Can anyone tell me about Jumperoo's?

(32 Posts)

I'm thinking of getting DS a Jumperoo...he is nearly 16 weeks. I have had mixed information about using them from when they can hold their head straight (which he can) to using them when they can sit up (which obviously he can't do)...can anyone advise? Does anyone have any recommendations of certain ones?

MamaBear17 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:53:54

My dd loved hers, but we only used it in short 15 minute bursts. We put a cushion underneath her feet so that she used flat feet and not tippie toes. DD crawled at 5 1/2 months, cruised around the furniture at 7 months and walked at 11 1/2 months so I can honestly say it didnt affect her gross motor skill development. However, my cousin's daughter spent a lot more time in hers than my dd did and wouldnt put her feet flat on the floor for a while when cruising around the furniture. She still walked at 13 months though, so I do not think it was necessarily the jumperoo.

BertieBotts Wed 30-Jan-13 18:39:30

The tiptoes thing isn't as much an issue as it was for old style baby walkers. We put yellow pages under ours for DS to stand on smile

Again it git used from 4 months to a year and was great fun to watch DS in it!

BrianButterfield Wed 30-Jan-13 18:35:25

We used ours from about 16 weeks (ds had strong neck muscles and was sitting up) until 1 year+, and that was only because he got too tall for it. We've lent it to friends and fully expect to get it back to use for another, hopefully! It was brilliant for that specific period when they can't entertain themselves but you can't really leave them alone because they do manage to get hold of stuff.

SquidgersMummy Wed 30-Jan-13 18:31:44

Also don't worry re a second hand one - you can completely take the fisher price one apart to clean. Seat washes well too.

SquidgersMummy Wed 30-Jan-13 18:28:39

We've borrowed one - do ask around - its one of those things a lot of people buy and want to keep for baby no. 2 but that they don't have storage space for. Again, my dd likes it for 10 mins max but its handy! Often put her in just before we go out or when we first get in - gives me time to sort pram, shopping etc out - when trying to get something in oven or when bursting for loo. I know she hasn't wriggled off anywhere. X

silverangel Wed 30-Jan-13 16:37:00

Absolute lifesaver for me but I had one twin who loved it and one who hated it so maybe try your DC out in one first?!

aerynsun Wed 30-Jan-13 13:31:05

Buy one! We got a 2nd hand one and for me it was a total sanity saver. DD loved it and as other posters have said, it gives you time to make a cup of tea etc unhindered. We used it from 4 to 10 months. We put a large book underneath so DD could put her feet flat.

I also sold it for more than I paid for it, so second hand ones keep their value really well.

LonelyLinda Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:32

My DS adored it, there are three different height levels so you can adjust it, I was mindful that my son needed to be able to have flat feet when using it so that he didn't learn to stand on tiptoes.

It was amazing, if I was just boiling the kettle or making the tea it was really helpful to put him in for a short while and he did love every minute.

Also, my son had quite severe consipation when a baby and the bouncing effect did seem to help sometime, and thankfully all of the fabric parts can come apart and are machine washable.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

As long as you make sure they can touch the floor/sturdy flat item with flat feet then tiptoes shouldn't be an issue. Certainly wasn't for DD.

Ours was the single best thing we EVER bought. DD adored it, and would scream in a rage when we took her out.

It saved my sanity on more than one occasion.

sharond101 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:27:01

My DS loves his rainforest fisher price jumperoo. He got his at 4months and put a box under it for his feet to jump on. He is now 8mo and it still is getting lots of use and he has so much fun in it. Try Gumtree.

Mine is fantastic. I put cushions underneath it for DD.
I got the Kiddicare version of it. She loves it smile

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 28-Jan-13 21:01:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sillymillyb Mon 28-Jan-13 20:54:44

saved my sanity - got one half price second hand and it was worth its weight in gold!

That's all lots of help...thank you

BouncyPenguin Mon 28-Jan-13 19:27:03

Got a Blossom Hill Activity Centre off ebay for a tenner. Saw it is mothercare for £70! Similar to jumperoo but not as big/bulky etc.Brilliant for keeping DS2 busy and safe whilst doing other stuff. Also know I can leave him in it without DS2 stepping on his head (as when under play gym). He loves it. Started using it at 4 months when he had full head control. NotInMyDay right - sanity preserver. Worth getting but try second hand not worth £90.

gillian88 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:20:08

Forgot to say- its the fisherprice one i have! Oh- and make sure you have the space because they r huge!!

gillian88 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:19:00

Love our jumperoo!! Has definately been the 'best buy' in our household. They are expensive but we used it for our first and our second is now in it and they really do last so if there's ever a 3 or 4 they will be in it too!! They are quite expensive but I'm sure you could pick one up second hand for 30/40- I regularly see then on gumtree!

NotInMyDay Mon 28-Jan-13 19:11:53

I think they are great when used for short periods of time i.e. to let you get the dinner on or have a quick shower or iron a skirt etc.

I second not using them for long periods of time but I think they can help preserve sanity.

Jayne266 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:10:43

My son loves his I tried him at 5 months and just looked at the colours he's now 6.5 months and he loves it he bounces and I have attached extra toys an teethers on it. I just can't put him in straight after a bottle he gets sick. But I may have not got one if I had to pay full price my friend offered me hers 2nd hand.

BikeRunSki Mon 28-Jan-13 19:10:13

We were lucky enough to borrow one. DD enjoyed it occassionally from about 5-9 months. They are absolutely huge though!

tuttavia Mon 28-Jan-13 19:08:47

Mine loved it for about three weeks. He did REALLY love it for those three weeks, but only for about 20 minutes at a time, and it's big and ugly and gets in the way, and I wouldn't do it again.

PoppyWearer Mon 28-Jan-13 19:08:23

Excellent. We used ours for two DCs then sold it for £40 on local Facebook group.

McNo Mon 28-Jan-13 19:07:34

My DD loved hers. She used until she was a year old. Best buy we made grin

JellyMould Mon 28-Jan-13 19:05:00

I've got one from eBay. I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now