Further freakingly fantabulous adventures of the 40+ Mummies

(1000 Posts)
10000Fireflies Thu 17-Jan-13 20:13:44

For gorgeous, frolicking and fabulous 40-somethings to share the joys of becoming a Mummy, just a little bit later than most!! grin. Park your zimmer-frame next to your baby buggy, put your feet up, and come and join us in the snug.

littleredmonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 20:40:42

Napping gone tits up ladies. CIO disaster screams for hours so pulled the plug. I can't do it. Worse still as a result he won't sleep in his crib during the day. I cabt even put him in asleep he wakes I instantly. So will sleep on me. Or on the boob or pram. will give it a few days and try again. But if it's not meant to be then so be it. I have 5 months of mat leave left and stressing over the whole will spoil it. I will keep trying to put him down. He is self settling at night. Just did it 10 mins ago. I think the night routine as been the same from day one however the day has been all over the place from sleeping on me after feeding not feeding in his swing. In his basket. Just not a day napper. I found I have been
stressing toooo much about it like scarecrow says more tantalizing stuff

Again lots happening while I have been gone... Hello everyone.
Lrm I think night self settling is more important (thugh maybe that's because we don't get it for half the night!) so well done for that. And as you say, not worth stressing over - becomes self-defeating. Enjoy his lovely being!
bbd unfortunately I think I will not be able to meet up next week, as DH's grandma died, so we have a funeral and then will spend some time with his parents. But my work is very flexible so I am sure we will meet before long!
Cheeseday sounds just fantastic! Mmmm... Wouldn't mind one now.
scarecrow I am actually a grad of the other thread, I was just there under another name wink
In other news. For BG, two teeth, 9-12 month clothes, forward-facing car seat, pulling up on furniture. We are holding hard onto our hats. For mama goat, a haircut and colour. For the first time in about 18 months.
Wave at everyone else, and will catch up on thread properly soon. xx

scarecrow22 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:05:16

As a latecomer to the to-be thread I guess I missed you as BG was so early. Were you FirstBubba? Or whom? I joined in September I think - during Lib Dem party conference, or v close to (such happy memories ... I need to get a life!)

I was Brizzmus, and can't remember when I dropped off the thread - about the time when nighttime feeding nearly drove me totally insane, I think! I had a little rant about HELLP syndrome and how to recognise the signs, and faded gently away...

blueblackdye Fri 05-Apr-13 08:13:35

Goat, I keep being untactful - totally unconsciously, don't I ? I m sorry. Will correct all that as soon as I can get on my desktop. Sorry about your loss. Is DH ok ? Were they close ? on a lighther note, How does it feel to be pampered a bit ?
LRM, oh dear, poor you. Take it easy and enjoy baby M.
Scarecrow, 2 weeks left ? Are you getting ready ? Taking advantage of DC1 as much as you can ?
On my side, horrible cold which cough and runny nose. A has it too... DS brought it back from nursery, gave it to his sister and here I am, DH started having sore throat too.... I m going to stay under duvet all week end.

blueblackdye Fri 05-Apr-13 10:38:00

Back from GP because A has a red and swollen eye. First batch of antibiotics at 35 weeks, pffff sad good news is my cold is nothing more than a cold, lungs ok as well as throat. I m going to nap with A and DS all day and all week end...
Hope you are all doing better than us. Xxxx

Midgetm Sat 06-Apr-13 00:06:11

On holiday visiting the in laws and nudge has decided to have sleep regression. I knew if even A relapsed they all would. She is their sleep ring leader. BBD - have you tried boob milk to sort out A's eyes? Midge had conjunctivitis and boob milk cleared it completely in about 4 days.

Goat - so sorry about your loss x

Bbd so sorry to hear of the lurgy... Hope you are getting that duvet weekend! Ad that everyone is better soon.

Thanks for the good wishes, all. DH's gran was 101 smile shock and living independently at home until Christmas. Amazing lady. Apparently her grandmother died at 104. After going out to hang out the washing and falling over in the gale that was blowing. Funeral was in Colchester so was a day's outing, and BG went to childminder. She was a bit shock at finding out just what we mean when we say he is strong! She had a bit of trouble trying to change his nappy when he didn't want it done. However he fell in love with her ten year old daughter... and after an initial hysterical 20 minutes when he realised we weren't coming back any time soon, had a lovely day. Hooray for BG.

Re sleep. A is Charlie and other babies are her angels. Heads of cots are TV consoles. Babies whip out remote controls after being settled, wooden panels glide soundlessly upwards and screens appear. Babies then communicate next mission. Or maybe, given that I think some don't sleep in cots yet, it is more mission impossible style. This bottle will self destruct in five seconds.
Can you tell I'm still a bit sleep deprived?...

somewherebecomingrain Sat 06-Apr-13 13:08:49

Hello all baby somewhere is here! A 10lb chubster girl utterly, utterly gorgeous, ruddy and hairy. Have bad reception and not
Much capacity for typing on my tiny fone so will join you all properly after discharge from hosp some time today.

So in love. And wow the relief of not
Carrying 10lb of baby, 3litres amniotic fluid (so they tell me) and however much placenta is instant.

Xxx

blueblackdye Sat 06-Apr-13 14:29:56

Congrats Somewhere ! And welcome to baby Somewhere, 10lbs, what a healthy LO... You must be so happy and relieved. Enjoy the first moments ! Xxxxx

Congratulations, somewhere ! And every welcome to baby somewhere, doing well already at 10lb! We look forward to hearing more about you both. flowers Enjoy your first days together.

scarecrow22 Sat 06-Apr-13 19:46:32

Just calculated that's c 8 kg you were carrying around your middle, Somewhere. Feel tired for you! Plus extra blood, fluid retention, etc.
Other congrats, etc., on to-be thread.

BBD hope you all getting rest and recovering.

Goat also sorry to hear about DH's granny, though she sounds fabulous and hopefully you were able to celebrate her spirit (as in spirited!) at funeral. Lovely BG got on so well with CM too. He really is a trooper your little boy.

blueblackdye Sat 06-Apr-13 20:49:52

Midget, oh yeah, I forgot about the antiseptic properties of breast milk, thank you for reminding me. I have actually used some this afternoon to rinse both eyes, because now the second eye has white discharge too...
Somewhere, hope you are home now and resting
Scarecrow, I m better, the summit of the cold was yesterday, I think as my nose is fine, still coughing though. A's nose seems better too but the 2 eyes are infected. DH is in bed trying to get some sleep as A last night woke up every 2 hours until 3am and then 6.30am. Lets hope she sleeps better tonight.
Xxxxx

Midgetm Sun 07-Apr-13 00:11:01

Welcome baby somewhere, a 10lb space has been reserved in the snug for your little bottom.

scarecrow22 Sun 07-Apr-13 10:02:51

LRM, I'm a bit preoccupied or I would not have forgotten to ask how Midge is getting on. Do I remember you halted CC etc for a while to get over colds etc? Sounds v sensible. I really don't want to interfere but was searching for my old 'what to pack in the hospital bag' list on emails and found a full PDF copy of the book I mentioned that i read before doing some sleep training with DD. It was recommended by a lovely friend who probably makes her own wipes with natural oils from a cooperative in Venezuela - ie is not at all the obvious CC type. She had PND and was finally convinced of the need to sort out sleep for mum and baby's sake - and swore by this book. I felt able to make my own version of it at end, empowered by what I read and my knowledge of me and DD. all a long winded preamble to saying if you would like me to email the PDF feel free to PM me an email address. You can always set one a special freebie one if I am being presumptuous about anonymity etc. Offer stands for others too, obviously.

Book is The Sleep Sense Program by Dana Obleman.

I will not be in any way offended either way. And, yes, I have qualms about free PDF of a book, being a real book lover, but I spend so much on books to support authors and bookstores I'm allowing myself this (actually v small!) guilt trip blush

X

scarecrow22 Sun 07-Apr-13 10:05:50

Sorry, in my slightly preoccupied pre baby state NW see I have confused mummy LRM with babyMidget etc... blushblush Both baby Monkey and MidgetM welcome too!

somewherebecomingrain Sun 07-Apr-13 11:53:28

Hello!

Just loving my baby somewhere who is currently draped on my shoulder like a (10lb chubby cheeked) sleeping kitten. She is sleeping tremendously well - 5hrs last night - so i am surreally well rested but I am steeled for that to change.

knicky how are you?

mrsw where r u?

chairman gonna copy your cheese day idea.

Got to go will be back soon xxx

ChairmanWow Sun 07-Apr-13 13:57:15

Sorry not been on for a few days, and an advance apology that this is going to be a bit me, me, me but...

I think I have retained tissues. I've been feeling pretty dreadful since the birth. No energy, headaches I can't shake, needing to sleep loads. So on Friday night my lochia started smelling a bit nasty (nice) and I suspected a uterine inflection - I had one after DS and it was the same smell. Spoke to MWs and spent yesterday morning in hospital. I'm on antibiotics. I've now started losing small lumps of tissue. I really can't face another few hours in hospital so will raise with MW when she visits tomorrow - I've kept her a piece and put it in water as a lovely memento for her grin. Was warned that if the infection hasn't shifted by the end of the week I'll be scanned and may need a D&C. Post-natal nightmare!

BF-wise it's slow and steady. At 11 days my milk production is gradually creeping up. This could be related to the infection. She won't latch for long because she's a very hungry girl and I'm not enough for her but I'm getting her on for a little longer each day and she's getting about 90ml of expressed milk a day. Still a lot better than with DS, though I can't help feeling a little jealous at those who establish BF straight away. But she's getting some of the good stuff so can't complain.

Sorry to be so me-focused. Just needed to share. Will be back once I'm sorted and engaging with everyone.

knickyknocks Sun 07-Apr-13 18:32:48

chairman poor you - that sounds rotten. Crossing fingers you won't need that d and c. Well done on the BF. Think you're doing a brilliant job, when you must be feeling so wretched.
somewhere baby somewhere sounds adorable. 5 hours aswell! what a good girl! Giving her mum some well deserved rest. Long may that continue.
scarecrow you're next! How are you doing? Are you managing to get some rest?
goat so sorry to hear about your loss. Your DS sounds like he did so well at the childminders. You should be rightfully proud of him.

AFM, things are getting back to normal, still can't walk too far, but things are all healing now and are a lot more comfy than they were. Baby KK doing well, feeding every 2 to 3 hours, but still giving me lots of rest with a 3 or 4 hour nap in the afternoon. He's feeding every 3 hours over night and I seem to be coping OK with sleep deprivation. Just taking each day as it comes. Some days I feel completely fine and others I feel wiped out by early afternoon. I know these newborn days will pass quickly and so feel vastly different to how I felt in the early days with DD.

Have a huge number of visitors planned for this week. Hoping that a packet of chocolate digestives will sustain them all grin. Health visitor returning this week to repeat the newborn hearing test. DS failed it at the beginning of the week. Not overly concerned as DS seems to react when my noisy DD enters the room. Still hope he passes on Tuesday.

PS I'm officially in the mummy of a boy club. Have been weed on 3 times today.....grin

blueblackdye Sun 07-Apr-13 19:48:12

Chairman, no worries, come back and share as often as you need, the first week are tricky, we all need company ! Hope your retained tissue will clear up quickly and infection stop with antibiotics, were you told whether your placenta was incomplete ? Does this happen often ?
Well done on BF, 11 days is not that long, you will get there. Eagle will be here with lots of advice. My BF consultant said frequency and comfort are the most important things, if you are well seated, elbow and back supported, it does not matter how often/long baby is feeding. The more baby is on the breast, the better it is for the supply.
Knicky, very glad to hear you are healing and you and baby KK are doing so well.
Somewhere, your baby is an angel, a few hours of sleep makes such a huge difference ! DS did not sleep from day 1 on the contrary A slept from day 1, wonder if the time of the birth during the day plays a role ?
LRM, how are you, sweet ? Is baby M back to his sleep pattern or are you still suffering from the side effects of CC ? he is only 5 months, maybe you can give it an other go in a month or two ?
Goat, A is nowhere as mobile as baby G, but she can now pull herself holding on the bars of her cot so we had to put it this evening to the lowest position, I don't want another plunge smile
Midget, how is the car ? Did you take family and dog to visit inlaws in your new car ?
Scarecrow, I will pm you, always interested in childrearing stuff !

AFM, starting my new life tomorrow, freelancer ! And of course A is sick but DH has offered to take care of her if my babysitter does not come tomorrow as she also has a 5 mo baby.... Wish me luck for tonight sleep !

littleredmonkey Mon 08-Apr-13 08:46:48

Mmorning ladies
Somewhere welcome to little where. So exciting. Set u up a nice spot in the snug.
Good news I have lost three stone
Bad news baby monkey refuses to sleep in his crib in the day. Turning 6 months and tried cc balls it up. So I am sat in his nursing chair with him on me asleep all 18 lbs of him covered in a blanket snoring away. Very nice really
Bbh. Hope you are feeling better and hows a eyes today
Midget. What ya been cooking lately? Been whizzing about town in your new car
I have decided to have a few weeks not worrying about his naps. He sleeps well at night only woke once for a cuddle and once for a feed. Baby monkey will find a path

somewherebecomingrain Mon 08-Apr-13 11:28:56

Hi there

lrm if he sleeps well at night that's the cake! Naps are the icing. So I think you are right to chill out.

bbd interesting theory baby s was born at 12.06 pm - does this tally? Good luck with your first day as freelancer!

chairman that sounds awful I am so sorry. I hope they knock it on the head fast and you are back on your feet. No tmi xx

knicky absolutely agree with you about treasuring these newborn days. Glad you are feeling better and some kind of routine is emerging but you're wise - one day at a time as its so changeable - it takes a little while to work out what kind of baby one has.

Baby S got sent to hosp yesterday for a jaundice test - she looked orange and plus her long sleeps, the midwife thought it was indicated. But she was well below the line for intervention. God I'm sick of hospitals!

She was awake for a long time in the night which was good for feeds and for general signs of wellness but today shes even yellower.

But just gonna sit it out - there are none of the corresponding signs of a problem - she's feeding, waking (albeit at wrong time), pooing and weeing as she's supposed to. Doc said she could be yellow for many more days, weeks really, before they'd check her out again.

It does mean my sleep is probably finished - 3 broken hours last night. Here we go! The game is on - how to make her sleep in her Moses basket - and I'm not sure I have the strength to play it except i know its safer till shes older. i lost the battle last night - the only sleep I got was with her on the bed. With my ds (after 1pm) and dp in there too that's a squeeze and I feel I must keep her quiet for them.

Today Trying to keep her cool and therefore awake but after an hour in a sling I cannot rouse her!

Re c-section have realised I was on codeine an addictive opiate which was making me woozy and could be addictive. Have quit and feel a bit grumpy! Wish I'd not had it - have barely had any pain anyway.

Xxx

ChairmanWow Mon 08-Apr-13 13:14:39

Have you tried swaddling somewhere? I was a bit cynical but we got a swaddling blanket as a gift for DS and he slept really well in his Moses once we started using it. DD is doing pretty well with it too. The only problem is they grow out of them and there's a few nights adjustment when they're about 3 months. Worth it though. Hope you're getting more sleep soon. Can you do day naps?

lrm whatever gets you through. It's pretty nice to have them snuggled up. This phase won't last forever. I was driven to the brink of insanity by DS and his naps but he goes straight down with no fuss now.

knicky I agree with somewhere. It really does take time to get to know them. Bit weird given we carried them all that time. I hope DS gets into a good routine for you soon. It's so much harder when you have another child as well.

I'm feeling a wee bit better today so far. MW came and saw my little lump of nastiness and she thinks it's a bit of membrane and nothing to worry about. She said the antibiotics should start to kick in today. Fingers crossed! She's back on Friday to check my uterus has reduced but is hopeful I won't need a D&C. Baby W is piling on the weight like the greedy guzzler she is. And the mahoosive breast shield I need for my pump has arrived today so hopefully no more tedious hand expressing for me.

And best of all DS is in nursery and we're going out for afternoon tea. Hurrah!

scarecrow22 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:55:33

we saddled DD for 5 mo. they are all diff but I really believe it helped,at nights. no proof. just belief! definitely worth a try. DD broke free one arm from an early age, hen we stopped swaddling arms at all later, so transfer to sleep bag I remember as easier than expected.

littleredmonkey Mon 08-Apr-13 14:17:11

Thanks for support ladies. Been a better day no nap stress.
Chair. Glad you are feeling better honey. Take it easy when you can oh and a bit of chocolate wouldnt go a miss.

Somewhere. Hope you get some good sleeps this evening. Echo swaddling worth a go.

I feel soooo much better today. Yes baby monkey is a sleep on me but he is happier as well less grumbles today. I know he should be in his bed but he ho by the time I have spent the summer stressing over it he will be in nursery and it will change again. I am a happy mummy today not freaking out ever two hours at naps
Bbh. How is your first day going? Hope you had lots of coffee breaks hahaha

This thread is not accepting new messages.