Too late for 2yo to eat??

(21 Posts)
BenRoo Sat 05-Jan-13 20:44:47

Thanks for your replies!

DH talked to FIL this morning....
Apparently we're meeting at 6.30,will order and the pub will start cooking at 7pm.
Think he must be slightly familiar with the pub to be that confident.

I'll opt for feeding him earlier as normal then hope that he grazes throughout our meal.
2nd pub is asking a bit too much. I'll just have to stand my ground!

Wish me luck.

beela Sat 05-Jan-13 18:02:28

We've had a couple of christmassy late nights recently with our 2yo DS, but in other homes, not pubs, and he has done better than I expected.

I agree with other posters, I would feed at usual time and then take him along and see how long he lasts with a few snacks, some toys, and lots of people to entertain him. It might also be an excuse to leave early, depending on how much fun you are (or are not) having!

If you want to enjoy yourself and relax though, I would go for a babysitter and explain to FIL that you don't want to ruin the occasion with a stroppy toddler (and lay it on a bit thick about how cranky he might get when tired).

matana Sat 05-Jan-13 09:00:06

Oh and DS wouldnt sit still for long, so he's better if he can move around, walk etc and then doesnt tend to get as crabby. There are 2 toddlers in my family so we always try to get a table somewhere we wont disturb others. Or a separate room.

matana Sat 05-Jan-13 08:53:04

That is late for most 2 year olds and we would struggle with our DS. If I were in your situation I would feed my DS at the nromal time, and offer him snacks during the meal like olives and breadsticks. I would make it clear to all that if he behaves badly its because he's normally in bed by then and would appreciate help from people interacting with him. I would take the buggy and his bedtime teddies and see if he would sleep if it got too late.

DD 15 months went to a pub for dinner at 7pm on Christmas Eve (family members birthday). It was an hours drive away and we ate at 7.45pm.

I was a little concerned but it was a big family gathering and we only moved back to the UK in September so have missed a lot of these type of events, so having the opportunity to see extended family at Christmas was lovely.

I gave her dinner as usual at 5pm, but a slightly smaller amount than normal. She slept in the car on the way as it was dark, was happy as larry in the pub, ate some more dinner and some pudding, played with her cousins, went in the toddler ball pool and generally had fun.

At half past nine we took her to my Aunt's house, topped, tailed and pj'd, gave her her milk and put her in the car. She fell asleep immediately, slept all the way home, stayed asleep when I transferred her to her cot and didn't wake up until 8.30am on Christmas Day. She was fine all day too.

I would go to the first pub - but there is no way I would have taken her to another pub afterwards. There's joining in family events with a toddler - but there's also taking the piss. A second pub is the latter - your ILs should realise this.

BenRoo Fri 04-Jan-13 20:49:20

We've had quite a few late nights recently being Xmas and all.
But they've been at houses not pubs.
I'm quite nervous of having a fractious toddler tantruming & tearing around in a pub Tbh!

Sirzy Fri 04-Jan-13 20:46:46

Some places dont let children in after 9pm.

I wouldn't take 3 year old DS to a meal that late because I know he wouldn't nap during the day and being up so much past bedtime would lead to a very grumpy little boy which wouldn't be fair on anyone.

BenRoo Fri 04-Jan-13 20:44:47

The story is unfolding....
FIL wants kids there.
The SIL & MIL finish work nearby at 6-6.30.

3ForMe Fri 04-Jan-13 20:44:26

And I'd make excuses for the 2 Nd pub I think.

I think one late meal is enough.

I'd imagine, even if your son napped in the car on the way to the meal, he'll be ready for bed by half nine ish.

Maybe talk it through with your dh and come up with a plan.

BenRoo Fri 04-Jan-13 20:42:50

Buggy & pjs - check
Bedtime 8ish

mamij Fri 04-Jan-13 20:41:59

Mine would be tired and fractious at that time, so I'd probably not go and just send DH along. Either that, or get a baby sitter while you Ho and enjoy yourselves.

3ForMe Fri 04-Jan-13 20:41:51

Ds- sorry!

BenRoo Fri 04-Jan-13 20:41:07

Apparently he also wants to take the kids (2yo & 4yo) to another pub after the meal to 'show them off to his mates' hmm

My ILs always think I'm being 'funny' so I'm weary of kicking anything off again sad

Beamur Fri 04-Jan-13 20:39:40

What is your usual bedtime for your DS?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 04-Jan-13 20:38:51

I would feed them earlier and take a buggy. If they are awake and want to eat and chat - great, if not then they can sleep in the buggy.

3ForMe Fri 04-Jan-13 20:38:42

I would feed baby as normal at 5 ish, and hopefully your lo will have a nap in the car on the way to the pub.

Then baby should be refreshed a little for sitting down for a while. Just order light snacks for her instead of a meal.

Take plenty of toys.

I wouldn't suggest changing the time. It's not your birthday and might come across the wrong way.

One night out of her normal routine should be fine.

And take pj's to pop her in for on the way home, then you can just slip her into bed (hopefully)

Fairyegg Fri 04-Jan-13 20:37:14

It doesn't seem that late to me and I don't think it's fair to ask lots of adults to bring it forward just to suit you o be honest. I would feed them something light at the normal time and again when everyone else eats, but would also bring a buggy to put them to sleep in if they got to tired.

Harrysmummysarah1 Fri 04-Jan-13 20:37:02

I can't imagine trying to feed an over tired toddler at that time won't be a great experience for you.
My 7 and 4 year old are in bed by 7 weekdays. There fed at 4:30-5. Even on a weekend when they go to bed about 8:30 their still fed about 5:30 and would be far to tired by 8 to eat.

Beamur Fri 04-Jan-13 20:34:30

I think you might find yourself if for a difficult time with a fractious child by that point. Either an earlier time or a babysitter would make life a lot easier for you.

3smellysocks Fri 04-Jan-13 20:32:43

It would be too late for mine too. Ask them if they want the DC to attend and if yes can they move the time. Even a 6 start might make things slightly more bearable.

BenRoo Fri 04-Jan-13 20:21:04

Its my FILs 65th birthday at the end of this month.
He's planned a meal for 7pm at a pub a fair drive away.
We'd probably only eat at 8ish.
My DS normally eats somewhere between 5-6.30.
I'll probably feed him at this time anyway to save any hysterics BUT I'm not convinced its too late for a 2yo to be expected to sit quietly around a table in a pub on a Saturday night?!?!?
AIBU to suggest an earlier time or should I just go with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now