Children and pubs

(98 Posts)
carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 12:55:37

Hi, new here.
I live near a pub and watching out of my window today I have seen three people turn up to the pub to eat with under 5s.
What do people think about taking children into pubs??

aufaniae Thu 17-Jan-13 14:20:22

I'm still curious what your problem with it is?

Why are you asking, exactly?

OwlCatMouse Thu 17-Jan-13 14:20:36

I don't really understand why you care, OP.

Numberlock Thu 17-Jan-13 14:21:19

that my son (he's 2 btw) asks if he can go to the pub now

That's brill, neri. You're definitely bringing him up right!

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:23:12

I think you are confused about the difference between society and culture.
I haven't said anything like the things that are being suggested.
I observed something and asked a question in relation to it.

wishingchair Thu 17-Jan-13 14:23:15

Also in many villages, the only place to eat within walking distance is the pub. Not everywhere has a Pizza Express and a Costa (although it bloody well feels like it sometimes)

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 14:23:51

Sorry OP but it is your tone that suggests that you have a problem/issues with it

GirlOutNumbered Thu 17-Jan-13 14:23:57

We always go to our local pub for lunch on a Sunday and sometimes more if we are not at work. It's a great atmosphere and personally I think it's important to support the trade. So many pubs shutting down, its terrible.

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:29:02

I asked out of curiosity.
I have no strong opinion as it doesn't effect me one way or the other.
I'm trying to understand the cultural change.

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 14:29:09

"I think you are confused about the difference between society and culture."
biscuit

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 14:29:59

Sorry OP but I really felt patronised at that remark, I am off to the pub

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:30:38

The operation and therefore the view of pubs has shifted greatly apparently.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Thu 17-Jan-13 14:34:02

Nothing wrong in it whatsoever.
A family meal out at the local, very normal british pastime.

Visit one sometime, you may grow to like itsmile

neriberi Thu 17-Jan-13 14:35:33

numberlock he's also started saying "daddy drink beer" when we drive past a pub or see a beer advert hmm

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 14:35:58

Are you a journalist OP ?? Is this going to appear in the Daily Mail tomorrow "According to carpedium Mothers up and down the country are taking their toddlers to the pub on a regular basis "

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:38:01

Gosh what a nice, friendly bunch. So pleased I bothered to pose a question.

Callisto Thu 17-Jan-13 14:40:33

I honestly don't get your point Carpediem, sorry.

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:42:14

My daughter is now 21, I'm not a journalist, I went to university when she was three so didn't have the time or money to lunch anywhere. I was interested in how things have changed and why they have.
Simple as that, no motive.

TheFallenNinja Thu 17-Jan-13 14:45:24

I think kids should be made welcome into family restaurant/pubs. I don't think kids should be in pubs where it is drinking and sky sports. Equally I don't think people should go to family restaurant/pubs for a piss up.

olgaga Thu 17-Jan-13 18:37:46

The operation and therefore the view of pubs has shifted greatly apparently

Well you could say that about most things over the past 20 years! Have you not noticed? Pubs had to change because you no longer had to go to an offy for booze - you can pick it up in the supermarket. Even (gasp) on a Sunday! So pubs had competition for the first time as people found it cheaper and easier to drink at home, or pre-load on cheap booze before going out clubbing. Then the smoking ban meant you could no longer go to the pub for a drink and a smoke if that was banned at home, so you might as well have a drink at home and hang around your own front/back door.

Pubs are still closing at an alarming rate - those which have survived have diversified into food and unlike in the past, they welcome punters of all ages and both sexes, with or without children - and smokers have to park themselves outside.

Why don't you go to to that pub you keep watching out of your window? You can see for yourself how things have changed. You might be pleasantly surprised and find some breastfeeding mums there, enjoying juice or tea or treating themselves to a coffee! As well as mums of toddlers and older children having a civilised glass of wine or a pint of well-kept real ale while their kids have a J20 or something like that.

Go to any family pub for Sunday lunch. You'll see lots of families - Grandparents, parents, kids etc all having lunch together, enjoying themselves.

Thank goodness pubs have changed!

ThePathanKhansWitch Fri 18-Jan-13 00:34:20

At least the kids are inside nowadays.

My childhood Saturday afternoons were spent on the steps of the local, with a bottle of pop and a glass tub of winkles. [
grin]. Happy days!

olgaga Fri 18-Jan-13 16:15:07

Vimto and salt-n-shake crisps. If the weather was really bad you might be allowed just inside the back door (exciting!).

At least my DH got to sit in his dad's Morris Minor. He and his brother would then be driven home - no matter how lengthy the session.

Oh yes, those were the "good old days".

ThePathanKhansWitch Fri 18-Jan-13 16:32:58

Ha! Yy little blue packet of salt, bring them back.

thesnootyfox Fri 18-Jan-13 17:46:36

I have taken my children for meals in pubs. When I was younger we only went to pub gardens in the summer holidays never inside a pub, I don't think children were allowed back
then.

I think the cultural change has come about because more pubs offer food, eating at a pub like JD Wetherspoon is cheaper than eating in Costa or McDonalds. The smoking ban has made pubs more attractive for families.

I know of people who take their children to spit and sawdust pubs and make them sit there whilst they get hammered. That isn't acceptable and never has been. However taking them out for lunch in your local is quite pleasant. Can't see why that would be an issue.

thesnootyfox Fri 18-Jan-13 17:49:39

I used to meet my ante natal friends in an upmarket pub for coffee. 20 breastfeeding mums and tiny babies meeting in a pub would have been unthinkable back in the Seventies.

GingerDoodle Fri 18-Jan-13 21:46:48

We've taken DD (now 3 1/2 months) to pubs since she was 2 days old. I don't believe my life has ended now I have a child and I am partial to a drink and burger! Its good for children to leave how to behave!

Personally I find i've been far more disturbed by other adults in pubs than I have ever by a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now