Further freakingly fantabulous adventures of the 40+ Mummies

(1000 Posts)
10000Fireflies Thu 17-Jan-13 20:13:44

For gorgeous, frolicking and fabulous 40-somethings to share the joys of becoming a Mummy, just a little bit later than most!! grin. Park your zimmer-frame next to your baby buggy, put your feet up, and come and join us in the snug.

scarecrow22 Tue 19-Feb-13 08:54:30

Eagle - so so utterly wonderful to see you blooming over on grads thread. After all you went through your experiences will give me hope if (ok when!) I have tough days.
Re names, can you give any indication what you like? Even names you can't use (eg nieces, best friends' LOs etc?) I can't use Alice or Olivia, for example. Or Lucy (which means light, and makes me think of light beams through the water when you were swimming with the eaglerays smile ). Rachel is on my short list of two, but as only a less than 25pc chance (one baby - 51% likely girl - divided by my two names - and allowing for DH having an opinion shock) an you will know it as babyScarecrow, that should not be an issue!

Keep posting and see you properly in April smile

littleredmonkey Tue 19-Feb-13 09:32:06

VQ. Hugs to you honey. Hope j gets some long rests so you can. It is amazing how you have done especially with two dd as well. You should be immensely proud of yourself.
Eagle dont worry to much about your weight give yourself a month or two. Relax and enjoy baby. I got a bit too relaxed I went a bit carbs and sugar nuts to combat feeding issues and my shocking sleep deprevation. Still horrified I got from size 12 to 22 in 11 months. Brought a size 18 jeans Saturday so working in the right direction. Vq how you doing with your weight lose honey? I was aiming for 2 stone off by the end of Feb. Think I will be 3lbs short
Bbh. Yeh better naps still having to rock him to sleep but lasts only 5 mins now which keeps me slightly more sane. I will keep chipping away
Goat. I keep putting Dylan on his front. His neck is strong his little chubby legs shuffle. Lasts about 30 seconds then he licks the carpet and grumbles I want to be on my back mummy. When I was little I was sooooo lazy took ages to walk rather shuffle on my bum and play with my toes. My twin on the other hand got lifted up took two steps mum thought good start he must have practiced in his crib all night as the next morning he was running around like roadrunner. So I am waiting for him to be up and about in no time.
Thought last night I am half way through my mat leave. Ahhhhhhh going to quickly

ValiumQueen Tue 19-Feb-13 15:38:48

Thank you LRM

I am still as fat as ever and I couldn't care less. I just do not have the time or mental capacity to watch my weight. I need sleep first. Have bought some granules for wind to try on boy child tonight. I am also going to give him a bottle of formula early evening, or at least try to.

littleredmonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 08:01:44

Over an hour to get Dylan to nap this morning. Heating on dressing gown on sweating like a pig there was no lady glow her. Rocked him and put him down 8 times. Bless him and his cotton socks. Forgot I looked like shit went to put rubbish out and neighbour saw me. "rough night was it" he said. What I think I look stunning what with my hair all over. I have long hair so you can imagine the birds nest. No make up. Never mind my just feed off national geographic boobs. Oh he didnt see those. Just looked in the mirror. Holy crap. Good morning from me this fine Wednesday ladies xxx

scarecrow22 Wed 20-Feb-13 09:45:43

LRM - what time Dillon wake? (Wondering what gap is to nap?)

gringrin At your description. When DD started self feeding used to wear apron over work clothes for breakfast. One morning took off apron, put on coat an boots, opened front door and chill made me realise was about to head to work with no skirt on

littleredmonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 10:26:52

Heh scarecrow. Two hours since he woke. Yawning but not over tired. Just super unsettled. Gone down abit earlier for this nap. Took a brisk walk. Fresh air in his lungs a nice feed and in his basket. Only needed one pick up. I have tried leaving him to grumble hoping he will drop to sleep. Doesnt work he grumbles crys then goes nutty butty. Tapping him does nothing. Dont mind rocking him only takes 5 mins or so

littleredmonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 10:27:06

Haha. No skirt

blueblackdye Wed 20-Feb-13 10:30:16

grin grin LRM and Scarecrow

BadMissM Wed 20-Feb-13 13:19:42

Oh dear...if we're calling little ones according to how and where made... Mine will be called 'Lots of Gin on Samhain Burlesque Ball Night' !

eagleray Wed 20-Feb-13 13:56:52

Morning (afternoon I mean, didn't realise it was so late) we have some good news -Baby E is finally back at her birthweight! Put on 300g in last few days, which is a relief. Also found out something a bit odd - someone on MN asked me if I had had iv fluids during the birth as this can bump the birthweight up. I thought no initially, then recalled a thing sticking out of my hand and DP has confirmed that yes I was given fluids (my memory of this time is rather poor). Everyone (HCPs included) has expressed suspicions at the original birthweight as the weight loss was so drastic, and she has grown/developed more than her weight gain suggests. So this may well explain a lot...

Thanks for all the name suggestions - Asha is lovely, VQ. Most of the names on my shortlist are short, unusual with old or foreign origins. No wonder poor DP found it so hard to take it all on board.

Loving the skirtless look, Scarecrow sorry keep meaning to post on the mum-to-be thread but then something happens and I run out of time. Will drop in and say hello soon.

littleredmonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 19:17:15

My how and where. Home and after 6 months of bugger all carbs and sugar. So sugar and pizza induced loving = one beautiful baby Dylan.

How and where - home and so sure that we had missed the boat that particular month that I drank copious champagne for the next week.

Liking the New Mum chic that is going on. No skirt could be next big thing, coupled with crow's nest hair and I offer cow slippers that moo when they get stood on. Called Eddie and Ermentrude.

I need a bad mummy badge.
Kid pinged awake at 4:20 last night so I took him into bed, boxed him in as ever (has always corraled him until now) and went to get his bottle. Came back just as he fell off the bed having crawled over the pillows. sad blush the most horrible moment when I heard the crash against the radiator and had no idea which bit of him had hit it. Thank god was his feet. No harm done except to pride, and he looked pretty bemused to see his mum crying.
We - DH is on half term - then went out for a walk and...
And...
Left the front door wide open. shock

Fortunately nothing was gone. Except our peace of mind! The moment we realised just how tired we are.
Also having left the house without spare nappies/bottle/ tissues. Fortunately no catastrophes on that front.

Feeble waves to everyone else and I desperately hope for a better night tonight.

eagleray Wed 20-Feb-13 22:49:49

Sending you tons of sympathy goat all so easily done esp when sleep deprivation kicks in. Confess to leaving baby E in all sorts of places while I rush off to do things - really mustn't as even newborns seem to move like magic on occasions!

You've just reminded me - I tried to put diesel in my car on Monday - miles from home and with a starving, crying baby on the back seat. Wonder how that would have panned out had I succeeded!

Realised today that baby E's head is ginormous so looked it up and it is >97th percentile. Think they should have given me a f*cking medal as well as an episiostomy for squeezing her out shock

blueblackdye Wed 20-Feb-13 22:50:27

Goat, I am sending you Mr Sandman for baby Goat and for you too.

eagleray Wed 20-Feb-13 22:57:51

Seconding BBD re Mr Sandman - hope you get some restorative sleep tonight

Am lying in bed with a hot water bottle on my tummy (just cos I like it, not actually in pain) and suddenly thought oh no I'll burn the baby! No idea how I could actually have briefly forgotten the birth...

bytheseaside Wed 20-Feb-13 22:59:03

eventually caught up with all your chat! grin @ our mummy outfits - especially scarecrow! I tend to end up on the street in my slippers a lot, and have come oh-so-close to answering door with a boob out most days. Not sexy at all when paired with the scarecrow hair, baby sick and no makeup.

goat Lovely slippers smile I think every parent must do the bed thing that at some stage, dont feel bad! reinforced pillow system needed. I saw a foam wedge thing online that you put under fitted sheets to make a barrier that prevents rolling, not sure what it was called. Baby seaside perches on edge of bed, with bedside cot preventing her from falling out, but realised had not been properly attached for a week or so blush you sound very tired bless you - hope you catch up a bit tonight! Re the consultant appt, sounds like kid is doing well by any standards, let alone for a little prem - well done mum! I am avoiding baby development books mainly as I think I dont want to worry too much about whether baby seaside is catching up with herself - she seems healthy and happier by the day, so that's all I need for now.

eagle aah, I feel for your nappy disaster - I've been there. i wish i could say you will only do it once, but when you get so tired it might happen a fair bit! I think mums get to have the final say about names - a perk of childbirth. Espcecially if dp has no better suggestions. why not have a week of trying out a name each day to see what feels right? or stick with 'baby' a la dirty dancing. take the full legal 6 weeks to choose if you need it, i say. then theres always deed poll if you need it later. i like 'May' but wrong time of year.

happy hols midget! mmmm icecream

vq its not fair that youve had so rough a ride, its so tough being on so little sleep for so long - sending a great big hug. I know we have very different babies, and you are so much more experienced at this stuff than me so I hesitate to suggest this, but after 3 months of baby s being very unsettled night and day and me getting c. 3 hours sleepin dribs and drabs, we tried osteopathy, and its been pretty much like magic. Not a complete fix, but things are soooo much better now.

riverside congratulations and welcome! how are you doing?

bbd hows that beautiful Anastasia?

Thank you for giving Mr Sandman our address smile Unfortunately he could not contend with tummy problems so he was last seen trailing disconsolately off down the road, dragging his sack of dreams behind him. I hope he was not put off entirely and will be back tonight - tummy resolved itself at 6:30 with the most enormous poo ever (sorry to lower the tone!). BG is now sitting in his bouncy chair chatting happily about the rattly toucan he is bashing the floor with.
How is the mastitis, seaside ?
eagle grin for forgetting you aren't prenant any more for a moment!
Hope everyone slept better than we did!

blueblackdye Thu 21-Feb-13 08:43:59

Eagleray, so glad baby has gained weight, you must be so relieved now. Is your Mum back with you ? How are you doing ?
Goat, Anastasia really enjoys eating banana, she gets so excited when she sees me peeling one, then I thought, OMG what if she gets constipated ? I made banana and apple compote yesterday but she did not like it, spoon fed rather than finger food ? Or too much lemon juice in it ? Do you think baby goat may have had too much carb or protein causing tummy issue ?
Seaside, hope mastitis is a long gone memory. Anastasia is doing well. She sleeps all night and morning nap is out of the window.
VQ, I second Seaside on osteopathy. It worked wonders on Anastasia, she had trouble getting burps out, one session and it was over. In France, it is now offered as standard in most hospital and recommended during the first month.

bbd BG LOVES banana! But then he seems to love everything confused Added chicken stock to the veg today and he hoovered it. We do purées as he couldn't cope with lumpy stuff at first, but I am going to try a bit of finger food very soon. You could be right about too many carbs, although I also wondered about slight dehydration, as it is quite tricky to get him to drink milk. Fortunately there was more of that today, as well as water, so if that's the case it may be solved.
Hope I get more than 60 minutes sleep tonight.
Good nights ordered for all round! Delivery imminent.

blueblackdye Thu 21-Feb-13 19:56:51

Alert, big moan coming. I could have strangled DH tonight. 2 hours with DS who not only refused to listen but also cried, screamed, yelled and stomped. Of course Anastasia got scared and started crying too. I was dealing with cooking, bathing and comforting A. DH came back, late for the second week, told him that DS should not have his bedtime story reading tonight due to bad behaviour, repeated it to DS when he came to kissme good night, which he acknowledged, 2 secs later, DH read story. I really feel like less than shit. It has been the same old story for 4 years, I say white, he says black, no wonder why DS does not behave, why would he listen to me and do what I ask when his dad doesn't ? OMG, I am so angry. Arrrgggghhhhhh

bbd that would get me absolutely angry too and I would be having Words of a strong nature. That's tough to have to deal with.

eagleray Thu 21-Feb-13 21:29:53

BBD - gosh, that is so undermining - I feel really sorry for you, especially as you are so capable and clever with your childrearing skills. I have already experienced vaguely similar with DP and to me it feels like he's trying to assert some control over a situation in which he possibly feels a bit inferior (eg refusing to warm DD's formula, disagreeing on name etc). Sorry also that it's been going on so long for you sad

Loving the words 'she sleeps all night' - I will hold onto those in the hope that I will be enjoying similar in a few months' time!

I'm home alone this week, by the way (mum's visit was a one-off) and we are mostly coping, although the prospect of those wakeful nights really scare me (having said that, I don't think I have it as tough as some people as DD will sleep for 3 hours at a time)

Goat - great that Baby Goat loves all those foods! I was a big fan of bananas too when very small (and got one for dessert tonight)

You can pass the Bad Mummy badge to me to wear now - today I've taken Baby E out to her osteopathy appt totally underdressed for the weather - the poor thing was frozen by the time we got home (although I don't think I can take the blame for the lack of hat as it just kept on falling off). Then I managed to tip expressed breast milk all over the hall rug which has probably ruined it. Baby E has been in a sling all eve (in an attempt to thaw her out) and managed to cover her in nachos when I ate dinner blush

Seaside - grin at the boob out scenario - have nearly offered a boob to the poor postman... really must learn to contain myself as totally reliant on him for Ebay parcel deliveries...

ValiumQueen Fri 22-Feb-13 02:23:45

seaside I have heard good things about osteopathy. Expensive though but if it worked would be worth it. France seems so advanced in child health.

eagle I too am convinced about IV fluids and swollen thus heavier babies. LLL are hoping to get C section babies weighed 24 hours post delivery for baseline to allow for this. All three of mine have had difficulties regaining birth weight but have gone on to be chubby babies.

J seems to be getting better with his sleep, waking twice at night. After 120 nights though I am very bored of this game.

Midgetm Fri 22-Feb-13 09:23:41

BBD sorry DH is being such a nobber. Hugely inappropriate to undermine you like that and I would also be livid.

Weighing in on the IV debate. I also had them and DS also dropped over 10%. I was never that worried but did succumb to some of the guilt the HCP's were laying on me. Topped up twice then thought screw you, he's fine and ignored the scale police. Master midge now also chubby.

This thread is not accepting new messages.