Teachers pls help !! Teaching 13yo pupils about parenting

(19 Posts)
Ghostie Tue 22-Jan-13 09:33:03

If they ask be honest, but humerous, what you just said would be fine...it's not a fun outting, but I was lucky and it was quick and suggest they watch one born every minute if they are really curious about people's experience of childbirth and pregnancy, but be clear you are here to talk about babies once they are here. Their teacher will have prepared them and laided the ground work though.

Good luck!

AlphaAndEcho Tue 22-Jan-13 00:34:00

Thank you everyone this has been very helpful !! It's been moved until Friday now so I have a little bit more time to prepare !!

The inappropriate stuff I'm think about is if they ask me about pregnancy or even worse child birth I don't want to traumatise them !!! grin

But don't want them to think it's a doddle either I was only 2 hours !! grin

We did a great activity in our NCT class where we were given a 24 hour chart to fill in of what a baby would do/need. We were then shown a real 24 chart. You could start with brainstorming the basic activities and then ask them to come up with how often, how long etc in 24 hours, in small groups. You can then show them a "what happened yesterday" 24 hour chart for you and your baby, talk them through it and they can see how this compares to their expectations. Obviously you can make the real one up to a certain extent if you want with things like additional poo explosions.

Do you have any photos of yourself pregnant? That might be a good prop to take.

If you are concerned about inappropriate answers just refer the question on to the teacher.

Ghostie Mon 21-Jan-13 23:27:13

Hey I'm I secondary teacher and I agree with rrreow start with what they think they know get them to brainstorm then share. Or focus them a bit more and ask them to list what they think are the best things and worst things. Then get them maybe in groups to think of one question they'd like to ask, and you can answer them. I'd also maybe do a slide show of the realities, a day in the life, maybe with pictures if you want to make it more personal and engaging, e.g cup of tea, nappy change, feed, sleep, cry, nappy change, play...so they can see the lovely bits, but also the tiring, boring and repetitive bits. Just a couple of ideas - hope it helps! By the way some will def be sexually active, the majority not. It really depends on the school and intake though.

rrreow Mon 21-Jan-13 16:39:30

How about getting them involved from the start by asking them what THEY think is involved (and writing their suggestions on the blackboard (do classrooms still have blackboards?) or the overhead projector), as a way to break the ice?

lljkk Mon 21-Jan-13 08:49:38

Tell them how your life has changed, the things you can't do the things you now have to do. The plans you've had to put on hold, etc.

cory Mon 21-Jan-13 08:30:50

We actually had regular classes on child development at this age (Scandinavia). They were interesting and some of it has stayed with me. Partly about hands-on things like nappy changing and safety, but also about how tiny children see the world, what they can understand and what they can't understand. Perhaps an element of that.

That is brilliant Tinkerbell, I just woke up DH lol.

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 01:39:33

Thank you * confused

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 01:39:14

Oh that worked that you grin

Haha that did make me laugh !! Especially the part about trying to leave the house I find that the most stressful part of my day since having a second dc !! grin

I always find humour useful in teaching Alpha! grin.

TINKERBELLE33 Mon 21-Jan-13 01:31:54
NatashaBee Mon 21-Jan-13 01:29:17

Well in that case I guess you really need to instruct them on how to look after their virtual babies. I would start by putting together a baby's. daily routine on the board - get them to call out all the things you'd need to do each day, then you can talk through each of them in detail and give demonstrations.

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 01:18:37

It's part of a sexual health class they are getting a virtual baby and she wants me to talk to them before they get them . I'm nt sure why they do it at 13 tbh ?

Elderflowergranita Mon 21-Jan-13 01:16:52

Gosh it's a funny age to have to talk to <helpful>. Maybe I'm woefully innocent, but I'd be hoping that none of them are sexually active, so I'm not quite sure of the purpose of the lesson.

Is it to inform them of the needs of a new born, or to scare the bejasus out of them about the hard work? grin

I've got a 13 yo, and I honestly don't know what he'd be expecting from the lesson. I think you really need need to ask your friend what angle she wants you to take.

Best of luck!

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 01:14:33

Thank you smile

Poonamis stitch ? grin

nat could you make that into a blue link please I'm on iPhone and it doesn't let me c&p from MN thank you smile

NatashaBee Mon 21-Jan-13 01:11:45

You could let a few of them practise putting a nappy on a teddy?

Maybe you could use some of the points from this as a starting point for discussion grin:

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/strbago.htm

Been sent it via email a few times, always makes me laugh.

Be honest, talk about an average day. Feeding (how often, mention bf and ff), Demo changing a nappy maybe or bathing with a doll.

Talk about the nice things like first smiles, how much you love them and want to protect them and the not so nice things like poonamis, sleepless nights, when they get sick.

Leave time for questions (they will have lots).

Good luck grin

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 00:56:33

My friend is a teacher and has asked me to go in and talk to her pupils about being a parent to a baby (dc2 is 11wks) I am now sitting here trying to think of what I will actually say !! confused

What is appropriate for that age ? I don't want ti bore them with "well at 6am I get up and put the kettle on" ! How do I tell them what it is like to have a baby without boring them ? What sort of questions should I expect and are there any inappropriate answers ?

I know my friend will try and tell me what she can but its happening on Wednesday it's all a bit last minute !

Oh I know visual aids are good any props I could take ? (apart from ds grin)

Tia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now