-Feb-13 10:38:19

can anyone tell me if a dad has anyrights to his unborn child ,or does he need to wait till babys born.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 03-Feb-13 10:46:49

What "rights" could he have/enforce? confused

CoffeeandDunkingBiscuits Sun 03-Feb-13 10:52:15

Do you mean attending scans, time or date of induction, c section?

TepidCoffee Sun 03-Feb-13 10:53:10

No rights.

Clargo55 Sun 03-Feb-13 10:54:38

No rights. No rights when born unless married to the mother or on the birth certificate.

ilovesprouts Sun 03-Feb-13 11:05:17

hes a pal of min on fb shes 16 hes 23 shes 16 weeks pg and shes just cut him out of her life full stop ,he wants to go to all her appointments etc.tbh its all a bit much seeing it on fb .

MariusEarlobe Sun 03-Feb-13 11:14:38

I think he would have to wait for baby to be born, then if she does not put him on birth cert he would have to go to court for a dna test and PR I think,

Clargo55 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:21:11

Yes Marius is correct. Parental Rights

Snorbs Sun 03-Feb-13 11:28:29

Prior to birth the father has no legal standing for insisting on attending appointments etc.

A DNA test would only be necessary if the mother was denying that he was the father.

A court would almost certainly grant a father a parental responsibility order unless there are overwhelmingly good reasons not to. A court would similarly almost certainly grant a contact order.

Branleuse Sun 03-Feb-13 11:35:48

no he doesnt have an legal rights, and he shouldnt be fucking 16 year olds

Branleuse Sun 03-Feb-13 13:05:48

what a thing to put a 16 year old through. Its bad enough he got her pregnant. If she wants to cut contact now, I really hope he isnt going to hassle and harrass her

YulaBaker Sun 03-Feb-13 13:23:27

Really Branleuse?

Could she not be one of these girls that seduces and sleeps with guys solely to get a 'baybee'?

She probably isn't, but unfair to blame the guy without knowing facts.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 03-Feb-13 13:32:15

Branleuse that's a horrible thing to say.

The guy in question is trying to get to see scans of his unborn child, why does that count as hassling?

Branleuse Sun 03-Feb-13 13:40:11

because hes 23 and shes 16 and doesnt want any more contact with him. Why was he having unprotected sex with a 16 year old, quite probably a 15 year old?

maybe she has woken up to the fact that he is a sleaze and doesnt want him in her life.

If she has made that decision to try and cut contact, I think he should respect it and be more careful with who he impregnates next time.

Branleuse Sun 03-Feb-13 13:44:50
HesterBurnitall Sun 03-Feb-13 13:48:19

If he's just a FB pal, how well do you know him, OP? There cold be a reason she's cut contact and if so, assisting him could be a reckless thing to do.

Besides that, if he wants to know where he stands, finding out is quite straightforward.

waterrat Sun 03-Feb-13 13:57:54

The scan is a medical appointment for the MOTHER - of course nobody can attend that appointment without her permission. He will have responsibilities (not rights) once the baby is born - but at the moment it is an issue of another person's body and no, he has absolutely no right to be in an appointment in which intimate parts of her body are uncovered and very intimate medical questions discussed.

Birth and labour are extremely linked to stress - ie. the woman needs complete trust in the process and to feel completely relaxed - he needs to back off, he has no right to be part of this process - and the more polite/ gentle he behaves now, the better his relationship will be after the birth - once his child is here.

waterrat Sun 03-Feb-13 13:58:59

and as others say - he is an adult and can find out very easily from the internet/ a lawyer what his 'rights' are - so I would leave him to it if I was you. It's deeply inappropriate that he is criticising a young woman on facebook in the first place, whatever the circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now