Overweight 2 year old, anyone been here too or have any advice?

(9 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 22-Jan-13 14:01:37

I am getting really worried about my dd (24 months). Weight wise she was born small 25th percentile but rapidly shot up to the 90th (exclusively bf for 6 months).

She is still huge over 13kgs and not particularly tall for her age. Food rules her life we try and keep her away from sweet treats but she does have some. She eats loads and I am not really sure what to do about it.

I saw some friends at the weekend and when I pick up their kids I am shocked by how light they are. Anyone else been in this situation?

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 22-Jan-13 19:36:49

Anyone?

5madthings Tue 22-Jan-13 19:40:39

How big are you and dad?

As long as what she eats is healthy and not massive portions I would try not to worry too much.

She is still growing a lot and becoming more active.

Has the HV expressed any concern? Its quite normal for toddlers to have chunky phases and then shoot up.

Maybe try and get her more active UE swimming, soft play, lots of walking?

Mine were chunky toddlers and are now skinny as a take.

SminkoPinko Tue 22-Jan-13 19:50:56

13kgs isn't that big for a 2 year old- 75th centile. Agree with 5madthings-make sure you give her lots of lovely healthy food and do plenty of exercise with her.

loveroflife Tue 22-Jan-13 20:50:06

Can you list her daily diet?

You can control the food portions - she's 2, she can't go to the shops and buy it food! Food shouldn't rule her life, give her a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and healty snacks in between. You're in total control of this.

I'd go to the doctors and health visitor and get them to do you a food plan, maybe post in the food section of here....more traffic.

holidaysdistantmemory Tue 22-Jan-13 20:55:45

Mine were both 10 pounders, always on 99th çentile, all you can do is limit the treats, make sure they do lots of activity and NEVER let on your anxieties to her. My lovely bil called my ds 'jabba' and 'fat boy'..he is now 4 and tall and skinny (and bil then had a chubby little ds himself..!)

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Tue 22-Jan-13 21:31:32

Thanks for the posts I really appreciate them.

Her dad is skinny, I used to be quite slim but then had her (bmi is 24 so I am a big on the big side).

I know I control her food intake. The main issue I have is parties, there have been a number of these since Sept and there are always treats available for the kids and dd always heads straight for the cake. Yes I try and limit it but she will eat off other kids plates too.
When I said food rules her life I don't just mean sweet, fatty stuff she will scream I want my dinner. Tonight it was more egg white (she doesn't like the yellow bit).

I will try and relax about it.

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 21:17:02

Make sure she has a good hearty breakfast such as porridge oats with some fruit and milk, and a couple of slices of toast if she wants.

I've always been a big fan of a good breakfast as it's the most important meal of the day.

Is she constantly hungry regardless of how much she eats? By that I mean, will she still be looking for something to eat within 15 - 20mins after finishing a meal?

PackItInNow Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:54

Meant to ask if she literally screams about wanting something to eat and breaks down in floods of tears/gets angry with you if you refuse?

WRT the first question, does she look for more food within 1/2hr of having a large meal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now