baby books recommended please

(16 Posts)
papooshka Thu 10-Jan-13 06:07:16

I really loved 'Baby love' by Robin Barker, it's an Australian book but sure you can get it in the uk. I found it great as not alarmist and very down to earth advice.

Scrumptiousboy Thu 10-Jan-13 06:02:52

placey congratulations - it must be so exciting to become a grandmother. Having only recently had my little boy, I too was faced with the fact that those around me had followed advise from years gone by and recommendations have changed. And some guidance is still up for debate - for example I was told there is no reason why you shouldn't continue with swaddling as long as you don't swaddle the baby too tight and remember not to add a blanket on top. In fact, the midwives at the hospital swaddled all babies! I'd check with your daughters midwife.

I bought Dr Miriam Stoppards baby books as reference books. I find them helpful as they include a lot of photos as practical guidance. I also couldn't recommend the DVDs from Essential Parent Company enough - I would suggest watching them with your daughter so you can discuss the matters and agree on best way for your family.

There are plenty books around that will try and guide you in a certain direction - routine or no routine. This really is for your daughter to decide so I would just stick to facts and then follow her preference.

Good luck and I hope the new arrival will bring you plenty of joy!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 07-Jan-13 12:50:47

Cheung - i disagree - i find cloth nappies a lot easier.
and my god, are they a lot less smelly!

Placey Mon 07-Jan-13 09:19:08

Wow, thank you all so much. I came online and wondered if I'd even be able to find the right page again. And there they were, all those useful and encouraging replies. That's brilliant - thank you Cheungfun for your tips - I swaddled both mine and was going to recommend it but now I'll keep my mouth shut and not show my ignorance. Also useful tip to check warmth. Shell def get 'What to expect' - sounds just what I need. Good to be reminded about Health Visitor input (my mum kept forgetting the name when my DD was born and told her friends the Social Worker came regularly.) And thanks Starfish mummy - I will remember to listen to DD. Would like to mention all your names - I'm grateful to you all.

CheungFun Sun 06-Jan-13 19:18:49

Hi Placey, you know I think you'll be fine!

My Mum and I have had quite a few conversations on what has changed and the main things are:

* disposable nappies are wonderful and sooooo much easier than cloth nappies!

* at antenatal classes we were told you shouldn't swaddle the baby (risk of overheating), always put the baby to sleep on their back with their toes at the bottom of the cot, and check the baby isn't too hot/cold by checking their chest and the back of their neck (their hands and feet are sometimes cold when the rest of their body isn't and this is fine).

* it is advised not to wean the baby onto solids until 6 months now, so stick to milk only.

The best books I've read has been 'What to Expect - The First Year' as it's very reassuring and practical and it doesn't seem to have any agenda or 'this is the only way to do things' attitude. I also found 'The Baby Led Weaning Cookbook' really helpful once I decided to move on from purées with DS as it gave me the confidence to add some spice to recipes and the recipes are straightforward, quick and simple to prepare and cook.

Enjoy being a nan!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sun 06-Jan-13 19:14:30

ps. i thought you meant you wanted a book to help your dd as opposed to her wanting a book!
she doesn't need a book either imo

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 06-Jan-13 19:13:10

Your baby week by week - by Fertleman and someone
I found it brilliant for the first few months.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sun 06-Jan-13 19:12:51

i don't think you need a book.
read mumsnet.
seriously.
i had the bounty book thing (so free) and used mumsnet for any other questions that came up.

of course mnhq sent me a copy of babies a mumsnet guide when i was very overdue and it was extremely helpful.

and YouTube was a godsend for breastfeeding help.

forevergreek Sun 06-Jan-13 19:12:25

You can also order the NHS one online I believe. Which should be up to date with the practices of current bottle making guidelines, safe sleeping etc

starfishmummy Sun 06-Jan-13 19:09:00

I think the best thing is to be guided by what your daughter wants - so maybe ask her which she is using and then you can talk about how she wants to do things!

BertieBotts Sun 06-Jan-13 19:08:42

After the baby is born she will get this book, sorry, not yet.

The Wonder Weeks is supposed to be very good about development and when to expect fussy periods etc, some of my friends swear by this. But generally I think you can't go far wrong trusting your instinct and asking questions.

BertieBotts Sun 06-Jan-13 19:06:55

The No Cry Sleep Solution is good about sleep.

For current recommendations etc, your DD will be given a book by her health visitor at one of the first home visits called the NHS birth to five book which contains all current recommendations for things like sleep, feeding, weaning, potty training etc. All of this information is also available on the NHS website, although of course it's not in an easy to read book form, you'd have to search for articles etc.

Canihavesomemore Sun 06-Jan-13 19:02:19

X post

Canihavesomemore Sun 06-Jan-13 19:01:33

I read every book possible and I found "what to expect: the first year" as the best general go-to reference book. It really is written like a reference book sectioned up month by month and I found it answered most questions (although I always came back to mumsnet to read more grin)

books on sleep are a whole other story...

You need to buy about 4 or 5 and see what works best for you. I ended up doing a loose E.A.S.Y (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time) schedule basic concept is feed, activity:burp, change nappy, cuddle, back to sleep this starts in about 1-2 hour cycles in the beginning and slow goes up to 3

Hope that helps good luck wink

mumof4sons Sun 06-Jan-13 19:01:08

I used What to Expect When Expecting book and also What to Expect: The Toddler Years book. They were my go to books when I needed reassurance or just wanted to know what I was experiencing was normal.

Congrats on the grandchild.

Placey Sun 06-Jan-13 17:09:35

I'm a new member and hope I've come to the right place. My daughter's expecting a baby, due in March. My OH (see, using acronyms already) and I will be involved in childcare. Last night I realised that I don't know anything about modern child care practice - eg which way up to lay them. When ours were small you had to put them on their tummies so they wouldn't choke. We used terry nappies! I feel so old! Please you dear young mums, can you recommend a book that will tell me all I need to know. DD lives far away so we are moving - all a lot to cope with.
Thanks
Placey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now