Children and pubs

(98 Posts)
carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 12:55:37

Hi, new here.
I live near a pub and watching out of my window today I have seen three people turn up to the pub to eat with under 5s.
What do people think about taking children into pubs??

The pubs near me are all family friendly and food focussed. I often go for sunday lunch with friends and several under 5s. As a kid I remember having to sit outside in the rain sharing a chicken and chips in a basket with my sister, as children weren't allowed in the bar. I think today's more inclusive attitude is an improvement.

josie81 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:41:57

I think the smoking ban is probably a part of people feeling more comfortable taking DCs out to pubs these days. I think it's fine, take ours for pub lunches regularly and he enjoys it, brings his colouring pencils and does a bit of people watching!

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:42:51

I guess there aren't any people who drink too much alcohol in the pubs you all go to which suggests they aren't really pubs anymore but restaurants with extra licensing privileges.

aufaniae Thu 17-Jan-13 13:45:16

I remember meeting my ante-natal group in a pub, when the babies were about a month or two old.

It was a nice place to meet (large, comfy sofas, decent food, lovely big windows to people and pretty empty during the day).

We were a fairly large group, with buggies, changing bags and at least 3 of us breastfeeding at any one time. I had a moment when I imagined the old guys, many years ago who were against letting women into pubs. I imagined them saying "you can't let women in, next they'll be bringing their children in and breastfeeding everywhere" wink grin

Damn right, society is changing. And it's a good thing!

wigglesrock Thu 17-Jan-13 13:46:58

I would call it a pub that does food, calling ours a restaurant is a definite stretch grin I'm confused as to why during the day you would think there might be an issue taking under 5s in at lunch time? Is the alcohol, other people there?

olgaga Thu 17-Jan-13 13:53:28

It depends on the pub doesn't it?

Most pubs nowadays are "family" pubs - more like restaurants really. They've had to change, they were losing so much business.

We go out to family pubs quite regularly, and even "drinkers' pubs" are reasonably welcoming if you just need a quick drink and visit the loo. Occasionally we'll come across one which isn't licensed for children in the bar, but I can only think of that happening twice in the last 10 years - one of those was an All Bar One who said children weren't permitted after 6pm (this was about 6.15) and one off Oxford Street after we'd been to see the Selfridges window display just before Xmas.

I'm not propping him up on a stool at the bar and buying him a half grin

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:54:31

Society hasn't changed, alcohol consumption has increased if anything, peoples expectations of pubs has.
A pub would not have been a place to teach children manners, the opposite I would imagine.
So pubs have changed, the majority think that's a good thing it would appear.

BertieBotts Thu 17-Jan-13 13:55:14

There are alcoholics in lots of places.

But yes I wouldn't take my DC into what I would call an "old man pub" or the local student bar, but a family friendly one, yes definitely.

Do you think there should be places which exist solely as places for people to go when they want to drink too much? Because I don't think encouraging alcoholism is particularly helpful or constructive to society. Whereas sitting down and having a nice relaxed drink or two with a meal is a very good way to introduce DC to the idea of alcohol.

BertieBotts Thu 17-Jan-13 13:57:03

And YY I wouldn't expect to take DC to a pub in the evenings - more because I imagine it would be overwhelming and frightening for them more than anything else.

wigglesrock Thu 17-Jan-13 13:58:10

Why would a pub not be the place to teach children manners - surely out and about dealing with other people ie ordering food, paying bills etc, accepting what you've ordered is a perfect example of manners. As is wait your turn, listen, don't talk over people etc, lets all eat together. My children are better mannered when we go for something to eat than at other time probably. It has nothing to do with my gimlet stare and the bribe of jukebox money grin

rubyrubyruby Thu 17-Jan-13 13:59:21

I think location plays a part too.
We have to drive 15mins to a restaurant but we have 2 pubs that serve food within walking distance.

I've seen drunk people in restaurants.

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 13:59:24

As you say there are pubby pubs and pubs that are not so full of workmen on friday afternnon that do great home cooked food or even wetherspoon type places that do good cheap deals.
I guess we all have to carpe diem when we can!!

PatriciaHolm Thu 17-Jan-13 14:00:50

A pub would not have been a place to teach children manners, the opposite I would imagine.

Do you think the demise of such places is a bad thing?

We frequently take our children to nice foodie pubs, and have often stayed in one at a weekend with them, so they are very used to it. I wouldn't take them to a rough beer-only place, but "pub" covers a wide range of establishments.

OwlCatMouse Thu 17-Jan-13 14:02:18

There are plenty of pubs near us that only serve food in the day, thinking about it. During the day it is fine to take children there, but after 7 or 8pm they stop serving and children aren't allowed after that time.

aufaniae Thu 17-Jan-13 14:03:12

carpediem70 no, they're not restaurants, they're pubs. The main difference is that it's acceptable to just hang out in pubs, there's no pressure to give up your table to another customer.

This is why I love being in pubs (not that I get a chance to do it often these days!)

A good child-friendly pub is a great place to spend a Sunday afternoon IMO. Not all pubs are overrun with children, though, you do have a choice here!

There's a lovely one I went to in Sussex this summer, which has a field out the back, beyond the pub tables. The grown-ups had a lovely lunch, while a group of about 12 children had a great time playing with each other and running riot in the field.

I fail to see any problem in that?

ChunkyPickle Thu 17-Jan-13 14:03:51

I see what you mean about not wanting children in pubs - but surely what you really mean is not wanting annoying children in pubs.

On the other hand, I don't want annoying adults in pubs, yet there seems to be no shortage.

DP and I nipped into a pub with sleeping DS whilst on an evening constitutional, whilst sat having a drink, a load of loud and enthusiastic lads came in and started drinking and swearing at the next table (which is fine - it's a pub after all), when one of the boys spotted DS's buggy he immediately told his mates to calm down on the swearing (and they all did - pretty much!) which I thought was lovely and clearly shows that there are plenty of the youth out there with manners.

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:04:06

Pubs quite clearly aren't what pubs once were. There is a licensing act for a reason. So it's a cultural change.

neriberi Thu 17-Jan-13 14:05:13

There are several pubs in our little town but only 2 our child friendly and we go to both of them regularly, so much so that my son (he's 2 btw) asks if he can go to the pub now.

Both pubs have amazing locals, lovely gardens and friendly staff who know us all by name. We get to go out as a family to a place where we're all welcome for a leisurely drink and bite to eat.

aufaniae Thu 17-Jan-13 14:08:01

"Society hasn't changed"

Which world do you live in?

Society has changed enormously over - well pick any timescale - let's say the last 40 years.

Children are not allowed or welcome in all pubs. You do have a choice here!

What is your problem with this exactly? Is the presence of children inhibiting your desire to get ratarsed in the daytime, or are you concerned for the children?

wishingchair Thu 17-Jan-13 14:08:13

Don't think it's a recent thing. My nieces and nephews (in their 20s now) were always taken to pubs. I didn't go as a child but only because we didn't have any money for eating out. We've always taken our children to pubs ... so many of them are family places these days. But yes, the nuggets/sausages/burger and chips menu really bugs me. Even some really lovely places that bore you silly about how they locally source all their food (if they can't grow it themselves in their kitchen garden of course), organic this, seasonal that ... then disappoint with a truly terrible kid's menu.

imnotmymum Thu 17-Jan-13 14:11:32

What on earth as the licensing act got to do with it ?? And some pubs are still what they were and some are not but is that so bad when women sat in a different room and you could not see for haze ?? I am failing to see your argument carpedium.
You do not agree with kids in pubs and that pubs should have evolved like many things in life I guess?

carpediem70 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:13:19

I have only asked whether people believed taking under 5's to pubs was the norm.
Noting that a cultural change means it is.

BertieBotts Thu 17-Jan-13 14:16:03

You sound like a grumpy old man OP (tongue in cheek!) grin

OwlCatMouse Thu 17-Jan-13 14:16:16

confused

olgaga Thu 17-Jan-13 14:19:20

I have only asked whether people believed taking under 5's to pubs was the norm.

Well it was for us! You do tend to plan ahead. Lots of pubs nowadays even have indoor play areas.

We would also take DD to restaurants, shopping centres, just about everywhere, given that it's not actually safe (or legal!) to leave under 5s at home when you go out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now