Entertaining baby

(5 Posts)
delilah88 Tue 29-Jan-13 17:30:00

I am on maternity leave looking after my 3.5 month old and wondering how much time to spend entertaining her. I read to her and sing/dance and also cuddle her, and obviously breastfeeding, but sometimes I also want to do things on my computer or read. I feel guilty holding her while I'm on the computer -- what if the screen isn't good for her? -- but I need to do my things too. How do other people balance this?
Thanks!

delilah88 Tue 29-Jan-13 18:55:23

bump

carrietwick Tue 29-Jan-13 21:16:34

Hi, I have a daughter just turned 4 months today and I certainly need a break during the day - although I think she has so much entertainment that she doesn't really like to be held anymore!

I put her on her playmat, with a Lamaze mirror next to her which she loves staring at! If I need to make an important call then I stick on cebeebies which keeps her entertained for half an hour. A playnest to sit in (not so popular), a jumperoo and a bumbo seat. If she's overstimulated then just laying in her cot watching her mobile keeps her happy.

She sits in a bouncy chair cuddling her teddy in the kitchen with me when I need to wash up / make up bottles etc.

That said I still find it a long day and like to get out and go to childrens centre to meet other mums at baby groups, sing and sign classes and our local library does 'bounce n rhyme'.

Hope that helps a bit :-)

Littlecherublegs Sun 03-Feb-13 22:02:41

Hi, I could have almost written that OP myself!

And also agree with alot with what carrietwick says.

I have a 4 month old DS and some days I find it hard to 'entertain' him (was particularly bad when we were snowed in recently for 4 days!!).

In a typical day I will read to him (eg. 'Thats Not My... books'), sing to him (eg. 'Wheels on the Bus'), play with him with one or two of his toys (eg. chime ball, Lamaze Freddie Firefly), let him spend some time in his 'donut' and/or playmat and/or bouncy chair so he can play by himself, and take him out for at least one walk so we both get some fresh air.

I also go to Playgroup 3 times a week and usually meet up with a friend or relative once a week so we both get to see someone different!

When I need to do some housework like washing up or cooking, I will sit him in either his Snug or his pushchair and he will happily watch me. I often talk through what I am doing (I think he just likes to hear my voice -probably doesnt really matter what you say!!).

I sometimes need to check my e-mails (or come onto Mumsnet!!) and will have him on my lap so he can watch what I am doing. Im sure looking at a screen for a short period of time will do him no harm whatsoever - in fact, Im sure he'll be using his own laptop within the next few years!!

I dont let him watch much TV but occassionally I will have it on and he watches it; again I dont see any harm in this. I only do it every so often (maybe 3 times a week for 30 mins or so).

The rest of the time is spent feeding, changing, bathing, dressing, cuddling, and (occassionally) sleeping!! smile

Littlecherublegs Mon 04-Feb-13 13:22:31

Should have also said, I often feel guilty for having some 'me' time but think I would go insane if I didnt!! And an insane mum has to be worse than a mum who takes half an hour out to read her book whilst the bub is entertaining himself on his playmat!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now