Guns

(4 Posts)
tiger66 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:17:15

Looking for your opinions on this one. Our thinking has always been that the kids don't play with guns. However ds (4) now gets upset as all the boys at nursery play with guns and want to shoot each other. He has commented that he wants to go to a nursery where there are nice boys that don't play with guns. Now I worry that I have created a situation whereby he isn't fitting in because I don't want him to play with guns. Any advice welcome

culturalwasteland Tue 01-Jan-13 15:06:21

Hi tiger

I dont think you have created a situation at all. we have consistently refused to get our ds 1 (4.9) a gun as well and we are not budging on it. My concern would be with the nursery allowing this? do they not have a no toys rule to avoid such situations? i know the centre my ds attends do not allow any toys and definitley do not have guns as part of their toy range in the centre. Maybe have a word with them about this?

tiger66 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:27:08

Thanks for answering. I don't think they have guns per say but the boys seem to build them out of knex or sticks in garden. I have spoken to the nursery on more than one occasion about this and one comment was that If we restrict children's play it can reduce their self esteem. I'm having a I'm a bad mother moment hmm

lola88 Tue 01-Jan-13 19:53:29

He has commented that he wants to go to a nursery where there are nice boys that don't play with guns

I would be worried that he's putting himself in a position to be left out because he's telling the other boys they are not nice for playing with guns if he doesn't want to play with them he doesn'y have to surely he can just do something else. You can't really expect the nursery to stop other children playing with kid on guns because you don't like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now